What's new

Baesball Hot Stove League discussion (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Why not have a thread for Baseball's Hot Stove league.

I read today that Randy Johnson won his fourth consecutive Cy Young. I think it is safe to say that he must be regarded as one of the best free agent signing in the history of the league.

What do other HTF baseball fans think?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup! I'd have to agree with that!
I'd like to see something like that work out for the Red Sox over the next few years if they could land Greg Maddux this off-season! :D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The Braves signing of Maddux should also be considered one of the best free agent signings. He certainly has complied an impressive record with the Braves.

I'm not certain how many quality years he has left but if he could still win a few more games down the road.

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an interesting article on EPSN talking about how Johnson is the best free agent signing in history.
It will be interesting to see where Maddux, Glavine, and Thome go.
The Phillies could defininately be the team to beat in the NL East if they sign Thome and the Braves lose Glavine/Maddux. Pretty hard to think about the Braves without those two guys...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, I'm sort of curious what will happen with Roger Clemens. He's 40, but still pretty useful. I'd like to see Houston or Texas sign him, if only to act as a mental enema to seeing him in a Yankees uniform (heck, if the Red Sox can get him relatively affordably, I might not be totally conflicted).

A few weeks ago, the Yankees were talked about as being a lock to sign Hideki Matsui, though that doesn't seem to be the case any more. I'd kind of like to see him in Boston, but I also worry that his game won't translate to the US as well as Ichiro!'s.

(Also, whatever team signs him - I beg of you, let him put "Godzilla" on his uniform. That would be ridiculously amusing)

As for the Sox - they need someone at first, but I'd be wary about spending the money on Thome. First I'd like to see if Jeremy Giambi can be pried loose from the Phillies.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The phrase "hot stove league" has always annoyed me, mostly because I have no clue what it means (I think it's a catch-all to describe off-season trading). But also because I suspect it's a cutesy slang phrase that could be easily avoided by using plain english. Anyone care to explain meaning and origin? :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
But also because I suspect it's a cutesy slang phrase that could be easily avoided by using plain english. Anyone care to explain meaning and origin?
I can only take a stab at explaining the meaning; some one more knowledgeable will have to correct me later.

Baseball's off-season occurs in winter, it's a time when people tend to stay indoors to stay warm. (At least in the East) Sitting around a hot stove to stay warm people talked about baseball, hence "hot stove league". Sounds corny but I think it's as good explanation as anything else.

I happen to like to phrase because a baseball fan instantly knows what it means.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
A few weeks ago, the Yankees were talked about as being a lock to sign Hideki Matsui, though that doesn't seem to be the case any more.
Jason Stark on ESPN radio this morning said (and I quote) "All the stars seemed to be aligned in the fact that Matsui will sign with the Yankees"

He didn't give a rationale, but in any instance where there is a high profile free agent import, the Yankees tend to get these players first (Soriano, El Duque, and others come to mind). The only one they didn't get was Ichiro and I think that was more because of the fact they doubted Ichiro's ability to make the transition to US ball than the fact they were actively outbid by Seattle.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Stark's grammar sucks. :)
Not that this would necessarily stop the Yankees, but they're going to have to find someone to take Rondell White and/or Raul Mondesi off their hands before signing other outfielders - ideally, someone who can play CF better than Bernie Williams (Matsui, from what I gather, plays CF but wouldn't be much of a defensive upgrade).
Keith Olbermann had a column on Salon a couple months ago that reported that the Yankees had an agreement in principle for a co-marketing deal with the Yomouri Giants (including games on YES and Matsui doing a "Godzilla in America" series for an NHK sports/news program), but I haven't heard anything about it lately.
One thing I have noticed is that the reportage on Matsui describes him as a "free agent". While Nomo and Ichiro! were probably (technically) free agents too, there doesn't seem to be much mention of having to pay Matsui's current club for the rights to negotiate with him.
In a completely seperate note, ESPN.com is reporting that the Red Sox have hired Bill James as a statistical guru. Whoever gets hired as the new GM is going to have some high-grade assistance.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Managers of the year

AL Mike Scioscia
NL Tony La Russa

This is going to sound cold hearted but La Russa won on a sympathy vote. The Cards were favored to win the Central before the season started and they did what was expected of them. That’s really nothing that special when you think about it.

In many respects I think that La Russa is overrated as a manager.

On the other hand Scioscia was an easy choice considering the dramatic turn around from the year before.

You've got to feel a little for Art Howe, this was the third year in a row that he finished second.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason,
Matsui is a free agent without any contractural obligation to the Giants which is why he signed only a one year contract prior to the recently concluded baseball season in order to fulfill the minimum number of baseball seasons required in the Japanese league to be eligible for free agency. However, Matsui has a very close relationship to the Giants and will seek their counsel on which team he signs with which bodes well for the Yankees since it's strongly rumored that the Giants have a media partnership deal worked out with the Yankees that probably will be announced soon. There are rumors that the deal is so financially sound for the Yankees that in essence the deal alone will pay Matsui's Yankees contract.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I've heard for a long time the Braves weren't going to resign both Maddux and Glavine, but would definitely want one of them. Maddux might feel the pull west towards home (Las Vegas) as alot of aging ballplayers do. Keep in mind the Braves barely outbid the Yankees for Maddux, wonder how things would have shaped up differently if Maddux would have worn pinstripes.

Amazing about the Cy Young awards those two, and Clemens, have won, even if it's only been around since ~1955 and for 10 years or so they only handed out 1, instead of 2, 1 for each league.

Chris

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Christopher,
The Yankees actually offered more money than the Braves, but at that time, many players didn't want to play for the Yankees. Oh well, it worked out best for the Yankees anyway.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly the Cubs actually offered Maddux more money then any other team but he was so angry with the GM's handling of the negotiations that there was no way he would have stayed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason: I love Jim Thome and was hoping beyond hope at the end of this season that his good friend Grady Little would be able to talk him into signing with the Sox. However, if the Sox could sign another "A" pitcher (like Maddux) to join Pedro, Lowe, Wakefield and Burkett in the line-up, I'd be just as glad to see Brian Daubach play 155 games at first base.
Wow. Stark's grammar sucks. Not that this would necessarily stop the Yankees...
But if it could, I'd let Jason Stark become a beat writer for one of the NY tabloids in a second! :D

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Is there any doubt that Dusty Baker will be the new Cubs manager? It looks as though the Giants don't want him and Seattle isn't interested.

Maybe the Cubs can get him cheap now since there's no competition.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Robert, you know, you are right, thanks for correcting me. I am sure the prospect of sharing the mound with Smoltz, Glavine, and a then-solid Steve Avery helped sway the decision.

Seems like the Cubs are the only team left for Baker, with the M's Gillick saying they aren't interested. Why not? Did they even interview the guy? Seemed like they interviewed everyone else.

Chris

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Seems like the Cubs are the only team left for Baker, with the M's Gillick saying they aren't interested. Why not? Did they even interview the guy? Seemed like they interviewed everyone else.
They know his asking price will be high so perhaps they don't even want to bother.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Barry Zito is the AL Cy Young winner.

I didn't realize he is the most successful pitcher in over 100 years when you look at his career 47-17 W-L record (for pitchers with over 50 decisions).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks