What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (4 Viewers)

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Bob, thanks to you Jack and Bruce I think I've put together a pretty good post incorporating comments and visual material from each of you on the Elvis forum. Thank you.

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102189&p=1696857#p1696857

Do you have any information, thoughts on my Elvis On Tour (1972) questions earlier today?
Elvis On Tour was like Woodstock, projected 2.35 with the 1.85 sequences window boxed in the 2.35 frame, sometimes the single panal would open up to full 2.35, but it was all designed to be within the 2.35 frame.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Elvis On Tour was like Woodstock, projected 2.35 with the 1.85 sequences window boxed in the 2.35 frame, sometimes the single panal would open up to full 2.35, but it was all designed to be within the 2.35 frame.

when there were three (3) panels in the 2.35 frame was each panel 1.85 not 1.37?

Woodstock negative format used both 16mm and 35mm, was the same two negative formats used for Elvis On Tours well?

I would have expect16mm blown up would be quite grainy, but i dont see any grain issues on the EOT BluRay.That makes me think it was all 35mm.

thoughts?

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
when there were three (3) panels in the 2.35 frame was each panel 1.85 not 1.37?

Woodstock negative format used both 16mm and 35mm, was the same two negative formats used for Elvis On Tours well?

I would have expect16mm blown up would be quite grainy, but i dont see any grain issues on the EOT BluRay.That makes me think it was all 35mm.

thoughts?
They were shot 16mm with the idea of editing for multi screen and presenting in 2.35. If you read the book Dale Bell, the associate producer of Woodstock put together, he goes into detail, that on Woodstock they came up with special mattes for the single, double, and triple frames and those negatives were rephotographed in an optical camera with a Techniscope 2 perf pull down. Elvis On Tour, the single frame sometimes stretches to 2.35, sometimes it's, 1.85, and sometimes it goes to 1.37. That's just single panal. The blu rays of Woodstock and Elvis On Tour really show it, as the images are kept within the 2.35 frame.

Last edited:

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
They were shot 16mm with the idea of editing for multi screen and presenting in 2.35. If you read the book Dale Bell, the associate producer of Woodstock put together, he goes into detail, that on Woodstock they came up with special mattes for the single, double, and triple frames and those negatives were rephotographed in an optical camera with a Techniscope 2 perf pull down. Elvis On Tour, the single frame sometimes stretches to 2.35, sometimes it's, 1.85, and sometimes it goes to 1.37. That's just single panal. The blu rays of Woodstock and Elvis On Tour really show it, as the images are kept within the 2.35 frame.

Thank you very much Brian for the Elvis On Tour information, it was very helpful.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
On the other site, there is a discussion about the aspect ratio of the 1967 film Bedazzled. On the German Blu-ray it's 2.63, on the TT Blu-ray 2.35. I could only find a similar (not exact) match between the Fox DVD and the German Blu-ray. The German Blu-ray is probably showing the full AR of the negative without the sound track. Similar to the 1998 DVD of The Great Escape.

Fox DVD
0000122584.jpg

German Blu-ray
13185_8.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Were the Disney live action nature films shown full frame? I ask because Charlie the Lonesome Cougar was on TCM HD and shown full frame. The opening titles don't look like they could be cropped.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's hard to say. Most TV transfers of flat films aren't open matte - they're a little opened up or a little cropped, varying from shot to shot.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Were the Disney live action nature films shown full frame? I ask because Charlie the Lonesome Cougar was on TCM HD and shown full frame. The opening titles don't look like they could be cropped.

They do appear to be squeezed, though. Here's one expanded to 1:1.85.

d1_stretch.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Why are the Pink Panther Cartoon Collection disks 1.33? I would think they were shown 1.85 at theatres and drive-ins.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We have just restored the Perspecta Stereophonic Sound for the 1955 sci-fi classic, THIS ISLAND EARTH. Unheard anywhere since the original theatrical release, this incredible and dynamic three-channel audio system developed by legendary sound engineer Robert Fine (Mercury Living Presence) will knock you out!

Click here to pre-order: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/this-island-earth

View attachment 59190

Perspecta-logo-edited-1.png

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's for those who want to replicate the early TV viewing experience.

It was quite interesting looking at the audio WAV files on a scope.

Universal's current mono master is very even and flat meaning it's been heavily compressed and filtered in the digital realm. There's hardly any dynamic range whatsoever.

The 3-channel Perspecta track is the total opposite and really makes you appreciate the original intent for this highly dynamic sound design. When it's meant to be loud, they pulled no punches with the mix.

Forget about anything you've ever read about this unique sound system. There's a reason it was used on over 175 features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks