What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (2 Viewers)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Since I've collected every Mercury Living Presence I can in 24-96 sound, this will be a compulsory purchase. I'll have to haunt Ebay till I get a decent price since I can;t participate in Shout presales.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The first widescreen production from Douglas Sirk and Russell Metty (and the fourth from Universal - http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-widescreen) is currently undergoing restoration from archival 35mm elements.

TAZA, SON OF COCHISE is coming to 3-D Blu-ray in 2020!

Archive 2020 collage.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
History of Mankind (1957) on TCM right now in 1.33, should be around 1.85.

Is that the same as Story of Mankind? If so, the MOD DVD is also 1.33:1. I think the rationale was that although the movie came out in the widescreen era, a great many of the clips sourced from other films were from 1.33:1 films. I’m not sure I agree with the thinking but at least it wasn’t a totally random mistake.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hey Bob, can you help with a 1955 film aspect ratio? Can you confirm if Beast With a Million Eyes, aks Beast with 1,000,000 eyes should be widescreen? IMDB lists 1:37, but I assumed that being from 1955 it would most likely have been presented in flat widescreen, 1:85. The bluray came out in full frame. I'm assuming this is incorrect. Any chance you can confirm the correct aspect ratio?

-thanks again,

-Mark

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hey Bob,
Looks like we may need your expertise yet again.
Scream/Shout Factory just announced X The Unknown (1956) for Bluray release in February. They have it listed as 1:37, as does IMDB. Being from after the widescreen conversion, I am going to assume that this is incorrect and that it should be widescreen? Any chance you can assist and shine a light of knowledge on this? Thankfully your info helped them with attack of the puppet people Hopefully you can save the day again!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Hey Bob,
Scream/Shout Factory just announced X The Unknown (1956) for Bluray release in February. They have it listed as 1:37, as does IMDB. Being from after the widescreen conversion, I am going to assume that this is incorrect and that it should be widescreen? Any chance you can assist and shine a light of knowledge on this? Thankfully your info helped them with attack of the puppet people Hopefully you can save the day again!

Shout has already said on Facebook that the listing is incorrrect and the Blu-ray will be widescreen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hey Bob,

I don't know what information Bob has but, along with most other Hammer films, Kine Weekly didn't state the aspect ratio. It would have been either 1.66:1 or 1.75:1 in 1956.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Based on this I know what Cinerama and Cinemascope are--- but what are the other ones? Somehow I remember reading that Wonderama involved somehow splitting the image in two but not sure if my memory or indeed the information itself was correct. Anyone know?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Wonderama: 4-perf 35mm format in which an anamorphic image - filmed in another format, such as Technirama - is 'unsqueezed' and split down the middle. The two halves are configured side by side ('toe-to-toe' formation) in the space normally occupied by a single 4-perf 35mm frame. A prism on the projector rearranges the images into a 2.64:1 projectable frame. Originally known as ARC 120, and sometimes billed as Miracle ARC 120.

CineVision: Non-existent format, used for promotional ballyhoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks