What's new

Arrested Development Ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Almost forgot the line about the other Lucille changing Buster as a baby.
Going back to the previous episode (been very busy and didn't have time to post) my favorite line was this. Approximately anway:

Buster (to Michael): Mom took my bed.

Buster's mother: Buster is just going to have to decide what Lucille he will be sleeping with

I love checking in on this thread to re-enjoy some of the best moments from the episodes.

Fox, keep it coming!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
"And that's why you never try to teach your kid a lesson."

Good god this show is great. I'm hoping Fox's apparent reversal of cancellation trends keeps this one for years to come. I can't really say there's one character or actor that I like more than any other, they're all that good. It's like "Scrubs" with disgraced rich people instead of goofy neurotic doctors.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Some good news from the fox chat...
Hi there Peter. What are the plans for MAD TV & Arrested
Development on DVD?

peterstaddon: Hi Jim, ... Arrested Development is being looked at now and should be a lot of fun...
Good news that its coming to dvd, but perhaps the best part is that the the show is having some success?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is one time where if the show fails, you can't blame Fox. They gave it a great spot with serious advertising.:emoji_thumbsup:

While the episode was hilarious ("From, Fatty" and "Big Yellow Joint" followed by punk version), I think the most exciting moment in terms of this episode's potential was the touching little mother-daughter moment between Maeby and Lindsey. If they can continue sprinkling in little bonding moments like that without being overbearing than this is an even better show than I thought.

I also like that since Ron Howard sees as the scripts in his role as narrator, he's much more in the thick of things than many big name producers who add nothing but a vanity credit to the show.

Eric R C

Agent
Heather Graham is going to guest star as "hot ethics teacher" in an upcoming episode according to celebrity gossip on MSN.com

Heather Graham, who's had a rough time on the big screen lately with, well, pretty much everything she's been in since 2000, is heading to Fox, playing a hot ethics teacher on an episode of the critical darling "Arrested Development." No air date is yet scheduled.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's was the best yet.

G.O.B.:I need you to get the publicist back to spin something for me.Michael:Spin what?G.O.B.:Murder.

"I wish we still had money so I could buy a Klimpy's and burn it down."

And the inmates staring through the television.

And of course the great Carl Weathers!

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Tonight's was the best yet.
Totally agree, it was hilarious.

"I'll pay you a thousand dollars to touch me.... your married to Carl Weathers?!?"

The Prison tv phone...

"Hey boy, hey boy"

"Around here we do not wag our genitals to make a point"

Damn funny show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Carl Weathers was cracking me up on the handouts and damages. Too bad he didn't show up with a fake hand...

Also, the publicist calling George Michael "Opie" was a tip of the hat to the narrator, who then told her to "watch her mouth". Hehe.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
After having discovered the brilliant and hysterical Curb Your Enthusiasm about a year ago it became harder for me to enjoy "conventional" sitcoms, so reading about Arrested Development really piqued my interest.

I finally saw my first full episode last night and I have to say I was very disappointed. There were a few mildly amusing lines but that's it. It seems to me that simply having "zany" and "quirky" characters is not enough to be funny; the comic ideas and execution have to follow.

Also, the attempted documentary-style camera work (done properly on Curb) was bad here: the camera suddenly moving in on a character (and then back) was very obvious and forced. Not good.

Despite this, I am going to give the show another chance as sometimes it takes a few episodes to get into a new series...but I was not laughing at all last night.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It helps if you have seen the other shows because their quirks become amplified as the episodes roll on.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would say last night's episode was not as funny as previous ones, so I would say definitely give it another try.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Wow Kev, after last nights episode, I have moved Arrested Development ahead of Curb as the funniest show on TV. Once you know the characters it is even funnier.

There was about 8-10 lol moments for me and several scenes I had to rewind to watch again.

I don't know why but each time Michael spit his gum out had me laughing my ass off.

Tobias and his mannerisms are so perfect for that character, it makes him all the more hillarious.

G.O.B. is so freaking funny it is nuts, "I still can't get over the Michael is more likeable, you know he has only had sex with like 4 woman right?" Adam, that "Murder comment was so damn funny, GOB's look and the music made me laugh so freaking hard. Also, when he was trying to do his act and the old man couldn't here, GOB just opens up the box "He's gone." LOL.

The Prisoners starring at George Michael was also very funny. I also thought Carl Weathers was a great cast, just famous enough.

Finally, Lucille - "Yeah, who doesn't love the Jews."

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
And now I know why Buster always seemed to be lurking just around a corner! Like Patrick wrote, it's the evolution of the characters that makes this show my favorite on TV right now.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
Note to Jeremiah: One of the reasons I started watching the show is seeing the Larry David quote in your "signature" while reading this thread...so I will certainly give Arrested another shot. Perhaps I need to know the characters better or something. Lucille struck me as funny...but little else so far.

(Regarding your first statement: It would almost be impossible to top Curb, as far as I'm concerned; I literally think it's the funniest show in the history of television. Last week's "The Blind Date" was another LD masterpiece. I haven't seen this week's show yet as new episodes air on Tuesdays in Canada.)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Kev, once you know the characters a little better in AD, it does make it better. A friend and I watched it one night and he thought the show was OK, but I think it had a lot to do with him not knowing the characters. I say give it a go for 2 more episodes and see if it grows on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks