What's new

The Apple Vision Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You do realize you’re saying this to a bunch of Apple customers who spend our hard-earned money on what we have decided is a good value, and not because we’re dumbasses taken in by a logo?

I mean, you know that right? Because this is actually a pretty insulting comment to me and others in this forum.
If you consider it good value that is your right. It is.my right to think that Apple overcharges for its brand name. My comment can.apply to any brand name product including a.lot that I have spent a lot of momey on. It has nothing to do with thinking someone is a dumbass for spending money on expensive products. That is your projection, not mine.

I spent 800 bucks Canadian on the PSVR2 headset which I found rather disappointing, except for one game. It was too much money for the quality it had.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It’s also on 3D Blu-ray, if you are so equipped. Hitchcock uses mostly depth staging to make us, the audience, feel like voyeurs within a private space. I find it very effective.

The same member disparaged any reviewer reviewing a product they didn’t pay for themselves, which can be taken as a highly inflammatory insult towards the entire HTF review staff. I suppose any newspaper reviewer attending a press screening is on the take if we follow that rationale to its logical conclusion.
Try reading my other comment regarding reviewers that do reviewing as a part of their employment, before posting your.own inflammatory comments suggesting that I'm insulting or referring to anyone on this forum. I never mentioned one individual on this forum or suggested that anyone reviewing for this site is shilling.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you consider it good value that is your right. It is.my right to think that Apple overcharges for its brand name. My comment can.apply to any brand name product including a.lot that I have spent a lot of momey on. It has nothing to do with thinking someone is a dumbass for spending money on expensive products. That is your projection, not mine.

I spent 800 bucks Canadian on the PSVR2 headset which I found rather disappointing, except for one game. It was too much money for the quality it had.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, Edwin. Thread-farting just because you don’t like a particular company or their products is unwarranted.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So the only time a.person is able to comment on Apple or its products here is if a person has only positive things to say or praises to sing? Understood. Thank you for your input. At least it wasn't suggesting that I was disparaging HTF reviewers.

Robert Saccone

Premium
From what I can gather from listening to some these reviews is ir has been released too early as a consumer product. The headset is still mainly a tool for developers.
Yes, I've been saying for sometime now that one of the main purposes of this coming out is to get it into developer hands so they get experience with the hardware and the software platform and to see what applications they can dream up. That's going to be another input into how Apple evolves this platform. Too early for consumers though? For some or most maybe. I think it also pretty evident that based on the components that make up this headset that it is also targeted at a subset of consumer's want a very high end personal media consumption device. It's a worthwhile use case. Buy it if you want or wait a few generations until it either hits your price point.

Apple can certainly afford this grand experiment and in some ways they have to explore this realm. It's quite possible that a very lightweight glasses devices not possible at this time might someday supplant the phone sales and they want to be sure if that happens they are the ones cannibalizing their own sales.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, I've been saying for sometime now that one of the main purposes of this coming out is to get it into developer hands so they get experience with the hardware and the software platform and to see what applications they can dream up. That's going to be another input into how Apple evolves this platform. Too early for consumers though? For some or most maybe. I think it also pretty evident that based on the components that make up this headset that it is also targeted at a subset of consumer's want a very high end personal media consumption device. It's a worthwhile use case. Buy it if you want or wait a few generations until it either hits your price point.

Apple can certainly afford this grand experiment and in some ways they have to explore this realm. It's quite possible that a very lightweight glasses devices not possible at this time might someday supplant the phone sales and they want to be sure if that happens they are the ones cannibalizing their own sales.
Reasonable.

Edit: Deleted the rest for negativity.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
iPhone was too early to market
iPad was too early to market
Watch was too early to market
Tv was too early to market…:

Anyway. This is neat.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I'd be interested to hear what you think.of the 3D quality in general.
I’ve sampled portions of Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D and found it to be quite good. I noticed that No Time To Die and Hugo have shown up in my Apple movie library in 3D but I haven’t had time to try those out.

What I really would love to have is the 3D conversion of Jaws that was out in 22.

I’ve been really impressed with movie watching on the VP since I first got time with it back in the fall. Being a home theater enthusiast it was one of the things that made me interested in getting one for myself. As I think I mentioned before I had no interest in this device when it was unveiled at WWDC given my past experiences with other headsets but in my professional capacity as a software developer for Apple platforms I ended up going to one of Apple’s workshops before it was released and came away very impressed with the platform in general.

From that workshop I can say that while Apple obviously has their uses cases for the VP, however they were also very interested in hearing about how attendees thought the VP might be applied to their business domains.

From a software developer perspective there is nothing more exciting than living through the birth and incubation of a new platform.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That.wad quite an extensive review. I thought he might have something similar for.the Pimax Crystal, but doesn't Look like it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was listening to the current episode of The Talk Show, got about 20 minutes in, and just gave up and deleted it. I’m bored with the Vision Pro coverage. Two weeks in, and the novelty of all the release hype and hot takes and early reviews is over. And now, there’s a product that in practice doesn’t exist in real life, no one owns, and I will not use or see in normal life for perhaps years.

And it’s sucking the oxygen out of the room for any other tech talk.

The Apple Watch, I had no use for until three years in. But my wife got the Gen 0. It cost $350, not $3500. So it was a product I could be interested in, despite not owning one until Gen 3 or so.

Moreso the iPhone: cellphones were a thing. And even if I didn’t buy in until iPhone 4, as I bought cellphones and considered getting a BlackBerry for work, the rapid evolution of the iPhone was something to follow even before owning one. And they were in the wild from day 1. A coworker had the OG iPhone at work that first month.

iPad, same. Wife bought in on Gen 2, I think. I was there for the maligned iPad 3.

But the VP? Incredible tech demo. AR/VR is a big deal. But I’m faced with the reality that for me as a tech and gadget fan, it’s still a premature tech demo / dev kit, owned by no one, with no use case. I‘m sure I’ll start seeing them on my travels over the next year. But they’ll be a rarity. I doubt any friends will have one before I do.

This is not to take away from anyone’s continuing enthusiasm for tracking this potentially Big Deal product from Apple. I‘m very interested in where this is next year. And the year after.

But I’m looking forward to some normal Mac mini product announcements or WWDC with iPhone and iOS updates, and hoping for my websites and podcasts to get on to some other topic than VP sooner than later. :)

Robert Saccone

Premium
I was listening to the current episode of The Talk Show, got about 20 minutes in, and just gave up and deleted it. I’m bored with the Vision Pro coverage. Two weeks in, and the novelty of all the release hype and hot takes and early reviews is over. And now, there’s a product that in practice doesn’t exist in real life, no one owns, and I will not use or see in normal life for perhaps years.

And it’s sucking the oxygen out of the room for any other tech talk.

The Apple Watch, I had no use for until three years in. But my wife got the Gen 0. It cost $350, not $3500. So it was a product I could be interested in, despite not owning one until Gen 3 or so.

Moreso the iPhone: cellphones were a thing. And even if I didn’t buy in until iPhone 4, as I bought cellphones and considered getting a BlackBerry for work, the rapid evolution of the iPhone was something to follow even before owning one. And they were in the wild from day 1. A coworker had the OG iPhone at work that first month.

iPad, same. Wife bought in on Gen 2, I think. I was there for the maligned iPad 3.

But the VP? Incredible tech demo. AR/VR is a big deal. But I’m faced with the reality that for me as a tech and gadget fan, it’s still a premature tech demo / dev kit, owned by no one, with no use case. I‘m sure I’ll start seeing them on my travels over the next year. But they’ll be a rarity. I doubt any friends will have one before I do.

This is not to take away from anyone’s continuing enthusiasm for tracking this potentially Big Deal product from Apple. I‘m very interested in where this is next year. And the year after.

But I’m looking forward to some normal Mac mini product announcements or WWDC with iPhone and iOS updates, and hoping for my websites and podcasts to get on to some other topic than VP sooner than later. :)

I think next we should be hearing about a new iPad Pro.

Robert Saccone

Premium

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks