What's new

Any update on Toshiba 50H81 availability? (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Henry;
I know Sears in the past hasn't carried the Toshibas. However I was there Saturday buying a mini shelf system and asked the salesman about their upcoming 2002 HDTVs. He told me about the Panisonic 47" and also mentioned they'll be getting in the Toshiba 50H81. He even had a spec sheet for it.
He warned me it may change, but he was hopeful about getting the Toshiba in.

David Head

Second Unit
There is a thread at the Home Theater Spot from a guy in Tampa (Brian Swan) that recieved his 50H81 last week.
Here are some pictures that someone posted of Brian's new Toshiba.
David

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
There is a thread at the Home Theater Spot from a guy in Tampa (Brian Swan) that recieved his 50H81 last week.
Here are some pictures that someone posted of Brian's new Toshiba.
David
Been there...seen that... :)
I'm still waiting for my damn local Best Buy to get them in stock....
angry.gif

------------------

Dennis_W

Grip
According to OneCall, the Toshiba 50H81 is now shipping (delivery to curb for $150 within 5 days on the west coast). They quoted a price of $2100.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
The 50H81s are trickling into Best Buy warehouses right now. When I checked last night, about 4 out of around 15-20 warehouses had received their shipment. Only 3 have been sold so far and those were "pre-orders" done weeks ago.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!
[Edited last by Cameron Seaman on July 25, 2001 at 10:33 AM]

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Yes...
I called my local Best Buy warehouse this morning and they have 23 in stock... So I went to Best Buy...
And they are still giving me a hard time... 1st of all, the manager I dealt with before wasn't there, so I had to tell the whole story to a different guy... He finally agrees to help me out, but the computer still says undeliverable, even though it is in stock. He says that he has to request ops to turn on delivery "early" since they weren't necessarily expecting them in stock until Aug 5th... Ops may or may not comply... meaning they may not be deliverable until Aug 5th!!!!!!!!!!! And then he says he can't return the other TV (see my other thread for details...) because it was purchased at another store, and he has to get them to return it... UGH!!!!!!!!!
Anyhow, I am going back at 2:00 - 2:30, when the other manager I have dealt with will be there. I am going to tell him that we ARE going to get this set up today, even if it means that he and I are renting a truck, driving down to the warehouse, and bringing it to my house. This is ridiculous!
------------------

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A quick (though not complete) acid test for the quality of 480p->540p upconversion will be to watch the smooth-scrolling end credits of some movies. See any rippling or wavering? Do the letters seem to change in size as they slide up the screen? Do lowercase letters like 'a' and 'e' seem to twinkle?
Enquiring minds want desperately to know!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Andrew, please keep us posted on the 50H81. My PT-47 is being serviced today (something wrong with progressive inputs) and if it can't be fixed, it might be going back to the store and I'll be looking for a new set.
Have you ordered (or are you planning to order) the service manual? Trust me, if you're a tweaker, you're going to want it there right when they deliver the set. The sick bastard that I am, I ordered the manual BEFORE I had my PT-47 in house!
Good luck!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't know if this helps, but the local BB (here in Rochester, NY) had a open-box 40WX81 for sale this weekend. When I asked about it, the salesguy told me it was a display model that had just returned from the factory for repairs. This was the only one of the new models they had (and as an open-box, this was missing the manual & remote). The price was $1600; $200 less than the $1800 catalog price for a new one.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
You won't f****** believe this...but I went back to Best Buy, and even though it is in stock, there is no way they can sell it to me because the computer still says "not deliverable". Not only that, but they can't help me exchange my former purchase for it because the only person intelligent enough to do this isn't in until Friday afternoon! So, I have to go back Friday afternoon, and hope that the computer problem is fixed by then. If not, I might have to wait until August 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!!
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

All I want is my damn TV! Even if they can get this figured out on Friday, I probably won't be home for delivery until Wednesday at this point... Ugh...
------------------

george king

Supporting Actor
Well, the set is now listed on the best buy web site ($2499), so maybe you will get your set soon.
Let us know how you like it.

Devin Rowe

Auditioning
I talked to my local BB and they said they didn't have the tv in yet. They also said that the 18 months no-interest financing applies to the brick and mortar stores only. So you can't buy the tv off the website and expect to get the financing thing. Just my experience.
Devin

Roy C.

Second Unit
If you go to their website (bestbuy.com) you will notice that they now show it available and with free shipping!
I hope the 57 comes out soon!
Later,
Roy C.
------------------

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Ok, I checked inventory of the warehouses tonight.
As of about 5pm EST, ALL Best Buy warehouses had received a shipment of 50H81s with the exception of the warehouses in Cleveland, Houston, and San Francisco.
As long as your local store does not use these warehouses, you should be able to order on with no problems. Even these 3 warehouses will have them in soon. Probably even tomorrow.
Andrew,
Were you trying to get the TV delivered to your house, or did you just want to pay for it and pick it up at the store when it came in later?
------------------
campic07.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I feel your pain. Hang in there!
That's what I keep telling myself with my PT-47 repair. Pretty soon I'm just going to ask for a straight replacement.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
When the salesperson @ local BB checked on the 50H81 the computer screen showed $2499 towards the top of the screen but towards the bottom of screen there was a 'lowest price' entry of $2199. What is this figure?
Takosan

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Takosan --
$2199 is the price when it's on sale. Hopefully, it will be on sale the same weekend as when Best Buy does its Labor Day coupons so we can take another 10% off.
[Edited last by Matt Goddard on July 26, 2001 at 10:49 PM]

CameronS

Supporting Actor
The "lowest price" you saw is probably not going to be the sale price.
From what I know, that price is only used when merchandise is returned. For example, if a 50H81 is returned, the clerk should look up the price, see the $2199 and take off a pre-determined percentage to sell the TV as "Open Item".
I could be wrong, but usually the sale prices are highr than the "lowest price" on the Best Buy computer.
------------------
campic07.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks