What's new

Anyone know a good place to get rope lighting from? (1 Viewer)

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
I typed it in the Yahoo search engine but all of the sites listed look like they were made on Tripod or something so I'm kind of skeptical from ordering from them. Is there any place you guys can recommend that are reliable? Reason being I need some sort of lighting behind the tv and rope would be perfect for my setup.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Home Depot and Lowe's sells it for a fairly reasonable price-- about $8 for 12 feet, as I recall. Also, some K-Marts stock it. I've bought from K-Mart and Home Depot and have been happy with both. If you need to make a straight run, I suggest buying the rope light channels that Home Depot sells. They make for a very easy installation.

BrianKR

Second Unit
If you belong to a Sam's Club you can buy 48' for $12.95.
That is the best price I have seen it anywhere. I need more exact lengths for under my stage and riser so I bought Hampton Bay from Home Depot. They also carry the channel holders for the rope lights. You really should purchase them when you buy the lights; it makes installation a snap.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Wow thanks guys I'll head over Kmart and Home Depot later this week. Channels?, I'm glad you mentioned this because I was thinking about how I was going to mount this all around my entertainment center. These channels will definitely make things alot eaiser, do you happen to remember how much they cost?

BrianKR

Second Unit
The channels cost $2.96 per 6' lengths. They have a peel away adhesive on the back of them. It is very strong if you are connecting it to a smooth surface. I bought very thin 3/4" screws to mount the channels under my riser because I don't think the adhesive will do the trick on my carpet.

The nicest thing about the channels is keeping the lights straight and the bulbs in the rope/sleeve all pointing the same direction. The channels make a big difference in appearance when you turn your ropes on. Make sure you take your time and face the bulbs in the rope outward when inserting them into the channels.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the cheaper stuff goes really yellow. If you want a more neutral light you might need to spend more. Talk to someone at a local lighting store and see what they have to say.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I'm glad I caught this thread. I bought rope light from home depot but never saw the channels. I even thought to myself after installing the rope lights "I wish there were something to make the light install look better". Well, now I know!

MikeWh

Second Unit
For Brian Corr and others-- the HDepots in my area display the channels in a vertical PVC pipe that is afixed to the metal shelving where the rope lights are sold. They have a bright orange peel-off backing strip on them.

I also noted that the Lowe's in my area doesn't carry the channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks