What's new

Any opinions good or bad..... (1 Viewer)

Finndog

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I know the "Bose" name doesn't due much for anyone around here, however I would like some honest opinions. I pieced together a system for around $900 trying to save money, and keep the wife happy. Anyways now that I'm done I believe my HT sounds good but really haven't had any audiophile head review it.
Looking past brand names and looking at model numbers I'm wondering if there's anything that might be out there that might do me better.

I have, a 52" JVC DLP seems o.k. seems to have a lag on the refresh rate...but great picture.

2 Bose 701 fronts that sound solidabout 7' apart

1 Bose VCS-10 center that seems fair, no complaints

2 Bose 601 series III L/R surround sides

2 Bose single cubes w/6 1/2 sub-bass mod. Accoustimass series III for rear surround

1 Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer Speaker

All hooked up with a Onkyo 605 receiver/PS3 HDMI

Everything seems great, however I'm wondering if this system could use any adjustment or tweaking to really sound best. I know my ears truly give me the answer I seek, but I haven't kept up on latest and greatest products.

Again if anyone has any suggestions, like replacing the rears, or any feedback on any of the products that may be positive or negative. I'd be open to listen. My main concern and things that I've noticed is...

52" JVC DLP has a bit of a lag on re-fresh rate during really fast action.

Side speakers are a bit big Bose 601's Could I get a better speaker that is a bit smaller? Or leave as is cause I do have the room.

Sub? Is this sub that bad I know it's a Sony... Any thoughts?

Bose single cubes for rear? I like the size other then that they are o.k. the bass mod. is really not needed, any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
intellexual net · m k i v

Bose Sues Consumer Reports - Consumer Reports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1984, Bose Corporation sued Consumer Reports for publishing a review in which Bose speakers did relatively poorly. The review stated that the stereo image of the Bose speakers was unstable and "tended to wander about the room", undermining the basic Direct/Reflecting concept behind Bose's products. The final verdict ruled that Consumer Reports had in fact libeled Bose by overstating its negative findings, which were, more precisely, that the stereo image merely "moved along the wall" behind the speakers. This was something of a Pyrrhic victory for Bose, as since then both Bose and Consumer Reports readership in demographic areas where Bose products are targeted have became bitter enemies, and the same may hold true today. Furthermore, the monetary award of $210,000 in libel damages was appealed to the Federal Supreme Court, who overturned it. Nevertheless, the case is believed to have had a chilling effect on publication of subjective preferences in reviews, both specifically by Consumer Reports as well as in the media as a whole.

'nuff said..........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a pair of Bose 601 speakers from the mid 1980's that I tried to use with a 5.1 setup many years ago. I added a Bose VCS-10 center speaker in an attempt to keep the front speakers matched in tone, and to be perfectly blunt, it sounded like a cheap $20 speaker wrapped in a burlap sack. The center speaker is very important in a surround setup (that's where all the vocals come from), and the Bose center was a piece of junk that sounded terrible.

I sold the Bose speakers to a co-worker for next to nothing (and with the appropriate warnings about the sound quality of the center speaker), and he used them for a year or so. He ended up replacing them with some nice, inexpensive Acoustic Research speakers and told me he finally understood my negative comments about the center.

The good news is that he was able to sell the Bose setup on Ebay for a nice profit over what he paid me. They do have a decent resale value, because people who do not know anything about audio think Bose is a high end speaker due to their marketing.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Brian,

Can you run Audyssey on your 605. I'm curious what the crossovers are set to with the Bose. Be sure to put the mic on a tripod and not to close to a wall (wouldn't want it to report bass that isn't really there).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That little Sony sub is a decent budget subwoofer. It's not going to bring any walls down, but, for the price, it's pretty decent. Whenever you plan to upgrade that I would look at SVS and Hsu for some great options.

I tend to agree with most of what has been said about Bose. Their larger models are better than their cubes, but there's still no getting around that tiny little center speaker.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Since he's not posted back, we've probably hurt his feelings talking against the Bose. But he asked for honest opinions...........

We've told about the Bose to let you know that you can buy so much better, for the same money, or even less. Don't feel bad that you got taken in by Bose's marketing. An awful lot of people have. An awful lot of people have also sold the Bose stuff on Craig's List, to get rid of it too. Check your local CL, and you'll probably find a lot of Bose stuff for sale. HT is about performance and sound, and not cute little speakers that are easy to hide. We're trying to help you get the most for your money...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Finndog

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
No, no continue. I've been looking for feedback. Just for the record I never got sucked into any Bose marketing or any of there stupid Bose wave radio commercials. I did some research and for most of the vintage pre 90's stuff I found to be pretty solid products. With the bargain price I paid for everything I feel as if I can't be disappointed. It isn't like I spent a fortune, or paid Bose crazy price of $899 retail for my 701's.

Again getting away from the "B" word. If anyone can give me any honest, fair, view to where I may want to do any adjustments that make sense then please let me know.

As far as Audyssey yes I did this setup. What levels are you wondering about?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
We have seen many times here that a set of 5 tone matched, but less expensive, less accurate speakers actually do a good job for home theater. This includes using Bose.

My suggestions:

Try to find another 701 speaker for the center so it exactly matches the left/right. Having the speakers match is more important than having a mix of different speakers. The MTM arrangement for center speakers is traditional, many really good systems do not follow this. Spend time hunting on eBay or CraigsList and find used.

The subwoofer - yes, this is the weak spot of your system. A good, non-boomy sub is the secret to impressive home theater. The $150 Sony sub is very decent for a $150 sub. But there are better. Keep an eye on Bstock from SVS or HSU for a major upgrade.

Finndog

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Yes I did per your suggestion look into the SVS brand, OMG!!! $949. is a lot of money to me for a Sub.

I do understand what your saying about the "booming" producing sound. I do recognize that the bass from the 701's is much more cleaner then that of the 12" Sony, seems a bit over rumbly? I don't know best way to describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks