What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Disney 100 Years Anniversary Editions (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
For sake of argument here: the Mary Poppins brand (for lack of a better term) has been represented in theaters twice in the last decade. They did well enough but neither of them exactly set the box office on fire.

Saving Mr. Banks (2013) grossed $114 million worldwide.

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) grossed $348 million worldwide.

Those movies were both in pre-COVID times before the theatrical window was drastically shrunk and before Disney+ existed. A re-release of the first film which is widely available on both physical media and streaming would make less than either of those. Re-releases are just not something Disney is invested in anymore.

I would enjoy seeing Mary Poppins in a movie theater and would love to be wrong. I've only ever seen the original at home. But if you look at the numbers, Disney's current business strategies, and the dramatic shift that has happened in the last few years in the theatrical marketplace, it just doesn't seem realistic.

It is more likely that they may do some limited screenings at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, which Disney owns and operates themselves. They do occasionally host event screenings there. But that would only be for people who live in Hollywood or are planning to visit there whenever the screenings take place.

Anyway, Mary Poppins is not currently part of the Disney 100 Blu-ray line which this thread is about, so this is a bit of a deviation. Right now, we have Disney putting new slipcovers or steelbooks around old re-releases to make a few extra dollars off of people still collecting physical media. That's what this promotion is.

Agreed. Much as I would like to see theatrical reissues of the Disney classics, I can’t see doing it outside an occasional screening at the El Capitan. Even without taking into account the pandemic, home video, and by extension streaming, have pretty killed off the financial potential of theatrical re-releases. And the few times the studio has done something wider than the El Capitan, the film usually has some sort of gimmick added such as the 3D reissue of Lion King over a decade ago and the IMAX reissues of that and BATB two decades ago. I think the last wide theatrical reissue Disney did where the film was left as is was Little Mermaid in 1997, and that was primarily done to give Anastasia (a film ironically now owned by the studio) some competition.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If that means the DMC exclusive window is 4 months, that's a big lead.

Digital Bits has confirmed this today:

Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits said:
Now then, we’ve confirmed with Disney that the wide-release version of their Cinderella (1950) 4K Ultra HD release is coming on 8/1. And we have the official cover artwork for you, which you can see at left and also below the break. But again, this title will be available first from the Disney Movie Club starting on 3/28.

331993854_1254741542053836_2479438778200190224_n.jpg

If I recall correctly, the core art posted in the Movie Club thread indicated they would be including a DVD. The wide release cover art does not have that. So it looks like the DMC exclusive will throw in a DVD copy (making that a 3-disc set) and the fact that you can get it 4 months early.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure I would immediately leap from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is coming" to "Mary Poppins is coming." But certainly this demonstrates that Disney is now open to releasing older films on 4K and Cinderella is not a one off. So that is a good thing.

It is also worth noting that the live-action remake of Snow With with Rachel Zegler is currently scheduled to be released in March 2024, so putting the animated version out on 4K gets some additional attention for the property before the release of that film.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Might be hope for Mary Poppins? In time for it's 60th and Ms Andrews still able for PR? By the way GREAT poster art! Has Disney ever used the original RKO opening??

The RKO logo was only featured at the end of the film in its original release. However, the studio was mentioned in the original credits. Both of these were replaced when Buena Vista took over distribution beginning with the 1958 reissue, but were restored for the Blu-ray.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I'm not sure I would immediately leap from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is coming" to "Mary Poppins is coming." But certainly this demonstrates that Disney is now open to releasing older films on 4K and Cinderella is not a one off. So that is a good thing.

It is also worth noting that the live-action remake of Snow With with Rachel Zegler is currently scheduled to be released in March 2024, so putting the animated version out on 4K gets some additional attention for the property before the release of that film.

You make a very good point about assuming one film leading to x film. I do have to say I’m surprised they didn’t do Snow White first, though the fact that Cinderella had such a poor Blu-ray may have expedited it (early reactions I’ve seen indicate all those issues have been fixed and that there’s apparently a healthy amount of grain in the new transfer). I also wonder if Snow White will use a color timing closer to original 1937-38 prints, which leaned towards sepia.

As far as other potential vintage Disney films on 4K, I think Sleeping Beauty would really benefit from 4K due to its large format origins. On the other hand, that might also make it a bit cost prohibitive.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Simple Poppins is still their biggest hit up to 1964 and its 60th is coming fast

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Was that at BFI Southbank?
I saw Poppins in 2013 at the Vue multiplex at Westfield. It was re-released across the UK and may have played at the BFI Southbank. If it did, I'm sure it had a much bigger audience!

As the film was ending, a few ushers came in and I overheard one of them say, "So, she just flies away on her umbrella?"

Clearly hadn't seen the film before. 😂

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I find it amusing that a company that made over six billion at the box office last year is celebrating the centenary of their studio with repackaging decade-old discs.

Count me in for Cinderella on UHD if it's properly done (like the gorgeous Dolby Vision 4K masters of The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron on Disney Plus).
Disneys willingness to put lipstick on old subpare existing titles shows the Laziness of that studio and thier LACK of Pride and LACK of sence of the company's History. Shame on You Disney!!

Now, look at how Warner Bros is celebrating their 100th Anniversary. with amazing restored classic films for thier customers!!!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Now, look at how Warner Bros is celebrating their 100th Anniversary. with amazing restored classic films for thier customers!!!
To be fair, Warner Bros is also releasing a bunch of 100th Anniversary box sets that are essentially repackaged versions of the exact same discs that have been on the market for years now, and a considerable number of the titles in those box sets aren't actually Warner Bros. movies (RKO, MGM, New Line, etc. are heavily featured).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
To be fair, Warner Bros is also releasing a bunch of 100th Anniversary box sets that are essentially repackaged versions of the exact same discs that have been on the market for years now, and a considerable number of the titles in those box sets aren't actually Warner Bros. movies (RKO, MGM, New Line, etc. are heavily featured).

Acquired titles shouldn't be included in any studios legacy. Both Disney and WB have 100 years worth of their own produced titles alone that they don't need to included any acquired libraries to meet a quota.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Acquired titles shouldn't be included in any studios legacy. Both Disney and WB have 100 years worth of their own produced titles alone that they don't need to included any acquired libraries to meet a quota.

I can see the point, but a counterpoint is that, other than cinephiles, few people have any idea of which studios produced what films. As far as most people are concerned, The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind are Warner films (if they even have any idea that they're owned by Warner these days).

Hell, my wife lives with a cinephile, and she doesn't keep such info in her head.

Well...actually...since she happened to be sitting on the other side of the room, I asked. She actually knew that MGM made Oz and Wind, but she agreed that she wouldn't be able to answer correctly for less well-known films.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I can see the point, but a counterpoint is that, other than cinephiles, few people have any idea of which studios produced what films. As far as most people are concerned, The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind are Warner films (if they even have any idea that they're owned by Warner these days).

Hell, my wife lives with a cinephile, and she doesn't keep such info in her head.

Well...actually...since she happened to be sitting on the other side of the room, I asked. She actually knew that MGM made Oz and Wind, but she agreed that she wouldn't be able to answer correctly for less well-known films
WB has made it clear they've owned Oz and Wind since they acquired them in 1998. If they could they'd most likely remove the iconic MGM Leo roar and replace it with their shield instead.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
WB has made it clear they've owned Oz and Wind since they acquired them in 1998. If they could they'd most likely remove the iconic MGM Leo roar and replace it with their shield instead.
Double edged sword here MGM was ruined by Kerkorian and they were getting ready to dump films in the ocean till Eastman House stepped in then Turner saved the films for his plans NOW WB's is taking very good care of the films I thank them for that - just imagine if bezos got them with his now owning MGM would they be ever on video again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks