What's new

Arrested Development Ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Did anyone else see it last night?

I thought it was great and very funny. It took me a while to realize the main character was Jason Batemen. Next week's episode looks hilarious.

~T

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Arrested Development is so Hillarious. I was laughing so hard and there are two many funny things to mention. It has become my favouirte new comedy of the season along with Happy Family & Run of the House.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I saw it and loved it. You can't go wrong with a cast that includes Jeffrey Tambor, David Cross, and President Andrea Garcia-Thompson from PCU. I just hope it fares better than the equally brilliant Andy Richter Controls the Universe did in the same timeslot last year.

My favorite moments were Jason Bateman trying to explain to his family the definition of a "job" and Portia De Rossi attempting to cry. Twice.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember if I set up one of my VCRs to record this show last night, so I may or may not be able to comment on it later tonight... It's in a very bad timeslot for me.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I only saw the first couple minutes because the football game shifted everything on Fox back about 20 minutes (couldn't they have just joined the rerun Simpsons in-progress and get things back on track?), but from what I saw it was funny. I hope they do an encore presentation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think last night's Redskins/Cowboys game may have put the first nail in the coffin. Hopefully if they're doing a repeat again next week, they'll sub in the Arrested Development pilot for another Simpsons repeat.

Sort of like a weekly, west coast Tenenbaums. The characters started out a bit too broadly sketched, but by the end of the episode there was some genuine emotion going.

I love Ron Howard's narration too.

Only a couple laugh out loud moments for me; them being when David Cross's character boards the gay rights protest boat, Portia De Rossi getting nailed by the Jewish Defense League for her anti-circumcision movement, and Jeffery Tambor going "Oh shit" when Jason Bateman informs him that there's no law that says a husband and wife can't be prosecuted for the same crime. I got a chuckle when the Funkes were fleeing their hotel room, too.

Having them all living in the attic of the model home should be interesting, as a bunch of rich eccentrics used to having the freedom money brings all confined to a small space. Should be good for the family building dynamic, too.

Easily my favorite new show of the year. That probably means it's even more doomed, but I'm quietly optimistic.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I really liked this one as well - I found it fresh & funny. Even the names (Maebe, "GOB", George Michael...) are funny!! It has now been granted the ultimate honor of a Season Pass on my TiVo... ;)
Hopefully if they're doing a repeat again next week, they'll sub in the Arrested Development pilot for another Simpsons repeat.
Actually, I think "Bernie Mac" joins the Fox Sunday lineup next week - it'll be "KotH", "Simpsons", "Bernie Mac",
"Malcolm", and "Arrested Development". Oh yeah, and "Oliver Beene" in the 7 PM (6 CST) "Futurama Memorial Kiss Of Death" slot...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think last night's Redskins/Cowboys game may have put the first nail in the coffin.
This has been going on for longer than I've been alive... Isn't anyone padding their VCRs yet? :)

Brilliant show. When I first heard "documentary-style", I was a little worried, but they found a neat balance between doing it in the style but not doing a faux-documentary. It's the first real Fox show of the season, which is a good thing: I can't think of any other network that would try something this offbeat.

And it's flat-out funny, to boot. There were times when I was just exploding with laughter. I have no idea how they're going to juggle that many characters in a half-hour show.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
It was great. Excellent cast and some damn good writing. Good to see Jason Bateman again and David Cross and Jeffrey Tambor were great as expected. Hope it continues to be this good.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
There were some funny bits but it needs to pick up the pace a little. Hopefully, the exposition required in the pilot episode is behind them and there will be more nonstop pacing in future episodes.

The sister trying to cry was a classic moment. "Damn, I used to be able to do this". Another favorite was "No, I'm not gay. How many times must we have this conversation?", a perfect throwaway.

Promising series, I'll give the pilot a B- and watch again next week.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I watched it last night on tape. Really funny show. I dont know if it will go over most peoples heads.
Like the san francisco Chronicle said, so funny it's doomed.

I hope people tune into it. It might be a good match with Simpsons/Malcome and the Middle type of humor.

Here's an exerpt of the article....

There hasn't been a network show this funny since "Andy Richter Controls the Universe." Hey, wait a minute. Didn't Fox air that -- and cancel it? Didn't "Andy Richter" end up in the dustbin of humor history (with loads of other really good Fox series)? Must we temper our enthusiasm with the caveat that a show as brilliantly defiant of the sitcom rules as "Arrested Development" is asking for the Nielsen gods to smite it? Isn't there one honest person at Fox who will spare the ax on a show that, in a mere 22 minutes, wipes out the laughless hours wasted on everything else this fall? For God's sake, we're a desperate horde of wretches. Let us laugh with stupid abandon. Let there be a counterbalance in the world to "Good Morning, Miami."

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I agree, I thought it was very smart and well-paced, good characters.. Hopefully it'll be a hit and not go the way off other funny shows like Family Guy and Andy Kauffman Controls the Universe..

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Good point about it being too good to last. Especially with all the A- list talent. Sadly sure to fall to another bargain basement "Celebrity: Who Farted?" reality show.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
As to padding your vcr to record this show, I did not bother because when Futurama was on they just screwed it over for football, so I assumed a show at 10:30 was safe. I see they did not do this to king of the hill, so what has Mike Judge got over the fox executives? And why does Matt Groening not? I love how matt poked fun of fox for airing treehouse of horror in Novemeber.

I only saw 15 minutes of AD, but I expect to like this show a lot, so as most people said, it probably won't last.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Easily the funniest new show this year.

- David Cross crying in the shower
- "Remember our hair back then? What were we thinking?"
- George Michael's light bulb when the waiter served bananas flambe.
- "There's a dead dove in the freezer. - You didn't eat it did you?"
- "No touching!"
- "Did you set the storage facility on fire? - Oh most definitely."

Let's hope they don't give it a premature death. it was the only laugh out loud show during Fox's "Laugh Out Loud Sunday"

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Fox is now being sued by an Atlanta hip-hop group (split up for several years, just now getting back together) for using the name Arrested Development:

Yahoo article

:rolleyes

Chris

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Tonight's episode was not as good as last week's, but still very good. My favorite part was Jobe trying to throw the letter into the sea. It was pretty funny when the preview for the episode in two weeks, which I assume wasn't real, showed him putting a rabbit into the sea.

~T

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Fox is now being sued by an Atlanta hip-hop group (split up for several years, just now getting back together) for using the name Arrested Development:
When I first heard about this new show in the summer, I immediately thought that they should come up with a new name that isn't already associated with a former platinum selling music group.

As much as I like this show, they should have been able to avoid this by coming up with a different name.

Last night's episode was indeed great. I really hope it sticks around for a while.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Technically, since the hip-hop group is not in the same market as the TV show (music vs. television), I don't think they have a case.

Last night's show was great. The funniest part was when Michael opened the bag in the freezer and said "what was I expecting."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks