What's new

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023) (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
The first hour of this movie was snooze fest. The whole time I was wondering why the gravity well stopped sucking the earth into it once our heroes went in--still don't get that. I am tired of the quantum realm and the multi-verse. I'm not exactly sure what phase four did except introduce a ton of characters (two I liked very much--She Hulk and Kamala Khan). I don't know what the overall conflict is--I hope it's not the multiverse. Everything gets watered down when there are multiple copies of everything. I want stories about characters I care about who love and take care of each other. So far that has been in short supply in phase four.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is.

Kevin Feige announced this as The Multiverse Saga when he laid out the plan for phase five and six at Comic-Con last year.
Which is why I might stop watching these Marvel films. I never was in love with the concept and now they're just shoving it down our throats.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
It is.

Kevin Feige announced this as The Multiverse Saga when he laid out the plan for phase five and six at Comic-Con last year.
I wonder if it will remain successful long enough to finish it with theatrical releases, or if by the time they finish the phase six movies, they will be going straight to Disney plus. Enjoyed Wakanda Forever. Enjoyed Spider-Man No Way Home tremendously. Other than that, Multiverse pickings have been slim for this super fan of the Infinity Saga.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if it will remain successful long enough to finish it with theatrical releases, or if by the time they finish the phase six movies, they will be going straight to Disney plus.

I don't think there is any question that the films will continue to see theatrical releases. I think the most important thing going forward is quality control. Quantumania had the best opening weekend gross for any Ant-Man film, but then collapsed afterwards because the word of mouth was not very good. It has made $465 million worldwide, which is not enough to break even just from the theatrical window. But that is still more than they would have had if the movie had been dumped it on Disney+. I think the two key things going forward will be quality control and reasonable budget sizes. These box office results are cause for concern, but I don't think they are going to bring about the end of Marvel's theatrical business.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I watched it on UHD this past weekend. Not top tier MCU, but not bottom tier, either. Though we both agreed that it would've been more fun to see Patton Oswalt playing a "live-action" M.O.D.O.K.

And it looks like Scott and Jimmy Woo had their dinner date after all.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I recently rewatched this; the first time I've seen it since the theater, and I still don't get all the negativity this has drawn. Sure, it was silly in places (Corey Stoll's character should have been better thought-out) and some actors fared better than others, but overall, I found it enjoyable, with some pretty stunning visuals. I liked that it kept the lighter tone of the previous Ant-Man movies, despite the more serious nature of the Kang storyline. I thought Evangeline Lilly didn't fare so well; her part was underwritten and I never felt the actress was committed. The woman who played the resistance leader (Katy O'Brien) had a pretty generic character to play, and we've seen this person before, many many times. Otherwise, I liked the cast. The concept artists really worked their tails off, because not only is the movie full of great visuals, but all the aliens we see are inventive and not the sort of thing we have seen before.

Obviously, this movie didn't meet expectations (but pulling in nearly $500 million and being considered a failure says to me that these movies are waaaay too expensive; if you can't make a profit with a $500M box office, you are doing something wrong), but I hope we've not seen the last of Paul Rudd and Peyton Reed. I think they've brought a lot to the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks