What's new

Apple Silicon (ARM based) Macs buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They explain it in their blog. They have legacy code problem with their licensing system. You can’t upgrade from Intel-version to M1-version on a pre-2019 license.

You can run SuperDuper in Rosetta if you have the older license and don’t want to pay for an upgrade.

I’ve gotten so much value out of $30 paid years ago, I have no heartburn about buying anew for M1 hardware.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree. SD has been a great value, and I have no problem spending $30 to get it going on M1. In fact, I do have an M1 MB Air already, so now that it's running properly, I might as well finally go with that.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Us iMac people keeping eyes on you mini people!
Watching You Tina Fey GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yep, it will be interesting to see if I still want to go back to an iMac after this MBP. I did my first Lightroom edits tonight, using the Sandisk 4tb drive. It might not be getting all the expected bandwidth but it is 3x as fast as my Thunderbolt GDrive hard disk. I edited about a hundred pics keeping the catalog on the drive itself and then brought the SSD to my old iMac and imported everything in on one go. Easy peasy. So I think that’s my model for now: get the fastest SSDs I can afford of any size, edit on them then archive to the gdrive and backup to usb drives that are rotated out of state

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep, it will be interesting to see if I still want to go back to an iMac after this MBP. I did my first Lightroom edits tonight, using the Sandisk 4tb drive. It might not be getting all the expected bandwidth but it is 3x as fast as my Thunderbolt GDrive hard disk. I edited about a hundred pics keeping the catalog on the drive itself and then brought the SSD to my old iMac and imported everything in on one go. Easy peasy. So I think that’s my model for now: get the fastest SSDs I can afford of any size, edit on them then archive to the gdrive and backup to usb drives that are rotated out of state
It seems like it’s wholly a matter of whether you need / want a portable (real) computer?

My uses, I don’t need or want a laptop. A desktop for computer stuff. And an iPad for mobility (e.g. HTF in bed at night). But I don’t have normal professional computer usage compared to most tech pros, and I don’t have video-editing hobbies.

So, would an even faster M1 Pro Max computer with an even better and bigger screen be more or less useful than a mobile video editing system?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint

An extremely positive review of the new MBPs. Except for gaming. To answer Ron's previous question about "are these now gaming machines?" the Verge's review addresses this at 12:27 mark. They don't do poorly, so you can game, but you can get better gaming performance from gaming focused non-Mac Intel laptops at half the price.

TL;DR, The most powerful laptops they've ever tested, and if you're doing heavy video work, get the Max over the Pro. Still not a top-tier gaming laptop.

From my understanding, Macs have never been marketed as gaming machines. They are adequate and even excel and lead the pack at certain things but gaming has never been one of them.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
Wife called Apple Support. They didn’t have a known solution. But they said that “Application Memory” problems is not caused by having 8GB vs 16GB.

That gets me out of the doghouse for buying 8GB instead of 16GB.
Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF
My money is still on letting the iMac go to sleep instead of just powering off causing the issues. It takes, what, a few seconds to fully boot a new iMac with a SSD vs the old spinning platter so why even bother mucking about with sleep?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
I still use a 2012 MacBook Pro which I swapped out the mechanical HDD for a SSD years ago and it still works fine. Although the new MacBook Pros are super awesome, I’m starting to lean back into the same camp as John. At this point in my life and career, I think my next Mac purchase will be a Mini and I’ll eventually retire the MacBook Pro. For years, I carried my MacBook Pro to work with me and used it when I had to go out and do field work or travel for work and training. Recently, my job issued me a new Windows 10 Dell Latitude laptop to replace a 10 year old Windows 7 desktop in my office that was experiencing a slow, painful death. Now that I have a company laptop to use docked in my office on a triple monitor setup and when I have to travel or do field work, I don’t have any desire to schlep my heavy MacBook Pro along with me every day.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgraded iMac M1 to Monterey, to see if that fixes "application memory" problem.

After that, disable sleep to see if that fixes it.

If Monterey doesn't fix it, then I'm hoping we can press on Apple to replace the whole iMac. This is not normal behavior for a brand new computer. It feelsl like a Gen 1 fab problem and we should get replacement hardware. But, we'll see.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This may have already been covered, but what's the rationale for no 27" (or larger) M1 iMacs (yet)?

I'm not really looking to go Mac myself (anytime soon anyway), but was curious to check what's available now (and at what prices) and just noticed...

Can't imagine downsizing my setup to 24" -- actually, I'd much rather not be so tightly coupled to a fixed display...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
It seems like it’s wholly a matter of whether you need / want a portable (real) computer?

My uses, I don’t need or want a laptop. A desktop for computer stuff. And an iPad for mobility (e.g. HTF in bed at night). But I don’t have normal professional computer usage compared to most tech pros, and I don’t have video-editing hobbies.

So, would an even faster M1 Pro Max computer with an even better and bigger screen be more or less useful than a mobile video editing system?
Yeah, I know, Ron and I being advocates for the iPad Pro as on the go computers and then both going back to laptops seems hypocritical. I think I've been pretty clear tho: for me the iPad Pro is a light duty but full featured content creation machine. It can't play Diablo or do Lightroom Classic, but it does everything else I need professionally plus entertainment wise, PLUS 5G in a highly portable package. If the iMac came first I never would have purchased a MBP. But it didn't and I wanted M1 Max power for HEAVY content creation like D850 file handling so this will either be a temporary stop or get me through to either this iMac release or one down the line. Until then tho no regrets =)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
This may have already been covered, but what's the rationale for no 27" (or larger) M1 iMacs (yet)?

I'm not really looking to go Mac myself (anytime soon anyway), but was curious to check what's available now (and at what prices) and just noticed...

Can't imagine downsizing my setup to 24" -- actually, I'd much rather not be so tightly coupled to a fixed display...

_Man_

Educated guess:

1. Apple's been starting with entry-level machines and working their way up. This reflects the fact that Apple Silicon chips are refined versions of chips developed for the iPhone and iPad. Apple is taking the computing-power-per-watt efficiency from the mobile world, and trying to keep that advantage while scaling up absolute performance. So the entry-level Macs are the fruit that Apple picked while their processor designers scurried around looking for longer ladders.

2. The M1 Pro and Max are the first Apple Silicon SoCs that support more than 16 GB of RAM. The current generation of 27" Intel-based iMacs accept up to 128 GB of socketed RAM. If Apple were to release a 27" M1-based iMac that had the same 16 GB RAM limit as the 24" iMac, can't you imagine the howls of outrage?

3. Laptops are where much of the Mac market is. This was part of why Apple switched from PowerPC CPUs to Intel ones in 2006. If anything, I would think that customer demand for laptops over desktops would be even stronger now. If Apple has to make decisions on where to allocate possibly-scarce resources (like engineering time, or M1 Pro and Max chips), it a pretty good bet that the MBPs are going to be in line before the Minis and iMacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKASGamingYT
Recent bookmarks