How about that SE for THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Karlosi, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I remember reading that there might be a SE with extras for THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, somewhere for Easter 2005. Because of this, I've (so far) resisted buying the movie-only DVD, to avoid a double dip. Any news?

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

I think we would have heard some official news by now if it was going to happen. Maybe next year, I guess.

3. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    double post - see below

4. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    There's an S.E scheduled for release - though not officially announced yet - on March 14th in the UK, so I don't think you'll have to wait long. There's no way THAT one won't be coming to the U.S ! [​IMG]

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    You know it's funny, but usually i'm all for SE's because I love knowing how the movie was made, but for this film, the less I know about it the better. It's such a powerful film that it truly does stand on it's own.

I think i'll stay with my film only disc, it seems appropriate for this film, to me at least.

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

They are probably waiting to see what happens with this movie at the Oscars. Aren't the nominations scheduled to be announced soon?

7. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

Although I am not religious and after hearing so much in the press from the NY Times editorials to articles in New Yorker Mag (you can't buy that kind publicity) and knowing from previous Mel Gibson movies that he doesn't tread lightly with violence, suffering and gore, I was afraid that it might of been a gore fest as some critics forcasted.
    But Mel showed that he is a filmmaker of the first caliber. His skills as a director, writer and producer have never been better. The fine razor edge he walks staying in focus with the story of Christ, and bloody as it is, that he never wavers into gratuitous is a remarkable achievement that I could never do. The film has a needle point focus and stays there.
    I am sure he was recording the making of the film and a S.E. will be something to look for.
    And here I am an Agnostic. I love Ben-Hur too, go figure.

8. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"They are probably waiting to see what happens with this movie at the Oscars. Aren't the nominations scheduled to be announced soon?"

I don't think this is the reasoning, because Gibson refused to allow Lion's Gate to mount an Oscar campaign for the film. One gets the sense that Gibson may have felt that campaigning for the film would have been in bad taste, and that given the reaction to the film in certain quarters, spending millions on an Oscar campaign would simply be a waste of time. I'm sure Gibson would be happy for his crew if they landed nods, but I'm sure that he knows by now that the film's chances for Oscar nods are slim to none. The AMPAS shies away from controversial material, lest they be seen as endorsing a side in the controversey. I'd look for a possible nod for Cinematography or Art Direction or Debny's score, but that's it.

Time will be far kinder to the film once it is seen for what it is, as opposed to what people were afraid it was.

Don't be surprised to see the film make a return to theaters for the Easter season, though.

9. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"There's an S.E scheduled for release - though not officially announced yet - on March 14th in the UK, so I don't think you'll have to wait long. There's no way THAT one won't be coming to the U.S !"

Eight weeks is a pretty tight window, but who knows! You may be right.

10. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

Speaking of casting, who is that guy who plays Pontius Pilate (Hristo Shopov) man, he looks like a Roman marble statue you see in a museum. incredible.

11. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Hristo Naumov Shopov played Pilate. His filmography doesn't suggest the terrific talent he displays in the Passion, but an instance of an actor sorely underutilized by the industry is nothing new.

The cast for the film was uniformly excellent. Jim Caviezel gave the performance of the year, probably the greatest performance I've seen by an actor since Emily Watson's work in Breaking the Waves.