What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Camille – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is there a more apt group of creators?

With the basis in Alexandre Dumas, George Cukor at the helm - William H. Daniels behind the camera, Margaret Booth cutting, and Greta Garbo, Robert Taylor and Lionel Barrymore leading an M-G-M all-star cast - what could go wrong?

Simple.

The film's incomparable popularity. No one knows when the original negative went south from wear. There was a lavender from which dupe printing negs were made, and presumably a safety fine grain from one of those dupes.

Which means that what survives isn't great.

The majority of Warner Archive's new restoration is derived from a nitrate dupe (third generation), and some other bits and pieces from a fourth generation fine grain.

Which means that grain is more obvious, there's a slight softness and shadow detail becomes a problem.

While none of these attributes get in the way of the story, and Garbo's wonderful turn as Marguerite Gautier, some viewers without a sufficient history in film elements may wonder what they're seeing.

As a film, we can understand why the original elements wore out. It stands the test of time in spades.

Film element problems aside, this is a film that should be in every serious collection.

As one of the extras, the Nazimova / Valentino 1921 silent from Metro.

Image – 3.25

Audio – 4 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - OK

Upgrade from DVD - Unquestionably

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Watched this again last night. Garbo’s performance never fails mesmerize.

The presentation is a bit uneven, for sure, but it’s still lovely. On first viewing of any WAC Blu-ray’s, I find myself analyzing the potential changes in sources, and the quality of the work, and I really shouldn’t. I always assure myself it’s the best it will ever be. I’ll chalk this up to being vaguely versed on how these presentations are pulled together, so I’m looking out for clues. I’d love to see more of this process.

Anyway, Camille is a film everyone should see at least once. Then on each viewing you’ll see more nuances in Garbo’s performance.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I only ever had it on the old, old vhs and I remember not liking the PQ. I remember especially the scene where they travel to the farm looking worse than the rest of the movie. The blu is light years away from that vhs. Never did look at the dvd.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Couldn't resist in noting for the record that a (very) heavily cut version of "Camille" arrived on UHD last fall courtesy of Sony, and in Dolby Vision and Atmos no less...

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
An “Image” score of 3.25 for Camille (now known as 6.5) is far better than my own current score of 0.00 for never having seen it; so a purchase became mandatory if, for anything, to keep up with our good and knowledgable cinephiles of HTF.

According to RAH’s review, WAC has given us the best of what reference materials survived, AND it’s a “restoration”. What more could be asked for? My thanks for this release of Camille.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks