What's new

Apple Silicon (ARM based) Macs buyers and owners thread (2 Viewers)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Yeah, I know, Ron and I being advocates for the iPad Pro as on the go computers and then both going back to laptops seems hypocritical. I think I've been pretty clear tho: for me the iPad Pro is a light duty but full featured content creation machine. It can't play Diablo or do Lightroom Classic, but it does everything else I need professionally plus entertainment wise, PLUS 5G in a highly portable package.
I'm at a loss to understand why Apple has not yet offered a cellular data modem option for the MacBook Pros. One where the cellular data plan could be turned on and off, on a month to month basis, as on an iPad.

Some major Wintel laptop makers have offered such modems (the hardware, anyway – not sure about the plan) for several years. Yes, there are other options (such as carrying around a smartphone set up to act as a WiFi hot spot), but this seems like one that would be a natural for Mac laptops, even if only some people chose it.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Btw I was fully planning on skipping Apple Care. Then last night one of my cats got shooed away trying to gnaw on the corner of the screen. Apple Care ordered
I guess you won't be running the iPad/iPhone games for cats, which show "fish" swimming around, and encourage the cat to paw the screen to get them … :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That’s basically it. Glad this is getting attention. Apple fixes things when enough people have problems and it gets mainstream attention. This is start. Also good to feel affirmed: not just me complaining about some made up problem. It’s real. Affecting people.

Not convinced it’s a classic memory leak issue. Maybe?

A big part of the user confusion is WTH is Application Memory? It’s not simple RAM.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Memory leak aside I’m glad to see these are largely living up to the expectations. Can’t wait for either rev2 next year or perhaps an updated Mini Max.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0118.jpeg

So good to have a Macbook Pro again and able to use my desktop

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Since this is the M1 thread...

Are there any disc catalog programs that support the M1 processor? Based on my limited searches it doesn't appear that DVD Pedia is ready for the ARM based silicon. Thanks in advance.

- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Listening to Grubers podcast he had on Daniel Jaikut who just got the 14” and is really smitten with the “It just works” of the LG ultra fine monitors. He paired the 14” with the 24”. That seems like a really terrific combo and while $700 isn’t cheap, jumping up to $1300 for the 27” is a lot to swallow.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Daniel also posted the solution for Migration Assistant woes: go into the startup mode and upgrade the OS on the new max before you begin migration. And make sure you are using a thunderbolt cable not a usb one by accident

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daniel also posted the solution for Migration Assistant woes: go into the startup mode and upgrade the OS on the new max before you begin migration. And make sure you are using a thunderbolt cable not a usb one by accident
My experience: run it from Time Machine backup and skip Mac to Mac.

Thunderbolt is probably fine if you’re upgrading from a new Mac to really-new Mac. But if you’re coming from something that pre-dates USB C, thunderbolt is confusing and expensive. Easier to just connect a Time Machine drive with a $5 USB-C adapter. And networked MA (wifi or Ethernet) was for us a complete failure.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listening to Grubers podcast he had on Daniel Jaikut who just got the 14” and is really smitten with the “It just works” of the LG ultra fine monitors. He paired the 14” with the 24”. That seems like a really terrific combo and while $700 isn’t cheap, jumping up to $1300 for the 27” is a lot to swallow.

This was really interesting. I’m not laptop people anymore, but from a decade ago, dockable laptops were a solved problem and worked great with Windows systems. But seemed like a black hole of despair for Mac professionals.

Good to hear there’s now a quality, easy docking solution for Mac laptops now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Final podcast comment: VergeCast last week discussed MBP screen versus $5000 XDR display. They said the new laptop screens much better than the XDR screen (and the XDR screen has serious deficiencies for actual pro video editors). Recommended listen if you’re into this stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wife took iPhone 8+ to Apple Store to trade-in (now that she’s got her iPhone 13 Pro). They gave her $175 trade-in (max value) after a five minute check over.

Returned old Watch S0 for recycling.

Returned my iPad Air 2 for recycling. It suffered a hardware failure two years ago, won’t charge right. I’ve held onto it since I didn’t feel right about trading it in, and just hoped it would magically fix itself. She gave it to the tech who turned it on — still had 7% charge from when I tried one last time to make it work — and gave my wife $180 trade in GC for it. She said there’s something wrong it. He said, it meets store trade in standards, and next tier can deal with whatever fixes are needed.

So, awesome. :)

I’ve got about $350 I can use for Apple Watch (assuming wife lets me use her iPhone GC :) ), if they’re ever in stock again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks