HT Construction questions...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Camm, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Mike Camm

Mike Camm Agent

Greetings all... Im a long time reader.. first time poster... I am currently in the process of building my home theater.. not from the ground up.. just converting a 15 x 11 spare bedroom... and I have a few questions and would like any suggestions from any of you...on anything Im about to mention.

Just to give you an idea ... as i said the room was a bedroom.. so what i was going to do was widen the closet that runs the full width of the room on one side.. and place my 65" widescreen and all of my components, front speakers, etc... in that opening. I was thinking of putting the tv on a 10-15" platform to give it some height. The room is going to be made up of 3 levels of seating. The very close 5' row which will be on the floor itself (for upclose video game and computer action).. the 2nd row at 10' which I was going to build an 8-10" riser and put a couch on (the sweet spot) and then a 3rd row which at very back at 15' where I would build a 16-18" riser and put another couch. Im going to be putting up a crown molding/shelf like thing around the entire room at about 3" drop from the ceiling and back light with rope lighting. The components, speaker, tv area in the front would also be back lit. And then I was thinking of getting my favorite movie posters framed and put maybe 2 frames on every wall minus the front wall which contains the tv etc... I would then use ligting attached to the crown molding/shelf like thing to accent the picture frames... and where there wasnt a picture frame I was going to have curtains having picture frame, curtain, picture fram, curtain etc, all the way, alternating effect the whole way around the room... (there are no windows in this room to contend with so we are ok there)

So my questions are... or what websites should I visit... ?

Where can i go to find out what proper heights to make the risers and stage area for proper viewing?

What should I use for construction..as far as sound deaden materials.. Ive seen people fill there stages and such with sand.. but I just dont want to do that.. I was thinking that if I tore up the old carpet and layed it in the framing that would do the trick.. I have also seem people use roofing paper.. but I wasnt certain how and what that actually did.
    Any thing that Im missing in ways to deaden sound travel through the risers, helpful hints, must do's etc?

Is putting up framed movie posters a bad idea because it will be more sound reflective surfaces to deal with ?

Knowing that the sound travels in waves... is the main goal of any theater room to have the sound originate from the source, travel to ones ears and then be absorbed by deadening materials ? I mean.. will there always be some kind of sound bouncing around and we are just trying to eliminate the most of it.. ? Or is some sound reflection good ?

So any answers, comments, things i might be missing.. help from anyone would be much appreciated or any good resource spots that you know of as well.

Thank you very much I appreciate any help.

Mike
    Clearwater, Florida

2. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Mike

3. Mike Camm

Mike Camm Agent

Thanks Ed all of your info helps alot... and I would definately like to see pictures of yours if Im doing the same thing you did... you can send them to my email address at [email protected]

And you said it exactly.. the very front row is just temporary and removable seating... and I hadnt though about setting the back row out a little from the wall for 6.1 or 7.1 .. Im just still on 5.1 for the moment but thats a good idea for future.
    Do you have any thoughts on the risers.. ? Did you build risers... ? Im just having trouble figuring out what to do to make them more solid to sound proof. I am going over Terrazzo floors.. unfortunately.. thx florida and your crummy soil ! Im just trying to figure out.. if I should put carpet down first.. then build the risers or just use a nice 1/4 bead of silicone caulk on the bottom of the risers to do that "floating" thing.. and then feel between with insulation.. ? Any thoughts.. that the part that I am on now ?

Thanks for replying.. I can use all the help !

4. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Mike,

I just sent you an email with the pictures.

See Ya
    Ed

5. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Mike

I just emailed picture again. Don't klnow what happened.

Hey I didn't make risers so I can't comment about your situation. Try searching the forum or make a post about risers.

Talk to you soon
    Ed

6. Mike Camm

Mike Camm Agent

Thanks Ed.. I appreciate it...

Ok .. if anyone can give me feedback on the riser question above.. I would greatly appreciate it ...

Thanks all

7. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Mike did you get the pictures

Also start a new thread about the risers you will probably get more feedback see as people may have already seen this thread.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Hey there is a hometheaterbuilder magazine that advertises on this site. You may want to look into that. I am going to buy a copy of one of their old issues about building a candy stand.

Thanks
    Ed

8. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

The Riser: It can be quite simple. Basically I sat someone in the first row and then ran a string from the bottom of the screen over the head of the adult in the first row and stopped where my second row would be. I then measured the hieght at the front row head and the hieght at the proposed second row. Subtract second row from first and you have a riser hieght.

For me it was about a foot. So using 2 x 10's plus two sheets of 1" sheeting gets you there. I do agree with the previous poster about the three rows. With my 65" RPTV I would be hard pressed to get a third row in there.You can check out my pictures here. http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gre...heatre&.view=t

9. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

I sent them to the link you gave above
    I will try again.

10. Mike Camm

Mike Camm Agent

Hey Ed.. got them.. thx boy you're right.. that is exactly what Im doing.. lol !

Very nice... !

11. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Cool,

Glad you finally got them . I told you I wasn't that computer savy...LOL

Oh yeah welcome to the world of home theater...Let the fun begin. Like I said if you need any help you can email me .

See Ya
    Ed