What's new

Blu-ray Review My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I'm giving this 50th Anniversary blu ray release (superb restoration of picture and sound) 2 stars instead of 5 because of one single reason: picture freezes at 1:26 mark. This is my third copy that does this in the exact same place. All were pressed at the same plant in Mexico. I am using a Yamaha BD-S677. Software is fully up to date and do not have any single blu ray or DVD (of my vast collection) that does this. Could this problem be unique to this particular player. Unlikely. Very disappointed and frustrated because the movie has never looked and sounded so amazingly.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm giving this 50th Anniversary blu ray release (superb restoration of picture and sound) 2 stars instead of 5 because of one single reason: picture freezes at 1:26 mark. This is my third copy that does this in the exact same place. All were pressed at the same plant in Mexico. I am using a Yamaha BD-S677. Software is fully up to date and do not have any single blu ray or DVD (of my vast collection) that does this. Could this problem be unique to this particular player. Unlikely. Very disappointed and frustrated because the movie has never looked and sounded so amazingly.

Please try in another player. I've not heard of this occurring. Anything visible on the disc?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

My disc does not freeze at 1:26 mark or at any other. There may be some weird incompatibility between your disc and your player.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mine plays perfectly in my Oppo (which should hopefully go without saying), but also in a very early Sony BD player.

Please do try it in another machine.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I only have one player. It sounds like it's some strange incompatibility with the disc and my player, because ALL of my blu ray's and DVD's play flawlessly. Bummer. When the day comes that I have to replace my machine, I'll consider revisiting the disc. I was very impressed with it, up to the problem point,

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was having the same sort of problem with my initial disc, and with a replacement.. I can't remember exactly where the image was freezing on my Oppo (with properly updated firmware) but I was also having awful problems trying to navigate the menu without the disc totally seizing up.
In the end I solved the problem by buying a European pressing from Amazon.es (Spain) and that has to date worked perfectly!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I only have one player. It sounds like it's some strange incompatibility with the disc and my player, because ALL of my blu ray's and DVD's play flawlessly. Bummer. When the day comes that I have to replace my machine, I'll consider revisiting the disc. I was very impressed with it, up to the problem point,

I don't know where you're located, but if you can find the time, why not take it to a Best Buy or other home theater vendor, and have them try to play it?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I don't know where you're located, but if you can find the time, why not take it to a Best Buy or other home theater vendor, and have them try to play it?
I already returned it. If ALL three copies seized up on my machine at he same point, chances are the fourth would do the same. There's no point buying a new blu ray player for only one title.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm giving this 50th Anniversary blu ray release (superb restoration of picture and sound) 2 stars instead of 5 because of one single reason: picture freezes at 1:26 mark. This is my third copy that does this in the exact same place.
Do you remember what scene this was? I only had the chance to watch this Blu-Ray once, and it locked up during the Ascot scene. Rewinding to just before the time it locked up solved the problem; the second time through the scene, it reached the same spot and continued on without issue.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Do you remember what scene this was? I only had the chance to watch this Blu-Ray once, and it locked up during the Ascot scene. Rewinding to just before the time it locked up solved the problem; the second time through the scene, it reached the same spot and continued on without issue.
Yes! That's exactly where it locks up. I tried that, but seized up every time.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I have problems with my disc as well. It freezes at the Could Have Danced All Night scene as well as the Ascot Races sequence. At first I thought it was my old Pioneer BDP320 unit but now I'm not quite so sure. Planning on purchasing an Oppo 203 once Dolby Vision is part of the unit. Hopefully, by then a new 4k UHD release will be announced. Brilliant restoration, terrible disc.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I have problems with my disc as well. It freezes at the Could Have Danced All Night scene as well as the Ascot Races sequence. At first I thought it was my old Pioneer BDP320 unit but now I'm not quite so sure. Planning on purchasing an Oppo 203 once Dolby Vision is part of the unit. Hopefully, by then a new 4k UHD release will be announced. Brilliant restoration, terrible disc.
I agree. Beautiful restoration. I'm so disappointed and frustrated.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Now I think back, I remember it was the Ascot Scene which bollixed up my Oppo ... as well as the terrible menu problems which made it so hard to access any of the special features.
Anyway, my Spanish edition was faultless ... another score for all-region players!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I have problems with mine as well, so much so that I had to purchase another copy.

---------------

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Recreation of "rehearsal " for Broadway version from a 1960 TV show . Obviously just something made up for the TV show but still worth a look.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Worth a look? It's bloody fabulous. Can it be downloaded anywhere? I want it! I know it's on YouTube but I don't want to subscribe to their service for just one old indifferent-quality clip~

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That's the special "The Fabulous Fifties", a two hour special that aired as an end of the decade kind of review. It's a combination historical overview/variety special hosted by Henry Fonda (There are some performances by Nichols and May too within it). That they do this recreation of the "rehearsal" of "My Fair Lady" (and also give us Jackie Gleason doing a number from his Broadway turn "Take Me Along") is a testament to how big Broadway was in the 1950s and should make one pause at those who always think the story of music in the 50s is defined only by the birth of rock and roll.

I'm often struck though when I watch the whole special how the tone of what people are thinking is to come in the 1960s doesn't even remotely anticipate what actually happened.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the further info ... I'll try to track the whole thing down.
It sounds analogous to the 1950s Rodgers and Hammerstein special which debuted simultaneously on, I think, EVERY network, offering generous excerpts from several R & H musicals .. excerpts are seen on some DVDs and Blu rays, with wonderful sequences from Carousel (Jan Clayton (remember the mother in TVs Lassie?), and Bonnie Raitt's father John) and South Pacific (Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza). The park bench scene from Carousel is especially precious.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched this blu-ray (I know, I know, just in time for the 4k disc!), and it looked wonderful. I hadn't seen this since the days of VHS or early DVD (can't remember) and this was like a completely new experience. It's one of the classics of all time, obviously, and if the 4k improves upon this excellent picture, it won't take me nearly as long to revisit this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks