What's new

Apple Silicon (ARM based) Macs buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nice nice.
179D9004-B7C4-4561-926B-6C48196FCCC0.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am immensely enjoying my new MacBook Pro.

However, I am considering returning it and getting the 2TB model. Have to put more thought to it today.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is that more or less storage than you initially bought?

The 2019 MBP I bought was 2TB

I would have to wait till the end of December for a new machine if I returned this one. I am leaning towards just leaving things alone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep.

My wife is still trying to figure out why m1 Mac runs worse than decade old Intel Mac. Rosetta and memory management and multiple apps seems to not work great yet? Don’t really know. But workloads old Intel could do keep dying on m1.
Finally found others having similar application memory problem. Maybe a Law of Large Numbers issue, unfortunately. Maybe a rare quirk in first-gen hardware. I just learned that it happens when she wakes iMac from sleep. I’ve advised her to turn off sleep. (Sleep doesn’t matter on a desktop and we’ve got “free” electricity from solar so I super don’t care. :) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 2019 MBP I bought was 2TB

I would have to wait till the end of December for a new machine if I returned this one. I am leaning towards just leaving things alone.
And since I’m asking… what’s your offsite backup approach? :)

I used BackBlaze for years. But I belatedly and begrudgingly concluded that iCloud desktop and documents can suffice as my cloud backup. Need to get my wife on that as well. Dropping BackBlaze will pay for iCloud 2TB storage for us.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No offsite backup.

I use Time Machine with an attached external drive

I also use SuperDuper for backups that I do every few months. I am not sure SD is M1 compatible, but I am assuming it is.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No offsite backup.
The Big Bang Theory Reaction GIF

I use Time Machine with an attached external drive

I also use SuperDuper for backups that I do every few months. I am not sure SD is M1 compatible, but I am assuming it is.
SuperDuper is brand newly able to do bootable M1 backups. You should buy a new copy of SD, start with a brand new Erase Then Copy backup. Then set it for your regular Smart Update backups from then on. Details here:

Users on Apple silicon systems with older (pre-2019 or so) licenses will need to either purchase a new license or run under Rosetta.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Finally found others having similar application memory problem. Maybe a Law of Large Numbers issue, unfortunately. Maybe a rare quirk in first-gen hardware. I just learned that it happens when she wakes iMac from sleep. I’ve advised her to turn off sleep. (Sleep doesn’t matter on a desktop and we’ve got “free” electricity from solar so I super don’t care. :) )

Sleep has long been a MacOS and Windows issue. I haven’t let any machine of mine sleep for close to 20 years because weirdness tends to ensue when it wakes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
SuperDuper is brand newly able to do bootable M1 backups. You should buy a new copy of SD, start with a brand new Erase Then Copy backup. Then set it for your regular Smart Update backups from then on. Details here:
That's good to know. It did run an upgrade this week. But... why do you need to buy a new copy of SD?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
My iMac formatted the Sandisk 4tb SSD in 3 seconds. The issue must be Monterey or the MBP itself:
View attachment 117406

It's not super fast tho:
View attachment 117407

Is that a SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD V2 drive?

https://www.westerndigital.com/prod...isk-extreme-pro-usb-3-2-ssd#SDSSDE81-1T00-G25

The specifications on that indicate that it has a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 ("up to 20 Gbps") interface. Unfortunately, USB4 defines three incompatible "up to 20 Gbps" modes. The USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 one is optional. According to a couple of reports I've seen in other forums, M1-based Macs don't support it. When you plug in a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 drive, the M1-based Mac and drive fall back to USB 3.1 Gen 2 ("up to 10 Gbps"). Yes, even though the ports support 40 Gbps USB4 transfers and 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 3 transfers (both optional), there is no requirement to support 20 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 transfers.

It's too early to know whether for certain whether the M1 Pro and Max have a different arrangement. There is no indication in Apple's technical specifications, one way or the other.

Still, 943.4 MB/s (7547.2 Mb/s) is about 3/4th of 10 Gbps, which suggests that the MBP and drive are communicating using USB 3.1 Gen 2, with some overhead.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

An extremely positive review of the new MBPs. Except for gaming. To answer Ron's previous question about "are these now gaming machines?" the Verge's review addresses this at 12:27 mark. They don't do poorly, so you can game, but you can get better gaming performance from gaming focused non-Mac Intel laptops at half the price.

TL;DR, The most powerful laptops they've ever tested, and if you're doing heavy video work, get the Max over the Pro. Still not a top-tier gaming laptop.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's good to know. It did run an upgrade this week. But... why do you need to buy a new copy of SD?
They explain it in their blog. They have legacy code problem with their licensing system. You can’t upgrade from Intel-version to M1-version on a pre-2019 license.

You can run SuperDuper in Rosetta if you have the older license and don’t want to pay for an upgrade.

I’ve gotten so much value out of $30 paid years ago, I have no heartburn about buying anew for M1 hardware.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Wife called Apple Support. They didn’t have a known solution. But they said that “Application Memory” problems is not caused by having 8GB vs 16GB.

That gets me out of the doghouse for buying 8GB instead of 16GB.
Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks