What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I wonder how much Vudu is losing when I purchase a Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray from Amazon or Best Buy, redeem the digital copy on Movies Anywhere, then stream my digital copy on Vudu. There must be costs associated with that.

I do know that when I have an issue with a stream on a particular MA retailer, the first thing the retailer asks is "Did you purchase from us?" or "Where did you obtain your code?" If my answer is not that particular retailer, then the rep usually begins to ease back on being completely helpful, leading to frustration on my part. Google Play is probably the worst (they are also the hardest to even make contact with), basically refusing in most cases to assist if you did not purchase directly from them. Vudu and Apple are much better in most cases, with Apple having the definite edge.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I look at Vudu being more of a competitor to iTunes than these new streaming services like Disney+ and AppleTV+.
I think that is one of the problems that both the news media and the general public have with categorizing streaming services. While I agree that sales of both digital and physical media of Disney content is likely going to diminish very soon due to the launch of Disney+ in a few weeks, I do not see services like Vudu or FandangoNow as direct competitors to Disney+.

These are the categories I often use when discussing streaming services -

VOD (Video On Demand)
Vudu
FandangoNow
Google Play Movies
Apple TV (formerly iTunes)

SVOD (Subscription Video On Demand)
Netflix
Disney+
Apple TV+
Hulu
CBS All Access

Hybrid VOD/SVOD
Amazon Prime Video

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I know there is a pretty big cost to join and a per title redeemed cost for the studios, which is why Paramount and Lionsgate haven't joined. I've never read any talk about the cost for retailers.

For the first time since switching to digital moves, I'm nervous. I've got quite a few titles in Vudu that are not MA so, they wouldn't be in any other storefront. If the sale goes south and Vudu shuts down, I'm in trouble.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not nervous as I think mergers will occur, once these companies realize the reality that people only have so much entertainment money to spend on stuff.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I know there is a pretty big cost to join and a per title redeemed cost for the studios, which is why Paramount and Lionsgate haven't joined. I've never read any talk about the cost for retailers.

For the first time since switching to digital moves, I'm nervous. I've got quite a few titles in Vudu that are not MA so, they wouldn't be in any other storefront. If the sale goes south and Vudu shuts down, I'm in trouble.
Vudu has way too many "members" to allow that to happen. Hopefully, they won't do what Target Ticket did and move customers to a sub-par service (the now defunct CinemaNow) for those non-MA titles.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
A few things to throw in here...

Oct 25th news reports were that Sony is looking to sell PlayStation Vue:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/25...ue-sale-streaming-war-competiton-content-cost

Oct 29th news reports became that Sony is just going to shut down PlayStation Vue:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/20938533/sony-playstation-vue-live-tv-streaming-shutdown

Things can change fast.

If you look at other message boards including Vudu's, to a person everybody is saying they won't spend additional money on Vudu until more clarity on the situation is known.

This is something that I have a feeling will be resolved sooner than later...

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This digital coming an
These are the categories I often use when discussing streaming services -

VOD (Video On Demand)
Vudu
FandangoNow
Google Play Movies
Apple TV (formerly iTunes)

SVOD (Subscription Video On Demand)
Netflix
Disney+
Apple TV+
Hulu
CBS All Access

Hybrid VOD/SVOD
Amazon Prime Video

Now that I've given a test run of Apple TV on Roku, I would put Apple TV in that Hybrid category. Their shows and my Movies Anywhere library are there, but so are gobs of ads for rentals, purchases and additional streaming channels.

After experiencing Apple TV on Roku, I'm close to buying the Apple TV 4K to supplement my Roku Ultra. I don't know if I need it, but the Dolby Vision and Airplay 2 features are tugging on me! :wacko:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I wonder how much Vudu is losing when I purchase a Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray from Amazon or Best Buy, redeem the digital copy on Movies Anywhere, then stream my digital copy on Vudu. There must be costs associated with that.

It can't be much, if any, difference than redeeming it directly at Vudu and streaming it there.

I think they would have more concerns with Instawatch or disc+digital, where you can buy a disc at Wal-Mart, get a code for Vudu, and then still get the digital code slip inside the disc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone know why Memphis Belle, a Warner Bris title, is not MA compatible??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks