1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

I'm giving this 50th Anniversary blu ray release (superb restoration of picture and sound) 2 stars instead of 5 because of one single reason: picture freezes at 1:26 mark. This is my third copy that does this in the exact same place. All were pressed at the same plant in Mexico. I am using a Yamaha BD-S677. Software is fully up to date and do not have any single blu ray or DVD (of my vast collection) that does this. Could this problem be unique to this particular player. Unlikely. Very disappointed and frustrated because the movie has never looked and sounded so amazingly.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Please try in another player. I've not heard of this occurring. Anything visible on the disc?

Robin9 likes this.
  3. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    My disc does not freeze at 1:26 mark or at any other. There may be some weird incompatibility between your disc and your player.

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Mine plays perfectly in my Oppo (which should hopefully go without saying), but also in a very early Sony BD player.

Please do try it in another machine.

5. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

I only have one player. It sounds like it's some strange incompatibility with the disc and my player, because ALL of my blu ray's and DVD's play flawlessly. Bummer. When the day comes that I have to replace my machine, I'll consider revisiting the disc. I was very impressed with it, up to the problem point,

6. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    I was having the same sort of problem with my initial disc, and with a replacement.. I can't remember exactly where the image was freezing on my Oppo (with properly updated firmware) but I was also having awful problems trying to navigate the menu without the disc totally seizing up.
    In the end I solved the problem by buying a European pressing from Amazon.es (Spain) and that has to date worked perfectly!

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I don't know where you're located, but if you can find the time, why not take it to a Best Buy or other home theater vendor, and have them try to play it?

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

I already returned it. If ALL three copies seized up on my machine at he same point, chances are the fourth would do the same. There's no point buying a new blu ray player for only one title.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Do you remember what scene this was? I only had the chance to watch this Blu-Ray once, and it locked up during the Ascot scene. Rewinding to just before the time it locked up solved the problem; the second time through the scene, it reached the same spot and continued on without issue.

10. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

Yes! That's exactly where it locks up. I tried that, but seized up every time.

11. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

I have problems with my disc as well. It freezes at the Could Have Danced All Night scene as well as the Ascot Races sequence. At first I thought it was my old Pioneer BDP320 unit but now I'm not quite so sure. Planning on purchasing an Oppo 203 once Dolby Vision is part of the unit. Hopefully, by then a new 4k UHD release will be announced. Brilliant restoration, terrible disc.

Drew Salzan likes this.
  12. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

I agree. Beautiful restoration. I'm so disappointed and frustrated.

13. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    Now I think back, I remember it was the Ascot Scene which bollixed up my Oppo ... as well as the terrible menu problems which made it so hard to access any of the special features.
    Anyway, my Spanish edition was faultless ... another score for all-region players!

14. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    I have problems with mine as well, so much so that I had to purchase another copy.

---------------