What's new

Around The World In 80 Days (1956) (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I would agree that the stream on HBO Max is MUCH better than the DVD. Also better on the same platform is The Music Man - the Blu-ray is hideous and all yellow - what's streaming removes almost all the yellow and with a little tweaking it could be perfect color.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I had the pleasure of seeing 80 Days on a Cinerama Screen several times; in the late 1960s - early 1970s. It was a great experience and impressed me no end. I really enjoy the work of David Niven and Robert Newton. I have the DVD, which I enjoy, but, at least for me, the small (big monitor) screen experience brings out the shortcomings in the story, which on the Cinerama screen did not bother me. I would still happily purchase a Blu-Ray that had been through the WB process to maximise the elements.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
1971 or 1972
Movies 039.jpg

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
I'm somewhat envious of those who've seen this in 70mm... the only time I've seen this on the big screen was a screening 20 years ago of that cut-down version from the early 80's. The 35mm print had decent-ish color, at least. It'd be interesting (to people like me) to find out details on how that shortened version came to be, as I don't think it existed before 1983 or so.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm somewhat envious of those who've seen this in 70mm... the only time I've seen this on the big screen was a screening 20 years ago of that cut-down version from the early 80's. The 35mm print had decent-ish color, at least. It'd be interesting (to people like me) to find out details on how that shortened version came to be, as I don't think it existed before 1983 or so.
I believe it was cut for general release.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I loved seeing movies at The Wilshire, what a beautiful theater.
I grew up not far from there, so I was there quite often and saw many movies there. Superb sound and projection no matter what they were showing. I saw Sleeping Beauty there, Trapeze, Exodus road show, Birdman of Alcatraz, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, To Kill a Mockingbird and of course the biggie, The Sound of Music, which ran there for over two years I think, Star, Far from the Madding Crowd and on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks