What's new

Apple Silicon (ARM based) Macs buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What brand and size of monitor is that?

Thomas is correct. That is the G9.

There is the Odyssey Samsung monitor that is even more curved than that one, but it's designed more for gaming whereas the one I have is designed for work.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgraded iMac M1 to Monterey, to see if that fixes "application memory" problem.

After that, disable sleep to see if that fixes it.

If Monterey doesn't fix it, then I'm hoping we can press on Apple to replace the whole iMac. This is not normal behavior for a brand new computer. It feelsl like a Gen 1 fab problem and we should get replacement hardware. But, we'll see.
The good news: a week later, upgrading to Monterey has eliminated the memory error on my wife’s M1 iMac.

The bad news: she can’t tell any performance benefit compared to her 2013 i5 iMac!
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That just means she’s not stressing the machine as much as she thought she was. The M1 is a beast but only if you need it for beastly tasks.
She runs Adobe creative cloud.

I asked why we bought her a new computer if her 8 year old iMac was super fast enough?

The conversation halted and she changed the subject. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think this is really a difference between computer geeks and normal people.

I noticed previously how slow it was switching apps or quitting apps, due to swapping on her old Fusion drive. I’m sure that’s all gone with instant launch, switching, and quitting. But she’s a normal person and just works and doesn’t really have an internal logging function for that.

I’m positive that if I could switch her back to the old iMac in a couple weeks, she’d be screaming about how slow it was. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Good NY Times article on Apple's M1 success:

Just finished reading that terrific article. Made me feel really good.

Not only that, it makes me feel very proud of Apple. For years they had to deal with the bottlenecks of Intel's chip release schedule and delays. Apple couldn't be their own company, on their own schedule, until they did something completely revolutionary.

Creating their own silicone chips was the most revolutionary thing Apple has ever done and they have succeeded beyond everyone's expectations. This is why I am such an Apple fanboy. With the exception of a few product letdowns, whatever that company touches turns to gold. They always manage to put out products that are far more innovative than the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks