What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Disney 100 Years Anniversary Editions (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does anyone have information regarding the 100th Anniversary series re-issue of SWORD IN THE STONE?

I don't have that disc specifically, but I don't see any reason to believe it has been changed at all. The only one of these Disney 100-branded releases that has been confirmed to have new discs is the 4K release of Cinderella. That had to have a new disc because it had never been released on the format before. All of the rest of these so far have just been new slipcovers over the existing releases. I posted pictures earlier in the thread showing the new covers sliding over the existing releases including the existing cover art. So they aren't changing anything.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Does anyone have information regarding the 100th Anniversary series re-issue of SWORD IN THE STONE? Has the studio enough balls to go back and release it sans the horrifying DNR smear of the earlier edition? It apparently won't have a 4K release (yet), but, as long as it looks as it did last time around, nor should it.

I don’t have the disc myself, but I’ve seen reports over on the other forum indicating that it is unfortunately the same horribly DNR’d transfer as the previous Blu-ray, which is really unfortunate considering how good the digital transfer on Disney Plus is.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it is unfortunately the same horribly DNR’d transfer as the previous Blu-ray

That is most likely because it isn't a new Blu-ray at all.

With the exception of the 4K Cinderella, these are just new slipcovers on the existing releases. For example:

s-l1600.jpg

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
That is most likely because it isn't a new Blu-ray at all.

With the exception of the 4K Cinderella, these are just new slipcovers on the existing releases. For example:

View attachment 189602

While this seems to be for the most part true, we’ll have to wait and see what happens when they get to Snow White, which was confirmed to be undergoing a new restoration by the same team responsible for Cinderella’s restoration a few weeks ago.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
we’ll have to wait and see what happens when they get to Snow White, which was confirmed to be undergoing a new restoration

I think Snow White will be the second exception. The Digital Bits reported a while ago that it will be getting a 4K release, which necessitates a new transfer because it has never been released in that format before.

None of the other releases have had new transfers because they already exist on the format and Disney is just using the corporate anniversary as an excuse to sell a few more copies of old stock. But since Snow White is getting a format upgrade, that should be new.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Best Buy posted artwork for the new editions of The Little Mermaid and Genie (uh, I mean, Aladdin.)

Little Mermaid Disney100.jpeg

Aladdin Disney100.jpeg

Oddly. the interior of The Little Mermaid steelbook is just the front cover image from the 2013 Diamond Edition release blown up to steelbook size. But the disc inside will be the 2019 Signature Collection release.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Compare those covers to the original 4K steelbooks for each of these films from 2019 and the difference in quality is unbelievable. The discs are the same, but everything about the original cases is superior.

The Little Mermaid steelbook.png

OIP._rKeUghtP3-snEFNeXGBkgAAAA.jpeg

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Great to see the Mickey and Friends releases. Hope Donald and Goofy aren't far behind.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cinderella is also getting a 4k Ultimate restoration on Disney+

So essentially Disney is going to replace the version currently available on Disney+ with the new restoration from the 4K disc release. That makes sense.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
If true, and the source can be quite questionable, this is great news

While I’m not familiar with the source, there’s a good chance it might be true. An article about Cinderella’s restoration included a passage near the end concerning what else the restoration team would like to tackle and this, Sleeping Beauty, and Alice in Wonderland were mentioned specifically. So if this and the above-mentioned passage (the article is included below) is accurate, we might have Sleeping Beauty afterwards.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
While I’m not familiar with the source, there’s a good chance it might be true. An article about Cinderella’s restoration included a passage near the end concerning what else would like to tackle and this, Sleeping Beauty, and Alice in Wonderland were mentioned specifically. So if this and the above-mentioned passage (the article is included below) is accurate, we might have Sleeping Beauty afterwards.

Sleeping Beauty should be at the top of that list, as a Technirama 35/8 SEN.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I imagine that Fantasia is a title that would be up toward the top of the list, but I also imagine that we won't get a version that includes the scenes they've previously taken out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I imagine that Fantasia is a title that would be up toward the top of the list, but I also imagine that we won't get a version that includes the scenes they've previously taken out.
A lot of the deleted material was done by zooming and cropping to remove stereotypical portrayals of a black centaurette, which in 4K will look VERY grainy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Walt himself approved that alteration and his vision for Fantasia specifically was that it would evolve and change to fit the times - he wanted it to be work that transcended time instead of it being work of a specific time. As such, I have no issues with the alteration. The removed footage is so dated and inappropriate by the standards of at least the past half century that I genuinely believe its inclusion would only have the effect of taking the audience out of the picture. It’s one thing to watch and see a grainy shot and know something is missing and it’s another thing to actually see what’s missing while trying to watch the movie as entertainment (vs as an academic exercise).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Walt himself approved that alteration and his vision for Fantasia specifically was that it would evolve and change to fit the times - he wanted it to be work that transcended time instead of it being work of a specific time. As such, I have no issues with the alteration. The removed footage is so dated and inappropriate by the standards of at least the past half century that I genuinely believe its inclusion would only have the effect of taking the audience out of the picture. It’s one thing to watch and see a grainy shot and know something is missing and it’s another thing to actually see what’s missing while trying to watch the movie as entertainment (vs as an academic exercise).
The material is also not essential to the plotline, such as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks