What's new

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Were there really any larger number of dodgier effects shots than what you see in literally every other blockbuster today? The quantum realm looked like it was lit with two candles but that was so they didn't have to have to spend $400 million for effects.

No there really weren’t any fx that looked dodgier to me.

My only fx issue was the face of MODOK, looked a little flat and more like a projection onto the back of a screen. Reminded me of Kirk and Scotty going up to the Enterprise in ST1

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Reasonably speaking, I think it's safe to say shortcuts are the name of the game in any movie at any time. This isn't specific to Marvel or this movie. Big nothing burger of a story for me.
Yes my first answer to effects that don’t look real is films are dictated by budgets.
I watched about 15 minutes of Moonfall, and my first thought was the effects looked half-assed, likely because of profit margin concerns.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I liked the scene when Ant-Man divides to try to get up to the power source. It was similar to the way real ants may connect to reach a higher level or object.
I think there was a scene like it in Antz.

Also can we say now with confidence that one rumored person choice for Reed Richards is now off the table considering his role in this movie?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I liked the scene when Ant-Man divides to try to get up to the power source. It was similar to the way real ants may connect to reach a higher level or object.
I think there was a scene like it in Antz.

Also can we say now with confidence that one rumored person choice for Reed Richards is now off the table considering his role in this movie?

Michael Douglas? ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No there really weren’t any fx that looked dodgier to me.

My only fx issue was the face of MODOK, looked a little flat and more like a projection onto the back of a screen. Reminded me of Kirk and Scotty going up to the Enterprise in ST1

Yeah, MODOK looked weird - meaning weird in "awkward visual effect" way.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The airport scene in Civil War was filmed live and you can tell the difference beteeen it and anything created in a computer.

Are we sure about this? Everything that I’ve seen for behind the scenes in that film showed the cast running around a mostly blue/green environment, most in their motion capture tracking suits rather than the practical costumes, running around. To me, the behind the scenes that I saw made it look like they filmed it in an outdoor stage that was all green walls but with an exposed sky - but the movie is also 7 years old and I could be misremembering.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Are we sure about this? Everything that I’ve seen for behind the scenes in that film showed the cast running around a mostly blue/green environment, most in their motion capture tracking suits rather than the practical costumes, running around. To me, the behind the scenes that I saw made it look like they filmed it in an outdoor stage that was all green walls but with an exposed sky - but the movie is also 7 years old and I could be misremembering.

Mostly green screen but they were also on location. That’s the difference, for me: the Quantum realm is 100% fake. There’s at least something there for the Civil War scene.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Pitch Meeting video is here and it is accurate.

Spoilers, obviously, so don't click on the video if you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want to know.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The thing he did with his head is exactly what Marvel did with MODOK and it’s awful in a movie like this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was surprised they used Modok, since I thought they kinda used him in The Winter Soldier, played by Toby Jones, who was that disembodied voice (and face) that Cap and Natasha encountered in the bunker. Jones, of course, played one of the Hydra Nazis in The First Avenger.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was surprised they used Modok, since I thought they kinda used him in The Winter Soldier, played by Toby Jones, who was that disembodied voice (and face) that Cap and Natasha encountered in the bunker. Jones, of course, played one of the Hydra Nazis in The First Avenger.

Arnim Zola isn’t anything like what MODOK is.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
No, MODOK is a brain experiment gone wrong that turns an armaments technician into a super-intelligent criminal genius with a freakish look.

Toby Jones‘ character in Winter Soldier was basically the old “as you watch this recording I’ll have been dead many years” trope mixed with AI.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ouch. I know word of mouth on this movie isn't great (personally, I think it's about as good as any of the other Marvel movies) but I think part of the drop can be attributed to superhero fatigue finally starting to set in with the general public. Guardians Of The Galaxy will still be huge but I'd be worried if I was WB with Shazam in a few weeks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if it’s fatigue or if it’s simply that the majority of people who wanted to see Ant-Man have now seen it. It opened up bigger than the previous two installments, so it’s a possibility that the audience showed up all at once at the beginning. It might be the case that rather than growing its audience, this film merely consolidated it by bringing everyone out the first weekend. Critics and audiences didn’t like it as much as the first two, which may be playing a part.

Also worth noting that it’s the end of February vacation week for schoolchildren around the country, which means that last weekend and this past week could have had some extra admissions that normally would have waited until this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks