What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
da9ac2c9-e01f-4269-812b-db3c9b17c0da.jpg

Your Movies, Together at Last

Announcing the launch of
MOVIES ANYWHERE

Disney, Fox, Sony Pictures, Universal and Warner Bros. On Board Alongside Digital Retailers Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu
0d7c25bb-18aa-4953-a88b-8d17174fe360.jpg

BURBANK, Calif., Oct. 11, 2017 — Movie lovers now have a new home for their favorite digital movies as Movies Anywhere launches in the U.S. today with an unprecedented five Hollywood studios and four major digital retailers on board. Featuring films from Sony Pictures Entertainment, The Walt Disney Studios (encompassing Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm), Twentieth Century Fox Film, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Entertainment purchased or redeemed through digital retailers Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu, Movies Anywhere brings the movies people love together to create a simple, seamless digital entertainment experience across platforms.

Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can access all their eligible movies by connecting their Movies Anywhere account with their participating digital retailer accounts. Movies Anywhere syncs users’ libraries across their connected accounts, so consumers can watch their purchased and redeemed digital movies on an array of platforms including Amazon Fire devices; Android devices and Android TV; Apple TV; Chromecast; iPhone, iPad and iPod touch; Roku® devices and popular browsers, with more platforms and retailers to come.

“Movies Anywhere is a massive step forward for the consumer digital media experience, bringing the incredible film libraries of five studios together in a virtual one-stop movie-watching shop,” said Karin Gilford, General Manager, Movies Anywhere, who leads an independent, dedicated cross-functional team of product, technology, marketing and other professionals. “Movies Anywhere means that consumers never have to remember where they purchased a film or which device they can watch it on, because all of their eligible movies will be centralized within their Movies Anywhere library and available across platforms through the Movies Anywhere app and website and also available at their connected digital retailers. And as Movies Anywhere continues to add more studios, retailers and platforms, the entertainment possibilities are endless.”

Movies Anywhere initially features access to a library of over 7,300 digital movies, along with fresh previews and film extras from the studios responsible for such 2017 global blockbusters as Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast,” Warner Bros.’ “Wonder Woman,” Sony Pictures’ “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” Universal’s “The Fate of the Furious” and Twentieth Century Fox’s “War for the Planet of the Apes.”
b1e9e99a-6cb1-4db7-803b-31414443c11f.png

In celebration of this exciting new digital entertainment destination, Movies Anywhere is welcoming new users with a limited-time offer to receive up to five digital movies. Activate and connect your account with one of these participating digital retailers— Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes or Vudu —and you’ll receive a digital copy of both Sony Pictures’ “Ghostbusters” (2016) and Twentieth Century Fox’s “Ice Age.” Connect with a second participating digital retailer and Disney’s “Big Hero 6,” Universal’s “Jason Bourne” and Warner Bros.’ “The LEGO Movie” will be added to your digital movie collection.
About Movies Anywhere
Movies Anywhere simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Movies Anywhere brings together the movies from Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Film, The Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm), Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Participating digital retailers at launch are Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu. Movies Anywhere offers a library of over 7,300 digital movies at launch, including new releases, and will continue to expand the consumer experience as more content providers, digital retailers and platforms are added. Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can connect their Movies Anywhere account with participating digital retailers and enjoy their favorite digital movies from the comfort of their living room and across multiple devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire devices; Android devices and Android TV; Apple TV; Chromecast; iPhone, iPad and iPod touch; Roku® devices and popular browsers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-ray and DVD disc packages from participating studios and enjoy them through Movies Anywhere.

Studios
Sony Pictures – www.sonypictures.com
The Walt Disney Studios – www.waltdisneystudios.com/about
Twentieth Century Fox Film – www.foxmovies.com
Universal Pictures – www.universalpictures.com
Warner Bros. – www.warnerbros.com

Retailers
Amazon Video – https://www.amazon.com/MoviesAnywhere
Google Play – g.co/play/movies-anywhere
iTunes – www.apple.com/itunes
Vudu – https://www.vudu.com/MA

Platforms
Amazon’s Fire tablets, Fire TV and Fire TV Stick – www.amazon.com
Android mobile and tablet devices and Android TV – https://www.android.com/
Chromecast – www.google.com/chromecast
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV – www.apple.com
Roku – www.roku.com

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Goodbye optical media! This is the future. There's enough studios on board to make this a crowning service.

...and I am speaking for the average consumer. The collectors, such as us, will continue to buy disc media for as long as it lasts. However, I think the beginning of the end had started long ago.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's live now. I was able to open an account, import DMA, connect iTunes and Amazon accounts. However I have not been able to successfully connect my Vudu account. I went to their help center and sent them a message about the problem. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.
On a positive note, many (though not all) of my older iTunes redemptions that were SD only got upgraded to HD during this process.
And by connecting 2 accounts I was awarded the 5 free movies.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It's live now. I was able to open an account, import DMA, connect iTunes and Amazon accounts. However I have not been able to successfully connect my Vudu account. I went to their help center and sent them a message about the problem. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Vudu has said they will connect at 10am pacific...

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Even if physical media becomes a niche market for collectors and avid film buffs, I hope that it will not disappear completely.

I really don't think it will. Not for a long time. Old catalog titles being released on BD, sure studios are walking away from them, but thank goodness for boutique labels. New movies fresh to home video I think will stick around on Blu-Ray. I think people, even many average consumers are still wanting something real/tangible to purchase. Something they can hold to own when spending their hard earned dollars.

Ever see a $5 DVD bin at Wal-Mart? Yeah, there are always people shuffling through them to own a handful of movies on DVD...standard definition DVD. Which by the way are still being manufactured by big studios in 2017.

Music CD's by rights should have been dead for a decade. Should have been. Who stills buys a CD? Well a lot of people obviously. Now UHD is out and selling well. Why did the big studios even give consumers the option for physical copies of UHD when it rolled out. They are expensive to replicate, and they still have the problem of theft, and defects/returns. Why not all digital format for UHD, wouldn't that have been easier? Physical media still sells. People still like shiny discs to own. I still think that all streaming digital will be the only way to purchase movies, but I think that time is a long way down the road.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was able to connect my Amazon, iTunes and Google accounts. Interestingly, when I attempt to do Vudu (I know it's not available yet), when Vudu pops up during the process I get a message stating my account is already linked to Movies Anywhere. Of course, when I go back to Movies Anywhere, Vudu is not connected.

So, does this mean that direct redemption of digital codes that come with UHDs and BDs can no longer be redeemed directly at a studio? For example, I have been redeeming Sony UHD codes directly at Sonypicturesstore.com since redeeming them through Vudu results in only an HDX version being in my collection.

One other question: where does Fandango fit in all this? I only have one film in that library that's not part of my UV library (Sharknado, which was a freebie). It's not a big deal to me if it never gets transferred to Movies Anywhere, but what about people who have a lot of films purchased there?

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, imagine that. I've been starting to go through my entire collection and redeem every DC I have. I've connected all my accounts through Vudu and whatnot, gotten the iPhone and Apple TV apps and I'm going to show the BF how to use it all this weekend. This may explain why Disney Movies Anywhere was offline last night. I tried to redeem a PotC bonus from Target and couldn't do it.

So I guess I'll go do this now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How much is it to own a first-run movie?

I would suspect that the studios will be offering early windows on viewing over their optical counterparts.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I won't subscribe until more of the bugs are worked out.

Once Vudu connects at 1pm eastern everything should be fine, Robert! And no subscription needed...

How much is it to own a first-run movie?

I would suspect that the studios will be offering early windows on viewing over their optical counterparts.

New releases are $14.99 - $19.99 (and iTunes usually puts them on sale for $9.99 after a few weeks).

Of course, if you buy codes, the price is more like $3-$5 ;)

Digital is released 3-4 weeks before disc.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Apple TV app now available. Really don’t see a need for it, though. With iTunes you can get movies that aren’t MA enabled as well...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My library of films (mostly UV codes) from Vudu are now showing up on Amazon and iTunes. Everything is showing as HDX, though, even though some should be in UHD. Hopefully that will come in time.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is now working, I just redeemed Kong Skull Island in VUDU and it showed up in iTunes.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Can this service be used with a PC where movies can be downloaded and streamed to a player hooked to the tv? And or can this service be used with a Samsung 4K UHD Blu-ray player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks