What's new

Beginning design of HT setup - questions! (1 Viewer)

Daniel J Hauer

Auditioning
Hi all.

It's been a while since I've posted at all, but I'm going to start my plans for a HT system real soon here.

So far, I'm looking at using (2) 6.5" woofers in floorstanding towers for the L&R speakers. These would be arranged in D'Apollito configuration. These speakers would be used 50% for movies and 50% for music in a 5.1 system. This is all in a small apartment living room being powered off a simple 5.1 reciever. (Nothing super high power.)

My question is, in this application, what would be the best enclosure type for these mains? (vented, sealed, t-line, etc.) I've built and modeled speakers before, but never for HT.

Also, what are good budget drivers for a project such as this. Not dirt cheap, but good solid performers. So far I have looked into the Stryke Audio mids, and some Dayton and Vifa models. Any suggestions?

ALSO

Is it generally accepted to place the center channel speaker below my TV, or does it have to be above for proper imaging, and staging and whatnot.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Dan

Darren_T

Second Unit
While I build speakers, I'm not a speaker designer so I can only give my opinion on the speaker placement. It would be best to have the center at the exact height of the mains but because this is impossible in many cases it comes down to above or below... I haven't done any tests but have found neither to be all that different. I have mine above the TV which is about 2' above the mains but aimed slightly downward toward ear level of the listening position. Doing the same with a speaker below the TV aimed slightly upward should give the same results.

You are going to have different deflection etc... on either setup but I'm not sure it would be all that noticeable for a center speaker. I'd go with whatever works/looks best in your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks