What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon is the worst when it comes to Movies Anywhere, and forget about trying to get support from Amazon - no one even knows what MA is or how it works.

Understood. However, the thing about Amazon is that they'll refund you for anything when you express an issue with something you ordered. The confidence level in that regard is very solid.

Fortunately, everything worked out.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Understood. However, the thing about Amazon is that they'll refund you for anything when you express an issue with something you ordered. The confidence level in that regard is very solid.

Fortunately, everything worked out.
True, and glad it all worked itself out (which is typically the case if you are patient enough to wait sometimes up to 2 weeks).

The point I was trying to make is that option is there, especially if it is some kind of super sale that is only at Amazon and you really didn't want to pay more than $5 for that title, yet everyone else had it for full price. That typically happens during Prime Days.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Oh, got confused as to what thread I was reading/responding to. This is what I was referring to as an option if there is an issue with a MA title not porting over from Prime:

Agents at MA have said to me that if I ever have an issue with a title not porting over from Amazon/Prime Video to contact them and provide a copy of my invoice and they would try to fix the issue from their end. They get complaints on a fairly steady basis regarding Prime Video, from titles not porting into Prime Video correctly to titles purchased on Prime not porting back to MA.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just in case anybody actually cares about these features and will miss them (I certainly don't) MA sent out the following announcement today:

Movies Anywhere Logo
At Movies Anywhere™, we are continually making changes to the website and app to help our users enjoy and grow their collections.

As the experience continues to evolve, we want to notify you that effective May 1 users will no longer be able to use the Screen Pass™ feature to send a Screen Pass. For Screen Passes sent prior to May 1, recipients will still be able to accept and finish watching the movie before their passes expire. As of June 1, the Screen Pass feature will no longer be supported. In addition, as of June 1, we will also no longer offer the ability for users to Watch Together.

We are committed to focusing on an experience which highlights the things our users are most passionate about, primarily growing their collections and watching their favorite movies across platforms and devices.

For more information on these upcoming changes, visit our Help Center.

-The Movies Anywhere Team

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've never used the "Screen Pass" feature but had been thinking it sounded like something interesting to try - I normally give my son all my digital codes and that would be a decent solution for keeping them myself *or* being able to easily share those movies he "didn't want" at a later date. Long run it makes the service less attractive, IMHO.

While I generally like Movies Anywhere I grow increasingly frustrated with the studios who still won't participate and the inability for any TV series to show up on the service. While I can use MA for many things there are *still* movies on Amazon and VUDU that won't transfer (studio doesn't participate) as well as several TV series I can't watch on the service which makes it far less convenient than they'd like to think it is. Removing "Screen Pass" and "Watch Together" further reduces its convenience (at least for those who used those features regularly).

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Screen Pass was nice. I didn't use it enough, but there were times friends would tell me they wanted to watch a movie and I'd lend it to them. On the other hand I have a friend so anti-streaming he didn't want to sign up for a free service to watch a free movie I was happy to send him.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I tried to give out Screen Passes (from my pretty sizeable, growing library) to a few friends on occasion, but near as I can tell, none of them ended up using them at all -- I even actually gave out my MA account's login to a select few of them for a couple years now, but seems like none of them actually ever used it AFAIK. Part of the problem may be that most simply don't wanna bother w/ Movies Anywhere at all -- that seems to be the case w/ most of my friends who might otherwise be interested... as most of them do at least some amount of streaming, if not having migrated completely away from physical media.

The couple friends who do sporadically borrow any titles from me still seems to prefer borrowing discs instead, but that's also relatively rare as well. I just recently lent out my (still shrink-wrapped) copy of Ordinary People BD to one friend and offered the included DC to him for free (as I already have the 4K digital via iTunes), but he doesn't wanna bother w/ a digital library of his own at all -- he might be the only friend still occasionally/sporadically buying BDs (and also occasionally? subscribes to The Criterion Channel FWIW)... though he might tend to buy the kinds of BDs that typically/often don't come w/ DCs.

Given all that (and what bits have been said around here), I can (anecdotally) see why Disney feels there's just not nearly enough interest in the feature to bother keeping (and maintaining) it...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I never tried Screen Pass. I have one friend who I used to loan and and borrow discs with (he's the only person who always returned what I loaned), and we discussed giving it a try. But we never got around to actually loaning anything through the feature. We are getting together with him and his wife this weekend. I will have to tell him our window of opportunity has passed.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
So here's an odd thing. I just redeemed the digital code from the blu-ray of Three Billboard Outside Ebbing Missouri at Vudu. It shows up in my movies at Vudu, but not at Movies Anywhere. It also doesn't show up in my itunes library.

But it shows up in my transaction history at MA. It makes no sense. It's like it got stuck somewhere in the MA site. I'll give it some time before contacting MA support.

EDIT: Never mind. It was just a little bit slow to get through the system. Never saw it take more than a few seconds before.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Everyone who redeemed or purchased Avatar The Way of Water should check which version appears on their Prime Video library. On August 23, mine was switched from the 4K theatrical to HD with Family Friendly audio and special features. I reported it to Amazon, but they seem clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks