What's new

Around The World In 80 Days (1956) (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Should we give up our hopes for Around the World in Eighty Days"? It's been so long since we've heard any news.

I believe that since their Ben-Hur box that got released in 2011 Warner has not touched any costly large format title except for 2001 and that one is also a landmark science fiction movie and a Stanley Kubrick directed title so it has these things going for it, too.

That inactivity does not bode well for the remaining three titles that are still in need of a major investment (Raintree County and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm being the others) but IF they do something at all I would bet on Around the World in 80 Days being next in line.

No idea when that would be though so you may want to warm up to the 1080p streaming version or convince a local theater to screen a 70mm print one of these days, preferably in 30 frames per second.

Reactions: PMF

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Is the version that's presently playing on The Criterion Channel the same one that's been available for awhile? I'm hardly as perceptive as many on this group but it looks pretty good to me (excepting some raggedness right before the Intermission point) and thankfully all the proper roadshow features are included, including the Entr'acte and Exit music.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I watched it last week on DVD and it needs help, but I saw the TCM airing and that was much better, though still needed work. I’m hoping WA will surprise us...

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
That inactivity does not bode well for the remaining three titles that are still in need of a major investment (Raintree County and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm being the others) but IF they do something at all I would bet on Around the World in 80 Days being next in line.

I’m not so sure about 80 Days being next in line. There have been rumors going about that Warner is doing restoration work on Brothers Grimm.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Is the version that's presently playing on The Criterion Channel the same one that's been available for awhile? I'm hardly as perceptive as many on this group but it looks pretty good to me (excepting some raggedness right before the Intermission point) and thankfully all the proper roadshow features are included, including the Entr'acte and Exit music.
I watched it on Criterion Channel and it looked better than I have ever seen it... excellent sound too. The segment that was not as sharp was Cantinflas on a horse being chased.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I’m not so sure about 80 Days being next in line. There have been rumors going about that Warner is doing restoration work on Brothers Grimm.

I do not think that Warner would handle Grimm, this one would probably be on David Strohmaier and his team for the most part. As Grimm isn't available in any version that I would consider even remotely watchable I would hope that something gets done soon and I would applaud Warner for lowering their standards a bit for it so that we can get a decent release even though it won't be as perfect as HTWWW. Something along the lines of what we have for the better ones of the other 3-panel releases would be fine, with more detail and less DNR.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Can't imagine what they'd really do with Grimm. The elements are in sorry shape. They could make a decent dvd, but a blu-ray effort would disappoint. I'm gathering from this thread that Around the World is in a better position, but still would need an enormous amount of work. That said--it's worth doing.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One of the recent Warner Archive podcasts touches upon 80 Days after they read a letter from someone requesting it. They're up front about it needing expensive work, but that's all they say.

Though, I wonder if working with The Film Foundation more is a possibility after they collaborated on Mystery of the Wax Museum.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Can't imagine what they'd really do with Grimm. The elements are in sorry shape. They could make a decent dvd, but a blu-ray effort would disappoint. I'm gathering from this thread that Around the World is in a better position, but still would need an enormous amount of work. That said--it's worth doing.

I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, it would be possible with current technology, using elements from more than one source, and a sprinkling of Dave Strohmeier's magic, to produce a decent Bluray of Grimm.

But...the cost involved would be considerable, the return would be negligible in relation to that cost, and I think that Dave is looking forward to a well earned retirement.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, it would be possible with current technology, using elements from more than one source, and a sprinkling of Dave Strohmeier's magic, to produce a decent Bluray of Grimm.

But...the cost involved would be considerable, the return would be negligible in relation to that cost, and I think that Dave is looking forward to a well earned retirement.
Mr. Strohmeier posted in this forum some time ago that he is already enjoying his retirement.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Academy Award winning Best Picture hasn’t been seen in aeons, and has never been released in any video format.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think Mr. Harris is referring to the 30fps version of the film (I’m pretty sure the DVD’s are derived from the 24fps version).
Correct. I’m referring to the original Todd-AO version of the film. The general release 35mm version is running virtually all non-sync shots at 24fps, when they were shot at 30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks