What's new

Blu-ray Review My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Oct 31, 1997
Messages
12,367
I could fill an entire page with praise for the A/V quality of this release, extolling it's various and numerous virtues. But instead I'll just say Thank You Mr. Harris for giving this movie the A+++ treatment it deserves for home theaters. I look forward to repurchasing the 4K UHD release of this in the coming years when that format becomes prevalent for home use. In the meantime, for those on the fence, IMO this literally the best this movie can look and sound for the home environment.
 

MSC77

Agent
Joined
Aug 2, 2013
Messages
30
Real Name
Michael Coate
Given all of the recent chatter here about “My Fair Lady,” I suppose I ought to pass along the link to the recently-published article done for my film history column at The Digital Bits. The piece includes an overview of its roadshow release and a historian interview segment. Do give the article a peek if you're a fan of the film and/or of the roadshow era.


http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/history-legacy--showmanship/my-fair-lady-50th
 

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 6, 2015
Messages
5,048
Real Name
Philip
Wish I could get to a HTF meet.


Meanwhile, let's not forget that Matt gave the restoration of "MFL" a 5/5 scoring for BOTH the Video and Audio Quality.

the final 4.5 score was a factoring in of the supplements.
 

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 6, 2015
Messages
5,048
Real Name
Philip
noel aguirre said:
Does anyone know why Theadore Bikel's credit states his character's identity? I find it very odd- I don't think I've ever seen such a credit for such a minor role by a virtually unknown film actor- it's not like he was some famous star from the past. Eleanor Parker as "The Baroness" in The Sound of Music I can understand as she was a star of many films.
Don't forget that Mr. Bikel had guest appearances in:


"Law and Order"

"L.A. Law"

"Murder, She Wrote"

"All In The Family"

"Falcon Crest"

"Dynasty"

"Knight Rider"

"Trapper John, M.D."

"Fantasy Island"

"Police Woman" :) (which means he met Angie) :)

"Columbo"

"Charlie's Angels"

"Little House on The Prairie"

"Mod Squad"

"Canon"

"Hawaii Five-O"

"The Twilight Zone"

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents"

"Gunsmoke"

AND

"Rawhide", to name but a few.



Films:

"Sweet November"

"My Side of The Mountain"

"The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming"

"I Want to Live"

"The Defiant Ones"

AND

"The African Queen"


Somewhere, in there, he found some time in his schedule to do "My Fair Lady". :)
 

noel aguirre

Premium
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
890
Location
New York City
Real Name
noel
PMF said:
Don't forget that Mr. Bikel had guest appearances in:

"Law and Order"
"L.A. Law"
"Murder, She Wrote"
"All In The Family"
"Falcon Crest"
"Dynasty"
"Knight Rider"
"Trapper John, M.D."
"Fantasy Island"
"Police Woman" :) (which means he met Angie) :)
"Columbo"
"Charlie's Angels"
"Little House on The Prairie"
"Mod Squad"
"Canon"
"Hawaii Five-O"
"The Twilight Zone"
"Alfred Hitchcock Presents"
"Gunsmoke"
AND
"Rawhide", to name but a few.

Films:
"Sweet November"
"My Side of The Mountain"
"The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming"
"I Want to Live"
"The Defiant Ones"
AND
"The African Queen"

Somewhere, in there, he found some time in his schedule to do "My Fair Lady". :)
Was he in Back to the Future too- riding a DeLorean time machine to star in all you mention that came after MFL?
Bottom line like someone said- he had a great agent.

Back to the film.- There is a weird editing choice at the ball with Mr. Bikel when he tries to cut in on the dance with Eliza. First he's on the extreme right side of the screen, then the extreme left, then the middle. Does anyone else find it odd?
 

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 6, 2015
Messages
5,048
Real Name
Philip
Your description of these edits certainly fits the lyrics of "You Did It".

Read, or hear, the ways in which Higgins interpreted the character of Zoltan Karpathy.
 

noel aguirre

Premium
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
890
Location
New York City
Real Name
noel
PMF said:
Your description of these edits certainly fits the lyrics of "You Did It".
Read, or hear, the ways in which Higgins interpreted the character of Zoltan Karpathy.
That's very funny. This film is so much fun to watch- I'm headed to Palm Spring Thanksgiving week and my hostess with the mostest projects movies on the side of her house for night time viewing so I'm bringing this.
 

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
52
Location
Kennebunk, Maine
Real Name
Ned
Watched the movie yesterday....AWSOME to say the least. It is a beautiful transfer and a terrific film. I haven't looked at the other discs in the set. With that said, I just read Bill Hunt's column on "The Digital Bits" site and he indicated that ".we’re getting reports that people are having trouble with Disc Two of CBS’ new My Fair Lady Blu-ray. We’re looking into it." Anyone have any information on this??
 

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
5,646
Location
Camas, WA
Real Name
Mark Probst
nedinme said:
Watched the movie yesterday....AWSOME to say the least. It is a beautiful transfer and a terrific film. I haven't looked at the other discs in the set. With that said, I just read Bill Hunt's column on "The Digital Bits" site and he indicated that ".we’re getting reports that people are having trouble with Disc Two of CBS’ new My Fair Lady Blu-ray. We’re looking into it." Anyone have any information on this??
Here's a whole thread on it, for your reading enjoyment: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/343931-my-fair-lady-50th-anniversary-edition-defective-second-disc
 

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
3,502
Location
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Real Name
Robert
PMF said:
Don't forget that Mr. Bikel had guest appearances in:


"Law and Order"

"L.A. Law"

"Murder, She Wrote"

"All In The Family"

"Falcon Crest"

"Dynasty"

"Knight Rider"

"Trapper John, M.D."

"Fantasy Island"

"Police Woman" :) (which means he met Angie) :)

"Columbo"

"Charlie's Angels"

"Little House on The Prairie"

"Mod Squad"

"Canon"

"Hawaii Five-O"

"The Twilight Zone"

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents"

"Gunsmoke"

AND

"Rawhide", to name but a few.



Films:

"Sweet November"

"My Side of The Mountain"

"The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming"

"I Want to Live"

"The Defiant Ones"

AND

"The African Queen"


Somewhere, in there, he found some time in his schedule to do "My Fair Lady". :)

You forgot Star Trek: The Next Generation.


He was Mr. Worf's father.


/even in 1990, I'm betting he was still a major guest star for a Trek series.
 

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
2,064
Location
Vancouver, B.C.
Real Name
David Matychuk
Posted July 21 2015 - 08:35 PM
star_big.png

POPULAR


They sure don't make polymath show business performers like Theodore Bikel, or Peter Ustinov, or Orson Welles any more. I think we live in superficial times - the devolution of talk shows from Dick Cavett down to Jimmy Fallon shows that - but perhaps wonderful artists with great minds and a broad spectrum of gifts have always been thin on the ground, and it's only more obvious now in the clickbait era. Mr. Bikel left a wide range of splendid movie and television work for us to appreciate and enjoy on video, along with a wide variety of folk music recordings, and I hope some of you Big City people have memories of his stage work you might share.



I'm quoting myself here, from this thread:


http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/334552-my-fair-lady-50th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder/page-26


If you start at #512 on that thread, there's a whole lot of love for Theodore Bikel, featured performer extraordinaire.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 6, 2015
Messages
5,048
Real Name
Philip
davidmatychuk said:
Posted July 21 2015 - 08:35 PM
star_big.png

Mr. Bikel left a wide range of splendid movie and television work for us to appreciate and enjoy on video, along with a wide variety of folk music recordings, and I hope some of you Big City people have memories of his stage work you might share.
My first conscious introduction to Theodore Bikel was as a kid, where I saw "My Side of The Mountain". Shortly thereafter, I got the vinyl soundtrack and at a very early age found myself listening to the "Bando" songs he sung by the campfire. So, he stood out even when I was 8 or 9. After talking about the "star power" actors; past and present; one can look to resumes such as Bikel's and safely say that THIS is also what having a great career on stage and in film entails. Always working and being in command; plus recordings to boot.

Thanks for reminding me of the availability of his folk music. Definitely worth a purchase.
 

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
119
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
The other strange thing about Bikel in the movie is that, in the stage version of MY FAIR LADY, Karpathy is supposed to have a very full, voluminous beard, which is why Higgins keeps referring to how "hairy" he is. In the movie, Bikel is clean shaven, and the remarks about him being "hairy" are supposed to refer to the hair on his head, which doesn't really work. I've always assumed this is because they didn't want to hire the known quantity Theodore Bikel for the role and then obscure his face with a full beard, but that's a pretty odd way to proceed for a character who's referred to as "hairy" several times, isn't it?


That's only one of many strange things about the movie, which is meticulously well done in some ways and incredibly sloppy in others. I'm thinking of making a list and publishing it here, if I find the time. One thing I don't believe I've ever seen anyone comment on is that, in one of the scenes of people milling about in the rain in Covent Garden at the beginning of the movie, there's one shot with a horrible edit where suddenly everyone on screen is in a different position or has suddenly disappeared, as if about 100 frames or so of the film were just lopped off. It's the kind of mistake you might expect to find in a film with a $1,000 budget, and I can't believe they let it pass, especially since it would have been so easy to fix it. Anyone?
 

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
2,092
Location
Southern California
Real Name
Rob Ray
Michael1 said:
That's only one of many strange things about the movie, which is meticulously well done in some ways and incredibly sloppy in others. I'm thinking of making a list and publishing it here, if I find the time. One thing I don't believe I've ever seen anyone comment on is that, in one of the scenes of people milling about in the rain in Covent Garden at the beginning of the movie, there's one shot with a horrible edit where suddenly everyone on screen is in a different position or has suddenly disappeared, as if about 100 frames or so of the film were just lopped off. It's the kind of mistake you might expect to find in a film with a $1,000 budget, and I can't believe they let it pass, especially since it would have been so easy to fix it. Anyone?
I know exactly the spot you mean and that edit has always bothered me. It could have been so easily remedied by separating the two shots with an inserted cutaway to something else. The editing is quite sloppy throughout. I'm glad the editing Oscar went to MARY POPPINS.
 

KPmusmag

Premium
Joined
Sep 9, 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
Henderson, NV
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
MSC77 said:
Given all of the recent chatter here about “My Fair Lady,” I suppose I ought to pass along the link to the recently-published article done for my film history column at The Digital Bits. The piece includes an overview of its roadshow release and a historian interview segment. Do give the article a peek if you're a fan of the film and/or of the roadshow era.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/history-legacy--showmanship/my-fair-lady-50th

Thank you for the link, I enjoyed the article very much, and it is fascinating to see the list of road show engagements and the lengths of their runs. Movie going is so different today it is hard, I am sure, for young people to even imagine the road show era.


I do take issue with Mr. Holston when he stated there are no horses at Ascot, for there surely are, and it is well known that they opened each end of the soundstage so that they could run through.


I may be one of the few that likes the stylized soundstage look of MFL. To me, it creates a little bubble outside of reality where the story can play out. I have always found that part of its charm.
 

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
119
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
KPmusmag said:
I may be one of the few that likes the stylized soundstage look of MFL. To me, it creates a little bubble outside of reality where the story can play out. I have always found that part of its charm.

But don't you find the stylized soundstage look tremendously inconsistent? To me, the entire opening sequence at Covent Garden, or example, looks like meticulously recreated realism, as opposed to the Ascot scene and others that are extremely stylized. I guess maybe the thought was that the "Ascot Gavotte" is so stylized that it needed a stylized setting, as compared to the other musical numbers, but I'm not sure I agree with that logic.


Rob_Ray said:
I know exactly the spot you mean and that edit has always bothered me. It could have been so easily remedied by separating the two shots with an inserted cutaway to something else. The editing is quite sloppy throughout. I'm glad the editing Oscar went to MARY POPPINS.

Exactly what I was thinking. It could have been fixed with a few minutes' work of editing in a cutaway shot. Another of the many sloppy things I've noticed in the film: In "With a Little Bit of Luck," Doolittle's two friends sing the repeated choruses, but in that sequence where the flower pot (or whatever) falls from above and just misses Doolittle, one of the actors playing the friends stops moving his lips for a bit even though he's supposed to be singing. It's a beautiful, meticulous film in some ways and a tremendously sloppy one in others. I do think I should compile that list.
 

noel aguirre

Premium
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
890
Location
New York City
Real Name
noel
Michael1 said:
The other strange thing about Bikel in the movie is that, in the stage version of MY FAIR LADY, Karpathy is supposed to have a very full, voluminous beard, which is why Higgins keeps referring to how "hairy" he is. In the movie, Bikel is clean shaven, and the remarks about him being "hairy" are supposed to refer to the hair on his head, which doesn't really work. I've always assumed this is because they didn't want to hire the known quantity Theodore Bikel for the role and then obscure his face with a full beard, but that's a pretty odd way to proceed for a character who's referred to as "hairy" several times, isn't it?

That's only one of many strange things about the movie, which is meticulously well done in some ways and incredibly sloppy in others. I'm thinking of making a list and publishing it here, if I find the time. One thing I don't believe I've ever seen anyone comment on is that, in one of the scenes of people milling about in the rain in Covent Garden at the beginning of the movie, there's one shot with a horrible edit where suddenly everyone on screen is in a different position or has suddenly disappeared, as if about 100 frames or so of the film were just lopped off. It's the kind of mistake you might expect to find in a film with a $1,000 budget, and I can't believe they let it pass, especially since it would have been so easy to fix it. Anyone?
The editing is far inferior to let say- The Sound of Music?
 

noel aguirre

Premium
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
890
Location
New York City
Real Name
noel
Rob_Ray said:
I know exactly the spot you mean and that edit has always bothered me. It could have been so easily remedied by separating the two shots with an inserted cutaway to something else. The editing is quite sloppy throughout. I'm glad the editing Oscar went to MARY POPPINS.
The edit at the ball is another. Zoltan to the left- Zoltan to the right- then the middle. Like????
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
347,204
Messages
4,805,782
Members
142,028
Latest member
atalba
Top