What's new

Avoiding Double Dippings (1 Viewer)

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello! There is a huge conflict when I go buy DVDs and that is the age-old question of double-dipping. I just started collecting DVDs so I ain't very much experienced in the art of recognizing the release that are at a definitive and honestly have been tricked many times into buying a DVD that in a few months or even days, comes out in a newer and a more DEFINITIVE version. For example Wizard of Oz (I bought the 1999 snapcase one a few days before Warner announced a newer better edition), Dr. Strangelove (picked it up before the 40th Anniv. Set was announced) and The Philadelphia Story (Well i bought the OOP MGM version months before the way-better WB 2-Disc SE so there's nothing to complain about here):frowning:

Here are a few movies that I want to make sure, as to avoid the nasty double-dipping business, that I can buy without buying it again.

Network: Is the MGM good enough or is a newer version coming out from WB?

The Maltese Falcon: Is it safe to buy the already released Snap-Case DVD?

Jaws: Is the Upcoming 30th Annivers. Worth it? (I own the 25th Anniversary One)

Well here is just a sample...

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Sometimes it's impossible to avoid, such as the unannounced SE of Eternal Sunshine that came out a few months after the original.

All I can recommend is alot of internet researching before you buy. Also, if DVD is a big enough interest and passion for you, you can always sell the old and/or outdated version for a new snazzier SE or updated one. It really doesn't matter how much you will get, as long as you love the movie enough to double dip.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Jing, Robert Crawford posted some details from tonight's WB chat in the thread dedicated to it. Apparently 2-disc SEs of Network and Maltese Falcon are on the way at some point, Network sometime in the next year, Maltese Falcon sometime in '06.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Good day to ask about a couple of those titles. Per Warner Bros. at tonight's chat, "The Maltese Falcon" will receive a much-needed 2-disc SE in 2006. Network" is flippin' awesome (the current release is crap) and -- also per WB -- will receive a 2-disc SE in the next 12 months (so will "Dog Day Afternoon" and "All the President's Men", so don't pick up those snapper releases either). And there's a rumor now that a better "Jaws" release is forthcoming. If it ain't fancy; I generally don't buy it. A quick glance at my still modest (but high-quality) collection will show you that I practice what I preach. :)

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?id=danemarvin

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
THANKS GUYS THAT'S A BUNCHLOAD OF GOOD INFO!!! THANKS AND EAGERLY AWAITING TOMORROW'S CHAT COPY!!! ;)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
jing, you should also ask yourself how much it's worth to you to double dip or wait or just leave the way it is.
example from my side: i have the first edition of starship troopers and so far the movie came out in 2 new editions (one 2 disc set and a superbit) and so far i didn't upgrade to either one. it's not that i don't want to but more there are other films i like to have first and secondly i don't watch the film that often. besides hd-dvd / blue-ray are coming soon and this will be released pretty soon in high-def so a current double dip is pointless ;)

you may also check reviews of the old and new edition of a film because it isn't always the case that the new edition has the better quality, better extras. example would pitch black which was re-released by universal last year. the extras are identical but the new dvd lost the trailers for the movie :thumbsdown: the picture and quality are identical as the same transfer was used. so you see that checking before buying is essential.

you should also consider how much worth extras are for you. i mean why shell out extra money for useless/pointless extras or good extras you wont watch anyway.

another thing may that you consider is the waiting period for a new release.

if everything speaks for a double dip go ahead and if not then keep your current dvd of the movie.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
This year is worse than ever since HD-DVD/Bluray will be released later in Q4. I find myself weighing the pros/cons of double-dipping all the time and usually I will only double dip if there is an improvement in AUDIO AND/OR VIDEO only.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

If you follow enough DVD related websites such as this one, you should eventually learn those instincts. I'm coming up on 500 films in my collection and there's only a few that I've been burned on. The rest I've either waited for a better release and been rewarded or simply don't care enough to spend the money twice. Wizard of Oz and Jaws are two you mentioned that I just knew would be re-released eventually. My patience has paid off.

Two that immediately come to mind that I wish I had waited on are Lawrence of Arabia and The Big Lewbowski. I held off on Lewbowski forever, but finally picked it up. Now there's a new one on the way.

I also don't reward studios for re-releasing the same titles over and over. I've yet to double dip. Nothing has been enticing enough to make me buy something I already have rather than buying something I don't have and would like to get. But I think I'm in the minority on this one. :D

Anyway, you'll eventually learn to spot most candidates if you follow things closely enough.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

IMHO, if you really want the film, buy what's available. I used to be annoyed by re-releases; however, now my view is that the entertainment value of a film you admire or love is worth the $15-$25 you'll be spending. If there's value added in the form of a better transfer, sound mix, and/or features, I would go for it. Even if Hi-Def is around the corner (and how long will it take for us to approach that corner - and what's beyond it?), I consider the entertainment value I'll get with a re-released title *now*.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks