What's new

Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have a weird situation! I signed up with a referral, ordered my 7 movies and had 3 more to buy in the next 2 years. I changed my address and ordered one of those 3 and sent it directly to my folks as a present. My folks have an account and disney did not like 2 accounts at one address so they closed my account!

First, welcome to the forum! :)

Second, I would think that since Disney closed your account, it's not your fault that you didn't complete your purchase commitment. Whether you can get a representative to agree with that is an open question.

If you can convince them to reopen your account with your address, that would seem to be the best thing, then you can complete your commitment in due time.

It is weird that they don't have an option built in to send a specific movie as a gift to another address. You'd think that would be easy to do.

However, I'm not actually a member so I can't say for sure how they will react.

Good luck.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Hiya! I did a google search and I found this forum!

I have a weird situation! I signed up with a referral, ordered my 7 movies and had 3 more to buy in the next 2 years. I changed my address and ordered one of those 3 and sent it directly to my folks as a present. My folks have an account and disney did not like 2 accounts at one address so they closed my account!

I received my 7 initial movies. am I free in the clear to keep them, or do I need to return them because I didnt/cant keep my 3 movie commitment? I tried asking them but im not getting a clear answer. Im hoping someone here has had a similar experience.

the last thing I want is a bill for 7 full priced movies in a month or two!

I agree with the previous folks about trying to contact a supervisor level on the phone -- I'd say at least one or two levels above the normal 1st Phone person. I'd say if they shut your account down then you aren't obligated on the further purchases since you really have no way to fulfill your commitment due to their actions, but I'd certainly like to have that in writing. There is a 30 Day trial period that at worst you can send things back and be clear with them. Hopefully they didn't shut your parents account down too -- wouldn't be the first time they punished both sides/

The other help (though less than in the past ) had been the Facebook page and the DMC rep there (?Patricia).

DMC is extremely strict on the 2 account/address issue and it has caused issues before though yours seems to be an unusual and defensible
position since your account was at least initially based at a separate billing/shipping address. I've heard multi-family households with a single mail-box, apartment roommates, and even adjacent apartments or duplex addresses b/c the addresses confused the computer system.

I do have a bit of a question -- you mentioned changing addresses in the opening line. Was either the original or the new address your parent's address or were you just going to send that one item to them?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Expected release dates June 5 from the other threads.
I added the Best Buy Exclusive 4K Steelbooks just for comparison

toystorymulti11557243832234.png
toystory4k11557246032878.png
6337228_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

toystory2multi11557244501152.png
toystory24k11557245923410.png
6337231_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

toystory3mulit11557245373481.png
toystory34k11557245810255.png
6337227_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what resolution the original Toy Story was actually created at.

I had heard a variation of this before, but
"The Pizza Planet truck makes an appearance in every other Pixar film other than The Incredibles. Its number plate is "RES1536", a reference to the 1536x922 resolution in which Toy Story was originally rendered."

Additionally even at this resolution it was fairly simple animation compared with TS2 and esp TS3.
It was re-rendered and changed some in 2009 prior to it's 3D re-release and the Blurays.

As I understand it even in 2003 Pixar was still generally 1600/900 resolution, but far more complicated data within that resolution. By the
time TS3 and the last 5-6 yrs some of the detailed animation has ramped up exponentially

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
YIKES.

That cover artwork for the Toy Story films is...well, bad. Even the steelbooks are pretty bland, other than their interior.

Why is it that every time these films get released, it seems like the cover artwork gets worse?

Unless/until I actually go 4K, I'll stick with the existing Blu-rays that I already have.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Has Willow been out long enough to determine if its ever going to be enrollment eligible? Or does it appear that the "no Star Wars" rule really is a "no Lucasfilm" rule when it comes to enrollment?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Has Willow been out long enough to determine if its ever going to be enrollment eligible? Or does it appear that the "no Star Wars" rule really is a "no Lucasfilm" rule when it comes to enrollment?

Yes -- passed the 90 day mark a couple weeks ago and it's still not eligible so I guess that's going to be a Lucasfilm issue at least for a while The SW don't surprise me, but I'm a bit surprised that Willow is going to excluded too.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm considering joining. Does the club include any 4K UHD titles or are they DVD/Blu-ray only? I'm not seeing anything in 4K when I browse their catalog as a non-member.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I don't believe 4K is available for the initial enrollment, but they are eligible as the commitment purchases.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm considering joining. Does the club include any 4K UHD titles or are they DVD/Blu-ray only? I'm not seeing anything in 4K when I browse their catalog as a non-member.

They have all formats, but 4K titles (like 3D) are NOT eligible for the initial sign up package/order.
All 24 current 4L releases and 6 of the 7 preorders (Cinderella Live isn't up yet).
Regular 4k are $34.95 each, but DMC isn't really effectively used to buy single titles -- it best when you can do groups and use the "Buy 1 at Regular Price, Get all the rest at 50 or 60% off"

I;ve written some simple basics several times in the thread, but I strongly suggest reading the 1st couple posts of the big Bluray.com thread several times. the FAQ there is pretty complete. Absolutely the key thing up front to sign up with the premium promo codes which are listed there though I think they're here in this thread.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

I'm happy to fill in any gaps or clarify things if I can.

This is pretty much a google doc of the whole BD/4K catalog and some basic details
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15QSRYAAgQY9H2Jh3UkWMty_55kzpXyrBhE3Uj5jZkXg/edit?usp=sharing

The 2 premium promo sign-up codes currently are
BASICS
1) 5 titles for $1 with 3 required items $19.95 or more (with no customer discounts) over 24 months.
2) Optional Bonus Pick 1 for $11.95 counts as commitment #1 so only 2 full priced items
3) optional Bonus Pick 2 for $8.95 -- not a commitment

-----> Promo Code 61749 with FREE SHIPPING on the ENTIRETY of the membership, and comes with a blanket featuring Coco! [Fall 2018]
-----> Promo Code 55218 with FREE SHIPPING on the ENTIRETY of the membership, and comes with a blanket featuring Jack Jack from Incredibles 2! [Jan. 2019]

Unlike some old LP clubs, these are full retail packages -- same discs, same digital codes, Reward Zone points (a full cycle enrollment get worth enough points to get many of the movie via DNR). Like any online source, Slipcovers aren't guaranteed though newer items usually have them.
Sales Tax collected in 30-35 states now though the Free Shipping codes (started about 7-8 months ago) more than makes up for it. Packaging is probably better than Amazon most of the time these days. Shipping speed at best is slow.
Customer Service Reps are industry best IMO

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I got a Free Standard Shipping notification overnight through June 17, 2019. That's good for me since I have a list of 73 currently released titles I want to order...

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I got a Free Standard Shipping notification overnight through June 17, 2019. That's good for me since I have a list of 73 currently released titles I want to order...

The std monthly offer this month includes FS (50% for VIP and 40% for members still with commitment to buy). FS for non-VIP was pretty rare until these 2 new codes appeared.

That would be an impressive order for sure although I would suggest never making an order more than 5 without a 60% offer (and hopefully 60% and FS).

More seriously if there are at least 8 items that are enrollment eligible there is no %off/FS combination that's cheaper (or even close) than doing a new enrollment. I know folks that have done 8-9 enroll/cancel/re-enroll to get that many titles
Or do one new enrollment -- clear 8 or 9 items for $60-70, lock in the permanent FS, and new VIP members are given an extra one time use B1G60% off discount as a reward. Always save the cheapest 2 items (19.95/21.95/24.95) to use as your commitment purchase if you have spare items

There at least 2 people i know that are doing that just to be able to get 20+ 4K titles in a single order since those will likely never be enrollment eligible.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The std monthly offer this month includes FS (50% for VIP and 40% for members still with commitment to buy). FS for non-VIP was pretty rare until these 2 new codes appeared.

That would be an impressive order for sure although I would suggest never making an order more than 5 without a 60% offer (and hopefully 60% and FS).

More seriously if there are at least 8 items that are enrollment eligible there is no %off/FS combination that's cheaper (or even close) than doing a new enrollment. I know folks that have done 8-9 enroll/cancel/re-enroll to get that many titles
Or do one new enrollment -- clear 8 or 9 items for $60-70, lock in the permanent FS, and new VIP members are given an extra one time use B1G60% off discount as a reward. Always save the cheapest 2 items (19.95/21.95/24.95) to use as your commitment purchase if you have spare items

There at least 2 people i know that are doing that just to be able to get 20+ 4K titles in a single order since those will likely never be enrollment eligible.

Oh for sure. :) The 73 are things I want which fall under the Disney banner...I can find a lot of them at regular retail for the same price if not a touch below with a well placed discount or cash back offer. Even if I went with all 73...there's no way in the world I could support that with my paycheck.

You have no idea how much I appreciate all you do with the DMC, David. A treasure trove of information every time I see your name pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks