What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Aspect Ratio Documentation (1 Viewer)

AllenPerks

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen Perkins
Okay so I just finished watching the 1.66:1 version of Curse of Frankenstein, as seen on the newish Blu-ray, and was underwhelmed by how not bad the framing was. It looked fine to me. Sure, a handful of shots are fairly tight, but they don't look "wrong." It seems as if they were meant to appear that way. This doesn't look like a fullscreen-composed movie mutilated to 1.66:1, it just looks like a sleekly-shot 1.66:1 movie. And as others have noted in this thread, posting random screencaps with heads nearly cut is misleading and says nothing about how this version looks in general, and it's quite common to see heads get a little trimmed in movies anyway. The new kids running Hammer may insist that the movie was originally fullscreen, but at least they gave us an option to view, presumably, the accurate framing. Just wanted to offer my two cents for anybody who happens to read this post.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
AllenPerks said:
...but at least they gave us an option to view, presumably, the accurate framing.
Only after the outcry that followed their original intention.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have read the aspect ratio for Mary Poppins and The Nightmare Before Christmas is 1.66:1, is this correct, i ask because i'm having difficulties understanding such an aspect ratio because surely North American cinemas would only be equipped to show these movies at 1.85:1, i could ask the same question about Disney's The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians since the framing on the blu ray releases at 1.78:1 seems tight in a number of scenes.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
....and not to steal Bob's thunder. but I believe 1.75:1 was the preferred aspect ratio for most Disney titles during this period (1950s-70s). Any exceptions were either Scope or 70mm. The Nightmare Before Christmas has been 1.66:1 as long as widescreen versions have been available.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yep Including the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh which I think was finally released in its correct ratio on blu-ray. The DVD was badly framed at 1.33:1 instead of the correct 1.75:1. The 3 shorts were released theatrically originally in 1966, 1968 and 1974 before being put together as a film in 1977. Now if only Universal would go back and correct their botched 50's sci-fi collections.
Stephen_J_H said:
....and not to steal Bob's thunder. but I believe 1.75:1 was the preferred aspect ratio for most Disney titles during this period (1950s-70s). Any exceptions were either Scope or 70mm. The Nightmare Before Christmas has been 1.66:1 as long as widescreen versions have been available.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Bob,
I was recently watching The Phantom Tollbooth on my PVR. It was a flat transfer that crops extremely well to 1.78:1. Is the AR 1.85:1?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Stephen_J_H said:
Bob,
I was recently watching The Phantom Tollbooth on my PVR. It was a flat transfer that crops extremely well to 1.78:1. Is the AR 1.85:1?
I don't have any documentation but a January 1970 non-anamorphic release from MGM would most likely be 1.85:1.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, Mark.

Somebody wrote via our website and asked about MARTY. I'll share my response here in case anyone is interested.

MARTY began filming for widescreen on September 7, 1954 with location shooting in the Bronx. The interiors were done at the Goldwyn studio in Hollywood starting November 1, 1954.When reviewed by Boxoffice on March 26, 1955, 1.85:1 was the recommendation for exhibitors.

Marty-3.26.55-top.jpg

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Hi Bob. I'd be very interested to know if you have to hand any trades documentation for the U.S. release of Generale Della Rovere? It was released in the U.S. on November 21st, 1960, at least according to imdb.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
If the full frame image is 1.75:1, doesn't that mean Disney have cropped the BD presentation on the sides to 1.66:1, rather than opening it up top and bottom? What a joke.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
EddieLarkin said:
If the full frame image is 1.75:1, doesn't that mean Disney have cropped the BD presentation on the sides to 1.66:1, rather than opening it up top and bottom? What a joke.
They didn't scan a film print. They scanned the original negative which has much more picture information. Very few people have seen the original negative. Rumor has it that the oneg was hard-matted at 1.66:1 or less.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob,

AFI lists Sabrina as being filmed in the 1.75:1 ratio back in the Fall of 1953. However, the BD release is 1.33:1 ratio. Which one is accurate?

Edit: Never mind, as I read your earlier response to this question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks