What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks guys. I have all the tips I need.

I will absolutely make certain I have accounts at all those services prior to using MA.

For Paramount, which does not participate in MA, I take it that the instructions in the Paramount code leaflet will instruct how to add to iTunes?

Thanks again guys!
Ron,

For the Paramount titles, just go to Vudu and iTunes and redeem those codes at each site. There are instructions at Vudu's site to do so. I found iTunes much easier as you simply go to their iTunes site, make sure you're in the movies section then click on the "Redeem" icon/link and punch in the code.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ron,

Do you have Vudu or iTunes on any device in your HT rack? If not then you need a device like Roku or AppleTV. You will need a 4KATV unit to watch 4K material on iTunes. The same applies to Roku, you'll need one of their units capable of watching 4K material.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-4k/32gb

https://www.roku.com/products/players
The Vudu app can also be installed on your smartphone and tablet. You will not get anything in 4K, but on the smaller screen that's not an issue. While watching on a smaller screen is not something I ever do at home, it's handy when traveling.

I failed to mention some of the other services that link to Movies Anywhere -- thanks, Robert, for catching that. I, too, have linked accounts with Amazon, Google and Fandango. I rarely watch any claimed codes through Amazon, though, and only used Google once (they had a film I wanted to rent priced at $0.99). I only signed up for Fandango because they were offering a free movie -- I have never actually bought or watched anything through them. I pretty much use either Vudu or iTunes, and use Amazon mostly for the content they make available at no additional cost to Prime members -- plus I rent mostly through them because they offer digital credits when you select their slower "no rush" shipping option. I get most of my rentals free that way.

Ron, you mentioned in your original post you haven't claimed any codes because you don't have the time. Honestly, once you get the hang of claiming codes it takes under a minute. If you claim the codes whenever you get a new title, it's quick and easy -- and you will not have a mountain of codes piling up to deal with.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

So far, I just added 1 code, DEADPOOL to Movies Anywhere.

Dismayed to see the Star Wars Saga set had no codes, but that release is several years old.

It's just difficult knowing what titles offer it and what do not. I think I will start with the newest additions to my library first.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's just difficult knowing what titles offer it and what do not. I think I will start with the newest additions to my library first.

Ron,

Most discs will have a banner stating something like "Digital HD", "Digital" or "Digital Copy". Here are a couple of examples:

i-jpsG4ND-L.jpg

i-kTd9WFF-L.jpg

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
1. I just add digital codes through moviesanywhere.com? That will link to all the available streaming services?

I've started redeeming most of my codes through Vudu, especially if they are Ultraviolet (which is not very many anymore). But I also have the ability to tie my UV account to my cable account and can watch a select few movies that way.

I still redeem all of my Disney movies directly through MA, usually because I first enter the codes for the points at Disney Movie Rewards, and then click on the link to redeem the digital copy at MA.

Redeeming directly through Movies Anywhere is the easiest method, though, because you go to the redeem page and type the code in, without having to preselect the movie title.

2. Do digital codes expire? I don't know how far back I should be looking in my collection.

The only digital codes that I have not had work past their expiration date were the ones where you needed to put a disc in the computer to redeem a code. Which you shouldn't bother with because they only redeem SD copies if they even work at all. (I could only get that method to work via iTunes anyway.)

I did run into a problem with the Veronica Mars movie where MA wouldn't take the code, but Vudu did. Moral of that story is if one place won't let you redeem a code, check the others.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I do not know of any service that upgrades codes included with BD titles to 4K. Apple will automatically upgrade any code you have actually purchased through them to 4K when they have a 4K version available.
We should probably clarify, that in addition to titles purchased at iTunes, codes that can be actually redeemed at the iTunes site will also get free 4K upgrades where available. It's only codes redeemed at other sites that migrate to iTunes which are restricted from the upgrade. Most of the studios are aware of this and for newer releases deliberately have codes that are NOT redeemable through iTunes anymore. I always try to redeem at iTunes first just to ensure 4K upgradeabliliy, and if that doesn't work, then redeem elsewhere.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Had a bit of an odd glitch today. I did disc to digital for five movies (all three Back to the Futures and both X-Files movies). I already had the BTTF movies in SD courtesy of the old disc-based digital copies.

-Everything is showing up properly at Vudu.
-All 5 show up in my transaction history as HD at Movies Anywhere.
-Only the first X-Files movie was added to the MA library. The second one only gives me the "buy" option instead of "play". When I sort by date added, the BTTF movies are still in the same place that they were redeemed in SD.
-All 5 have been added to Amazon, with BTTF being moved up to the top of the list.
-All 5 have been added/upgraded in Microsoft Movies. (Although that happened as I was typing this post.)
-Fandango Now and Google Play only added the first X-Files movie, and BTTF is still SD. No sign of the second X-Files movie.

I'm gonna give it some time. If it hasn't pushed through by tomorrow, I'll either disconnect/reconnect or contact MA.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Is that the same policy as iTunes, that only movies purchased or redeemed through them get 4K upgrades, or does it apply to Movies Anywhere migrations as well?
Per Pauline at Google Support:

Pauline
2:35 PM
So I would like to inform you that if the purchases are made on Google Play then this is automatically upgraded to 4K.
Pauline
2:35 PM
I am sorry that we will not be able to comment on movie upgrades for 3rd party sites since we do not have any update on the same.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Had a bit of an odd glitch today. I did disc to digital for five movies (all three Back to the Futures and both X-Files movies). I already had the BTTF movies in SD courtesy of the old disc-based digital copies.

-Everything is showing up properly at Vudu.
-All 5 show up in my transaction history as HD at Movies Anywhere.
-Only the first X-Files movie was added to the MA library. The second one only gives me the "buy" option instead of "play". When I sort by date added, the BTTF movies are still in the same place that they were redeemed in SD.
-All 5 have been added to Amazon, with BTTF being moved up to the top of the list.
-All 5 have been added/upgraded in Microsoft Movies. (Although that happened as I was typing this post.)
-Fandango Now and Google Play only added the first X-Files movie, and BTTF is still SD. No sign of the second X-Files movie.

I'm gonna give it some time. If it hasn't pushed through by tomorrow, I'll either disconnect/reconnect or contact MA.

And the simple solution was to disconnect and reconnect Vudu.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
A couple additions -- if you run into a code which says it is expired, most companies will replace them with current codes. Not 100%, but most.

Items without codes that you still might want on Digital, but a lot cheaper than buying direct -- many studios (not Disney, not most of the boutiques though there are exceptions, most MGM BD will not work) allow you to add a Digital Copy for a small charge through the VUDU based Disc2Digital program -- many of these also port through MA to Itunes. The Disc based D2D really never worked 100% and is still considered a BETA even after several years. Even discs that should work don't always -- there is a "Notify Us if it doesn't work" somewhere included, but I've never heard of a single person that ever got a a response from that contact.

This can be done either through the computer with Bluray/DVD drive or up to 100 per year via a smartphone mobile app. Normally -- BD to HD/HDX codes for $2, or DVD to HD/HDX for $5, a few BD/DVD to only SD digital for $2.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
WARNING: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT redeem The Matrix Trilogy codes on Vudu - they are redeeming as HDX because the "bundle was only licensed to Vudu as HDX," per a rep at Vudu.

I did a chat support request on Warner Digital's support page, and was told the codes should redeem as UHD. Warner is currently looking into the issue. I'd say either hold off on redeeming, or redeem directly through MA (unless you need sharing rights on Vudu - then I'd wait).

If you have already redeemed on Vudu, I'd suggest filing a ticket with Warner here. Include a scanned copy of your code.

My review of the set should be up later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks