1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Message #681 of 724 Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

It's been an enrollment pick forever, but it disappeared from the Bonus title short list recently and I'm not seeing it on the enrollment site now. The Digital copy was a code based copy (not XML disc) so it should be a HD redemption eligible for Movies Anywhere..

I think there was some speculation that they might reissue it with a new cover possibly when Mary Poppins Returns is released. They possibly could drop the DVD like they've done with many older titles lately, though most of those added a digital and dropped the DVD

2. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    NO Not me. Treasure Island is the only Disney club title I own. I bought it on Ebay a few years ago. More live action classics Please !

Jack K likes this.
  3. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    There's quite a few on there, ranging from The Love Bug to Swiss Family Robinson, Polyanna, Old Yeller, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, etc.

B-ROLL, MatthewA and Jack K like this.
  4. Message #684 of 724 Jan 17, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Now you know why I don't give the company money directly anymore. It's more than just the cutting/censorship of a handful of decades-old movies; that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It's also this apparent apathy to what consumers want. It's seeing park cast members living out of their cars. It's the megalomania inherent in each new acquisition. It's the insistence on doing nothing with your core film division but trying to top pigs with pigs, Artemis Fowl notwithstanding. It's letting huge chunks of the library languish in oblivion out of executive ignorance or apathy at best or outright contempt at worst when they used to be easier to see on The Disney Channel. It's seeing Pixar tainted by scandal and seeing the man who caused it getting nothing more than a glorified slap on the wrist and a brand new job for it. It's trying to pass smudgy and smeary transfers off as "restorations".

It's bad enough that they think The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag is more worthy of being available via retail sell-through than Old Yeller. It wouldn't be as bad if they could get the execution of this particular plan right in the first place.

If they were smart, they would not only renew the Fox-Twilight Time deal, but expand it for some Disney titles. Would anyone who wanted Never Cry Wolf complain if they did it instead of Criterion if they could do it more justice than Disney themselves could?

5. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    What a superb summation of my problems with Disney!

holtge, Darby67 and MatthewA like this.
  6. Message #686 of 724 Jan 17, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Thank you, but it doesn't bring me any joy in saying so.

Meanwhile, Glynis Johns' other Disney movies are MIA on Blu-ray.

7. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Stunt Coordinator

Dan Shane
    Thank you for injecting a mention of the radiant Miss Johns into this thread. Just seeing her name always projects an image of sweetness mixed with tough-cookie moxie onto my cerebral cortex. Disney has woefully neglected her on BD, but at least we have THE SUNDOWNERS.

8. Message #688 of 724 Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well, I couldn't help but notice that neither The Sword and the Rose nor The Ref have made the jump to BD yet; the latter is most likely to end up with Kino Lorber*. None of Disney's 1950s English films other than Treasure Island have BDs yet, including Disney's 1952 live-action Technicolor The Story of Robin Hood. I wonder whether the studios plan to make their streaming services their main mode of content delivery someday, that they want it to eventually take the place of physical media and actually going out to the movies.

It's funny in a way. At first, Disney was reluctant to release first-string titles to video because they didn't want to dilute the brand. Now, it seems like they think those are all anyone wants. And even those don't get advertised like they used to; The Little Mermaid and The Lion King are both coming to 4k and you'd think they'd want as many people to know about it as possible. Nope. I don't see ad campaigns for it. But when so many movies are still unavailable on Blu-ray or only have substandard/compromised releases, one wonders whether they're trying to kill it on purpose to make the "death" of physical media into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

*Except that Kevin Spacey is also in it. See also: A Bug's Life. Even though an animated film only uses their voices, animators draw on physical personalities to help create characters. Lose that and you also lose Phyllis Diller along with Roddy McDowall's last screen performance.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    Here's a summary of my experiences in one year of buying from DMC.

I signed up 5 times in 2018. I spent a total of $453.95 for 51 movies, averaging $8.90. (Although, you could up that number of movies to 56, depending on how you want to count some of the 2-packs.)

Using points from those movies, I got 6 more from Disney Movie Rewards. In most of those cases, I opted to use fewer points and pay for shipping. That brings my average to $8.35.

In all cases, I had the deal of 5/$1 plus $11.95 for the first commitment, with the option of a $8.95 movie. I would order both commitments at the same time to get cheaper shipping ($3.95 first item + $1.49 each additional).

Enrollment #1 - I took the $8.95 option, and then got two $21.95 movies for the commitments. 9 movies, $7.92 average.

Enrollment #2 - Took the $8.95 option, and used the commitments for Thor 3 and Star Wars 8. 9 movies, $9.14 average.

Enrollment #3 - Took the $8.95 option, and used commitments for Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time. Took advantage of the VIP 60% off offer to get a few non-enrollment movies that came with digital copies. Used Infinity War as the full priced item. 13 movies, $11.44 average.

Enrollment #4 - Took the $8.95 option, and used commitments for Solo and Hocus Pocus/Nightmare Before Christmas 2-pack. 10 movies, average $7.97. I did have to pay the full $3.95 shipping for the two-pack. Originally, I had ordered Incredibles 2, thinking it was coming out on blu-ray first. I was going to cancel that and replace it with Ant-Man and the Wasp, but then saw the Halloween offer on the site.

Enrollment #5 - Declined the $8.95 option. Commitments were Ant-Man/Wasp and Incredibles 2. Got the free shipping offer on this cycle. 8 movies, $7.87 average.

By the last enrollment cycle, I determined that the $8.95 option was not helping me anymore, as it was not only increasing my average per movie, but also limiting my options for enrollment titles in future orders.

Overall, DMC has been an excellent deal for me. I was planning on buying all of the new releases anyway, and probably would have paid similar prices elsewhere. In hindsight, I feel silly for paying so much for some of the Disney movies I bought my wife and kids prior to 2018.

I know I won't be able to keep up with this pace in the future. For one thing, the pool of movies to select from only gets smaller each time. Also, the new releases are a little scarce in the early part of the year. I've already pre-ordered Ralph 2, but the second commitment will likely be Captain Marvel, and that doesn't come out in theaters for another month.

10. Message #690 of 724 Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

5 in a year is pretty aggressive. I actually did a quit/rejoin this week to get in on the new FS offer with the Jack-Jack Blanket and last night literally I was looking at my history with DMC. Not counting some sort of deal in 2003 where I got 10 or 15 of the Treasure Tin Sets for $20-25ea, I have joined 9 times since 2008 - twice in 2008 in the DVD Club and 7 times since 2010 in the DMC Bluray Club variant. I'm betting I've easily bought 200-300 items from them in the last decade

For those that think DMC might frown on this like a lot of other Intro Promos -- not only don't they forbid it, they actually seem to encourage this cycling. More than once I've received an email or letter suggesting I can quit and re-enroll with a new Promo code, anytime you quit they literally remind you that you can signup again at any time with a new introductory offer, and if you don't they'll seen a letter a few weeks later with a New Offer -- that where a lot of these promo codes come from and they're not Address or email locked offers.

My problem is literally lack of non 4K items left to purchase on Bluray which aren't enrollment eligible. Yesterday, I went back to some Exclusive DVDs I haven't considered in a long time figuring these may not ever make BD at all -- Polly, Polly Comin' Home, Doug's 1st Movie, So Dear to My Heart (can't believe I didn't already have this), Weekenders S1 and S2, and I got an extra copy of 101 Dalmatians Bluray for a gift since the Diamond Edition is vaulted at least for a while. DuckTales S4 and another 19.95 Exclusive (haven't quite decided which) will be my required purchases.

For those looking at at new enrollment the best current Promo Codes for signup in the US

61749 --
    Initial 5 for $1
    Bonus #1 - $11.95 count as 1st required purchase so 2 more left over 24 months ($19.95+ regular price)
    Bonus #2 -- $8.95 doesn't count as a commitment
    COCO Blanket
    Free Shipping not only on initial purchase, but on all purchases going forward

52218 or 52219 -- same offer apparently including permanent Free Shipping except an Incredibles 2/Jack-Jack Blanket

Sales Tax has been required for 30+ states since Oct or Nov.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
  12. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    Yeah, looking back, I probably should have handled my first two cycles differently. I got a little excited, and squeezed in an extra cycle when I realized that the movies I wanted to preorder as commitments were still far enough away.

This year, there are fewer new Disney movies that I want to get as soon as they come out. If I limit commitments to new releases, it's possible that my current membership which started in February won't be fulfilled until Captain Marvel comes out on disc (probably in June). There's several recent movies that I'm willing to wait to be enrollment eligible. On top of that, I don't know if I'll be getting any Signature titles anytime soon. I got the old edition of Little Mermaid from DMR, and then got the digital version with Microsoft credit last week. If they release Aladdin to go along with the live action movie, I don't need that, because the Diamond Edition (with digital code) showed up on DMR the other day, and I ordered that.

My wife showed an interest in Willow, so I'll probably buy that at some point during the year. I guess we can only wait and see if it will be enrollment eligible. I know Star Wars movies aren't, but I believe this is the first Lucasfilm movie outside of Star Wars to get a Disney release.

Gary16 likes this.
  13. Gerald Edward

Gerald Edward Auditioning

Gerald Edward
    Weird situation with the tracking!

Ive placed a number of orders, I noticed one order came ahead of a couple others. I checked the tracking and the 2 orders that havent arrived yet show an error message but the latest order (from a week ago) and the delivered orders all have tracking that works.

should I be concerned? :)

14. David Norman

David Norman Producer

DMC tracking can be odd and deliveries certainly can be slow, but usually packages arrive within 7-10 days.

Do you actually have the tracking number or is the error message coming when you click the "Track Package" button on DMC Order page?

If you are getting the error message on the OSM or USPS site with the actual tracking number then I'd call DMC adn have them look into the issue. If you haven't gotten the true tracking number then I'd suggest one of two ways -- DMC chat/call or you should be able to get it yourself from the DMC Order page.

On a Windows PC
    1. Right-click while on that DMC Order Page over the "Track Order" page & click 'View page source'
    2. In the new window, type Ctrl F
    3. Type trackingid in the search box and hit enter
    4. If a tracking number exists, it'll highlight it.
    5. If it's an OSM number, check the tracking at the OSM Website Here OSM starts with A......
    6. If it's a USPS number, check the tracking at the USPS Website Here USPS starts with 9......

15. Gerald Edward

Gerald Edward
    thank you for the response!

here is a screen shot from disneys page. nothing loads for those two shipments. all the other shipments loads no problem. :)

Attached Files:

16. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The site occasioanlly (mine goes away 1-2 times per month) seems to drop order history though usually it comes back the next day
    Often signing up with a different browser or completely clearing the cache/cookies an signing in clean, the order history returns.

I'm not sure why it intermiitent goes away but I've seen this for a couple years and it's always come back fully loaded.

If not, calling or chatting with DMC should at least be able to get you the tracking numbers

Gerald Edward likes this.
  17. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Did this ever correct itself or did you find a solution?

Also at the risk of stirring the hornet's nest again -- the releases that are instead of what's not. The Goofy Movie and Extremely Goofy Movie Blurays released today,

DMC also now has Captain America 2 and 3 4KUHD for order.

Current Featured Titles through 5/20 -- Captain Marvel 29.99 or CM or add Black Panther 4K for $44 total

Next Month's FT (opens 5/21) appears like it will be Cinderella Signature Release. The Double Feature Alternative could be Cind + Cinderella 2/3 BD or possibly Cinderella + Cinderella (2015) 4K if the Live Action release is confirmed for 6/25. Most likely the former though TLM Signature didn't pair with the sequels like I expected.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Gerald Edward

Gerald Edward
    they came in the mail, the site never fixed itself. its weird, they came way after some other orders. :) but they came so now I know not to worry the next time that happened!

19. Karen Oneil

Karen Oneil Auditioning

Karen Oneil
    Hiya! I did a google search and I found this forum!

I have a weird situation! I signed up with a referral, ordered my 7 movies and had 3 more to buy in the next 2 years. I changed my address and ordered one of those 3 and sent it directly to my folks as a present. My folks have an account and disney did not like 2 accounts at one address so they closed my account!

I received my 7 initial movies. am I free in the clear to keep them, or do I need to return them because I didnt/cant keep my 3 movie commitment? I tried asking them but im not getting a clear answer. Im hoping someone here has had a similar experience.

the last thing I want is a bill for 7 full priced movies in a month or two!

20. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    I would start off by calling the Disney Movie Club Customer Relations number, (800) 723-4763. Be prepared to negotiate the menus but I have had issues resolved quite nicely using this line.

Oh and let me be the first to welcome you to the Home Theater Forum. You'll find this place quite helpful & useful.

holtge and JohnMor like this.