1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ok but the tips are big. ;)

Bob Cashill likes this.
  2. Message #1702 of 1822 Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I was looking forward to purchasing the Downton Abbey movie on iTunes to watch over Thanksgiving. But iTunes is dragging their feet on kicking it up to 4K. It's in 4K on Vudu and FandangoNow. The thing is, if you purchase it at iTunes while it is still listed as HD only, it will import into Movies Anywhere as HD and won't ever upgrade to 4K (in MA) even after iTunes bumps it up.

Edit: Very late on Tuesday night iTunes finally upgraded it to 4K. It’s now safe to buy.

3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    But won't purchasing in UHD on Vudu cause iTunes to bump it to UHD eventually?

4. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Yes it would. But I don’t want to buy it at Vudu. I’ve got iTunes cash for which I only paid 80 cents on the dollar. :)

5. Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

iTunes now has it in 4K, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos

Tino likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I’ll pick it up in a few weeks when it hits $9.99

Terrific film.

dpippel likes this.
  7. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Heads up - apparently there is an issue over at iTunes where some titles redeemed the old fashioned way of code+disc that MA mistakenly upgraded to HD for free at launch (and MA agreed to let them stay as HD) were improperly re-transmitted from iTunes to MA on or around 11/29/2019, effectively downgrading those titles to SD. I contacted Movies Anywhere last week, who told me to contact both iTunes and Vudu (at the time the only retailer that had downgraded my titles to SD). Of course, both referred me back to MA. Today, MA told me that iTunes is aware of the issue and are working on it with no timeframe as to when it will be rectified.

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Which titles??

9. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    For me, it was only one so far: Pineapple Express-Unrated. I did not have many movies in iTunes prior to the creation of MA (or even DMA), and most of those have since been upgraded to either HD or UHD via a disc purchase or review.

I just get real suspicious when a really old title I've owned for years suddenly pops up at the top of my Recent Purchases list on a digital retailer, only to find it was downgraded rather than upgraded.

10. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    My Girl just got a free 4K upgrade on iTunes. Love to get these unexpected little surprises. No HDR on this one, but that’s fine with me, because HDR is such a crapshoot from one title to the next, that I’d just as soon do without.

11. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I had mentioned in another thread here that there were some classic Sony titles available exclusively in 4K at Amazon. Some of them have now popped up on Vudu in 4K:

The Guns of Navarone
    Funny Girl
    The Way We Were

12. Message #1712 of 1822 Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Cranston37

Deleted

13. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    I'm having a hard time finding the most up to date and accurate information regarding itunes and digital codes.

Is there any circumstance where redeeming the digital code from a blu-ray at itunes will give me 4K at all MA vendors?

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  15. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    If the title is redeemable at iTunes and is currently available in 4K, it will import into Movies Anywhere at 4K. If iTunes doesn’t yet have it in 4K then it will only import into Movies Anywhere in HD and will not upgrade in MA even if iTunes upgrades to 4K at a later date.

Todd Erwin likes this.
  16. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Most studios only allow redeeming their codes at either their digital redemption site (which usually just takes you to Movies Anywhere) or Movies Anywhere. I mentioned in an earlier posting that one way to find out what resolution a code will redeem at is to logout of Movies Anywhere (or navigate to the Movies Anywhere page in a "private" or "incognito" browser window without logging in as someone else noted) and enter the code on the redemption page. Movies Anywhere will tell you what resolution that code will redeem as and prompt you to login to complete the redemption. Theoretically, redeeming a 4K/UHD code this way should redeem as 4K/UHD on all MA retailers if available, and eventually upgrade to 4K/UHD when that retailer upgrades the title on their site. I've been seeing this happen quite regularly on Vudu, Google Play, and FandangoNow.

17. Message #1717 of 1822 Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Cranston37

A heads up - it used to be that you couldn't change the e-mail associated with your MA account, but now you can.

Just e-mail them at [email protected] from your old e-mail and tell them what you want to change it to.

I did it this morning and they surprisingly responded within about 2mins and did it, which is good because the e-mail I had used for MA is one I no longer use.

dpippel and Robert Crawford like this.
  18. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    May I do a small editorial here? We are now in the midst of the third year of Movies Anywhere. At launch nearly 2 and a half years ago, we all expected so much. There were optimists touting that all the studios would be rushing to join and that TV shows would soon be part of it too. A few new storefronts came on board, but after all this time not a single new studio joined. Lionsgate, MGM, and Paramount are no closer to becoming part of the Movies Anywhere family than they were on day one. At about the same time Movies Anywhere launched, iTunes introduced 4K streaming, and 2 and a half years later Disney still won't let iTunes have 4K versions of their titles. Instead we get Disney+, AppleTV+, The Peacock, the Criterion Channel, and Oscar nominated movies that are only available on Netflix or Criterion disc. I have a feeling that it's not just physical media that is endangered, but movie ownership altogether, as the studios would much prefer we subscribe rather than buy.

19. Message #1719 of 1822 Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Cranston37

BobO'Link and Josh Steinberg like this.
  20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s not only the studios.

The mass of average consumers that make up the bulk of any business any industry does have decided that they prefer subscriptions over a la carte purchase of individual items.

Ten years ago, physical media was a $20 billion a year business. In 2019, physical purchases were at $3 billion, digital purchases were at $3 billion, and subscription revenue is at $15 billion.

Most people don’t want to watch the same thing again and again, and in many cases, most people care more about watching a thing than watching a specific thing.

I believe ownership got a temporary boost during the DVD era due to the widespread availability of the format and the relative low cost of discs. Simply put, the rental experience for physical media was awful in the VHS era, and buying a DVD was far easier. But even better than buying a disc to watch once is pressing a button on your remote to have instant access to something that’s never not available because the store ran out of copies.

I think studios would have been perfectly happy putting items on discs to get $20 billion in revenue on a perpetual basis. They would have loved to sell the same titles on a new physical media format every 5-10 years if that market was still there. But the consumer base moved past that.

If you have other studios not rushing to join Movies Anywhere, I don’t think of it as a conspiracy to force subscriptions on us. I think of it as those studios going, “Sales are a $3 billion business, subscriptions are a $15 billion business and growing, and it’s not worth the resources it would take to join Movies Anywhere when we don’t feel that not doing so is hurting this smaller portion of a much larger business”