Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB?

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Oh for sure. :) The 73 are things I want which fall under the Disney banner...I can find a lot of them at regular retail for the same price if not a touch below with a well placed discount or cash back offer. Even if I went with all 73...there's no way in the world I could support that with my paycheck.

You have no idea how much I appreciate all you do with the DMC, David. A treasure trove of information every time I see your name pop up.
Happy to help.

As big a booster as I am, there are certain items that just make little sense to buy through DMC. So many of the non classic/non animated films are sub $10 pretty regularly many are WM and BBY $5-7 bins that even with 60% off they're easier and cheaper just to buy in store. There are around 500 Blurays in DMC, but probably only a 100-150 non exclusives that are really prime deals.

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
With all the people recently taking advantage of the “free shipping for life” offer either by re-enrolling or doing it by special request, my question is this. Will the monthly offers still be the same? For me they are either 50% off or 60% off (excluding first selection). I’m wondering if the free shipping enrollments get the same deals or is the % off is lower for them?

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Has there been any word on people getting free shipping added to the account via the online chat, or do I have to do it by a phone call?

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
With all the people recently taking advantage of the “free shipping for life” offer either by re-enrolling or doing it by special request, my question is this. Will the monthly offers still be the same? For me they are either 50% off or 60% off (excluding first selection). I’m wondering if the free shipping enrollments get the same deals or is the % off is lower for them?
So far the offers have been the same though I guess since it's only been around 6 months since the first person joined and became VIP it's hard to be sure. Last month I had a B1G60% off deal instead of the lower non-VIP deal.

Several folks wondered that in the first few months of the new offer, but so far so good. As always the first couple cycles after making VIP cna be a bit unpredictable at what point will the VIP offer be automatically part of your packet

Has there been any word on people getting free shipping added to the account via the online chat, or do I have to do it by a phone call?
I'm pretty people have gotten it both ways. Overall I do seem to find the phone people are a bit more aggressive with giving 'extras'

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
So far the offers have been the same though I guess since it's only been around 6 months since the first person joined and became VIP it's hard to be sure. Last month I had a B1G60% off deal instead of the lower non-VIP deal.

Several folks wondered that in the first few months of the new offer, but so far so good. As always the first couple cycles after making VIP cna be a bit unpredictable at what point will the VIP offer be automatically part of your packet

I'm pretty people have gotten it both ways. Overall I do seem to find the phone people are a bit more aggressive with giving 'extras'
Just to be clear, I know you lose your VIP status if you re-enroll, but do you also lose it if you request your account be upgraded to free-shipping over the phone? I don't want to have to start back at zero just to get permanent free shipping.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Isn’t VIP status merely a function of having purchased all of your commitment required titles? If you’ve already done that, I don’t see how adding free shipping would change that.

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I know you lose your VIP status if you re-enroll, but do you also lose it if you request your account be upgraded to free-shipping over the phone? I don't want to have to start back at zero just to get permanent free shipping.
I'm 99% sure you don't lose anything with just the upgraded shipping. Again this is so new ( 2 weeks or less) it's possible it just hasn't been seen yet. OTOH, if they take away anything, folks will just cancel and re-enroll then so it seems it would defeat the purpose assuming that is just to keep current members from cancelling/re-enrolling (or taking the chance they won't re-enroll)

Isn’t VIP status merely a function of having purchased all of your commitment required titles? If you’ve already done that, I don’t see how adding free shipping would change that.
Correct. A few perks (some extra swag offers, a few extra 'deals') though biggest one is usually better % off offers -- usually 10 cycles a year with B1 50% off (5 with FS and 5 without in the old codes) and 5 with 60% off vs nonVIP who get ten 40% and approx 5 50-% offers through the year.

I've heard people use Full Member and Interim, but that's even more confusing since it's not DMC terminology.

benbess

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben
They have all formats, but 4K titles (like 3D) are NOT eligible for the initial sign up package/order.
All 24 current 4L releases and 6 of the 7 preorders (Cinderella Live isn't up yet).
Regular 4k are $34.95 each, but DMC isn't really effectively used to buy single titles -- it best when you can do groups and use the "Buy 1 at Regular Price, Get all the rest at 50 or 60% off"

I;ve written some simple basics several times in the thread, but I strongly suggest reading the 1st couple posts of the big Bluray.com thread several times. the FAQ there is pretty complete. Absolutely the key thing up front to sign up with the premium promo codes which are listed there though I think they're here in this thread.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

I'm happy to fill in any gaps or clarify things if I can.

This is pretty much a google doc of the whole BD/4K catalog and some basic details
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15QSRYAAgQY9H2Jh3UkWMty_55kzpXyrBhE3Uj5jZkXg/edit?usp=sharing

The 2 premium promo sign-up codes currently are
BASICS
1) 5 titles for $1 with 3 required items $19.95 or more (with no customer discounts) over 24 months.
2) Optional Bonus Pick 1 for $11.95 counts as commitment #1 so only 2 full priced items
3) optional Bonus Pick 2 for $8.95 -- not a commitment

-----> Promo Code 61749 with FREE SHIPPING on the ENTIRETY of the membership, and comes with a blanket featuring Coco! [Fall 2018]
-----> Promo Code 55218 with FREE SHIPPING on the ENTIRETY of the membership, and comes with a blanket featuring Jack Jack from Incredibles 2! [Jan. 2019]

Unlike some old LP clubs, these are full retail packages -- same discs, same digital codes, Reward Zone points (a full cycle enrollment get worth enough points to get many of the movie via DNR). Like any online source, Slipcovers aren't guaranteed though newer items usually have them.
Sales Tax collected in 30-35 states now though the Free Shipping codes (started about 7-8 months ago) more than makes up for it. Packaging is probably better than Amazon most of the time these days. Shipping speed at best is slow.
Customer Service Reps are industry best IMO

Joined! Many thanks.

benbess

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben
Here's what I ordered. Looking forward to seeing Fun and Fancy Free etc. for the first time since VHS: Moana, Pocahonas + II, Saludos/Caballeros, Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmatians animated, and Mary Poppins Returns. Then for my first order I went ahead and got Icabod/Fancy Free, Treasure Island 1950 (have seen this one since I was a little kid!), and the 1967 Jungle Book.

What are the chances for Melody Time to make it to blu-ray? Call me crazy, but I really like that one, which I also haven't seen since I sold my vhs tapes almost 20 years ago.

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
I would have said slim until Saludos Amigos showed up last year, now I'm convinced it's going to happen at some point.
I also think Black Cauldron will eventually show up on disc just so Disney can say it completed the entire Animated Canon list.

Reactions: holtge and benbess

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Hmm.
I forgot to cancel Ralph in March, then immediately sent it back and it’s been marked as returned and I think that one would have put me at 2 more needed to buy to finish my commitment but it still says I only need 1 more.
Doesn’t look like it updated after it was returned.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
RICK
No ! What for ? I ordered my copy of 20,000 Leagues ! $30. Total ! : ) Ebay (Private seller) I'm Happy ! : )

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Going to try a different question and hope it goes well. Specifically aimed at those that don't want to or even more so won't join DMC. If this goes South, I think the mods will be shut down or delete the entire line. FWIW in case there is any doubt though I act like a cheerleader a lot of the time -- I do not work for DMC or Disney in any way nor do I even own any of their stock, I do get occasional questionnaires every couple years from DMC that I actually do fill out the suggestions and they always includes things like "is there anything we can do to improve............" A few of the more common suggestions have actually been implemented though I don't think I've ever written anything so unusual that it was obviously my doing.

Why not? Is there something that could change your mind? Again hoping this is a no fault, no wrong answer, but I'm just trying to especially understand the "Never under any circumstance"

A few answers I've heard over the years.
1) Since DMC is only US and Canada (outside Quebec), Ill give that as a default position -- can't join, no real solution

2) I only what A and B titles, I'm otherwise not interested in any Disney movies or only buy Best Buy style Exclusive-- legitimate point and hard to get around since DMC cheap deals are somewhat predicated on those first 5-7 picks making the deal worthwhile

3) I don't shop at any place that require a membership (yearly fee or other requirements) or excludes walk up or signin customers -- I guess this would include Sam's, Costco, BJ's, DMC, Columbia House (such that it is), etc Other than -- just won't buy enough to make it worth while, are there other objections and specifically with DMC where there isn't a fee.

4) Specific bad experience in the past with DMC -- would like to hear at least the basic issue. Unfortunately, I suspect this is unavoidable to have zero issues no matter how hard you try, but is there a recurring issue that could be worked on

5) Nonspecific DMC, but bad experience with other Media/Coffee-Tea/Food//Book Club (BMG, Sony/Columbia, RCA, Columbia House) -- I've been a member of so many over the past 50yrs I've long ago lost track and have my share of issues as well. I will say in their defense DMC is the easiest and most user friendly of all the clubs I've personally been involved with. OTOH, should DMC should be painted with the scarlet letter of another entity's issues or is that a non-starter response.

6) Negative Response Monthly titles requiring you to actively decline a cyclical item or it would be mailed/charged to you automatically or required you accept a certain number of items over 12/24/48 months for evaluation and trial period. I've been in some that required delivery and you had to go out of your way to send it back, but most often with Old School type mail back cards (stamp, time, and 'lost in mail' plus the usual I forgot), then automated In the last 10-12 years -- Phone Decline option showed up later followed eventually by online decline (or all three) which made this a far more tolerable issue. Columbia House allowed people who were fulfilled to turn this off, DMC does not have such an option nor does it require you ever to accept a cyclical title. Would you possibly join if there was the ability to turn off this function after fulfilling your commitment purchases or if this was an option after 6-12 months of being a Senior/VIP member? I think this is the single most common suggestion that has never been implemented.

7) Have to stay signed up for too long (24 months or equivalent) -- DMC does not have a minimum time period. Once you've bought the titles you contracted for, you can quit immediately (phone, email, or chat). Also unlike other similar 'clubs' DMC doesn't restrict you to a one time "Special enrollment package," once per address, or once every 24-36 months, There are plenty of people who have join/quit/rejoined innumerable time with a fairly short transition -- less than a few days (some even the same day)

8) Non standard items -- a lot of music and Book clubs had special releases specifically from their members which could be quite different than an off the shelf item of the same title. many time a special UPC, cheap vinyl, poorly pressed CDs. stripped down bonuses, etc. Many used item stores wouldn't even accept these for trade in.
DMC sells the same item/UPC everyone else does -- same DMR points, same Digital copy, same bonuses, never preowned or Burned Movies except for the handful of DVD-R that Disney did make for general retail sale a few years ago (Generations Line)..

9) Slow shipping -- can't argue. Preorders aren't guaranteed to arrive by release day -- true, but very/most often they do..
Expensive shipping/handling or limited free shipping offers -- now not an issue with the new US sign up codes which provide permanent FS on all Movies.

10) Too complicated -- specifically in what way.

11) Anything else -- specific or non specific to Dmc

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
I joined in August 2015 so I could buy Club exclusives, DVD and Blu. Since then I've gotten 9, all but 2 old-school (1966 and before). In all, I've bought 26 sets and paid an average of $15.83 each, exclusive of shipping, so that doesn't sound too bad. The down side is that of those 26, quite a few were marginal items that I probably wouldn't have bought had I not been a Club member but did so in order to fulfill the Club membership commitment or to achieve the minimum purchase price for free shipping. Looking back on it, the latter was probably a mistake, and I'd have been better off buying only the ones I really wanted on the open market.

20000 Leagues being my ne plus ultra, I'm tempted to quit after that, but I'll probably hang on for the off chance of Make Mine Music and Melody Time making it to exclusives. Hope springs eternal.

Reactions: benbess

benbess

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben
I'm a little confused about this separate Disney Rewards program. How does that work? Do you enter a code for each eligible thing you buy from the Club? And somehow movie tickets at the theater for Disney movies might be counted too? Since I mostly use AMC A-list I'm not sure if that would work.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I'm a little confused about this separate Disney Rewards program. How does that work? Do you enter a code for each eligible thing you buy from the Club? And somehow movie tickets at the theater for Disney movies might be counted too? Since I mostly use AMC A-list I'm not sure if that would work.
Disney Rewards is for any Disney title which includes those codes no matter where they were purchased. They have a catalog of items you can get with those points - merchandise, posters, DVD/BR (although a rather limited selection), "Gift Cards" for use at Disney Stores, coupons for concessions or movie tickets (via Atom and Fandango), and even VIP tours of Disney parks. You earn "bonus points" every month (3-5 or so) and on your birthday. There are also opportunities throughout the year to earn extra points (trivia questions, broadcasts, etc.). As long as you regularly add to your points they never expire (and those monthly bonus point emails count as regular additions).

I think you have to link Atom and/or Fandango accounts plus purchase tickets through the site from one of those accounts to get movie ticket credit. They once allowed you to just scan the ticket(s) but I don't see that option now.

It costs nothing to join and there *are* some benefits, especially if you have a large library of Disney titles. You can join without entering codes. That gives you a chance to look around a bit to decide if it's worth the effort. Those codes inside the disc cases never expire so you can go back through all your Disney titles and quickly get enough points to redeem for a DVD/BR (those are currently 350 for a "mystery DVD" to 2500 points depending on the title and format).

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Chip
What's great about Disney Movie Rewards is that occasionally they'll drop some nice blu-rays in the selection, although you have to act fast. I got the Diamond Edition for Aladdin (including a digital code) for only 1000 points a couple of months ago. That has been going for $30-40 minimum anywhere, and not available at DMC.

On the flip side, I missed out when they did the same thing with 101 Dalmatians.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha