What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are certain films to which I feel a special bond. Cool Hand Luke is one of them.

Sometime during the summer of 1967 - I was working as a trainee at WB-7A, and that summer I was in the projection booth - we received the first east coast print of Cool Hand Luke for exec. screenings. One of my jobs was physically checking out lab prints for obvious pre-projection defects, and after giving a nod to Luke we prepped it for it's first screening, months before release.

And so it was that as my job was also taking care of those in the screening room, I got to view the film at the same time that Mr. Newman saw it completed for the first time. Part of my job was to make certain that he was happy, comfortable and always had a cold one at hand.

So for a couple of hours, I would occasionally check and when it appeared that a new "cold one" was necessary, I delivered, and with each delivery received a quick glance and a "Thanks, kid." Never did figure out how he knew my name, but hearing those words from him made the world a wonderful place.

While this new 4k doesn't fit under the miraculous to have it classification of Maltese Falcon, it does receive a huge tip of the hat toward WB MPI, as at least to my eye, this new 4k looks like a slightly smaller (and far more highly resolved) version of what I had seen back in 1967, and thereafter in dye transfer prints.

Color, densities, grain structure, and the overall gloss of the production are all intact.

Another perfect 4k UHD from Warner Bros. as part of their 100th.

For those who collect slipcovers, you may want to keep this, along with Falcon and Rebel, as they have the 100th branding, which does not appear on the jacket beneath.

Another very easy recommendation, which shares an opening with the next film up for review, Rebel without a Cause, as both begin with someone being arrested for alcohol. Was this a purposeful connection? Doubtful.

As an aside, for those who are fans of (who isn't) or interesting in the life and career of Mr. Newman, there's The Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Man: A Memoir, which is one of the finest biographies of an entertainment figure I've ever read.

It's here:

The Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Man: A Memoir

Image – 5 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"So for a couple of hours, I would occasionally check and when it appeared that a new "cold one" was necessary, I delivered, and with each delivery received a quick glance and a "Thanks, kid." Never did figure out how he knew my name...."

lmao! Great review. Thanks for sharing those amazing memories.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I watched it last weekend, and yes, it's a pretty damned amazing disc. Whatever doubts that I may have whenever I put a Paramount disc in, I'm always confident in anything that MPI has touched, and they always reward the confidence.

Now I need to get my hands on Rebel without a Cause and The Maltese Falcon.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The scene on the header of this movie looks like a scene from a DVD with EE to make it sharper. That sure as hell ain't from th UHD disc.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The scene on the header of this movie looks like a scene from a DVD with EE to make it sharper. That sure as hell ain't from th UHD disc.
Sometimes one has to go with what images the interwebs have to offer and go with it ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks