What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Might be a dumb question, but if I buy a 4K disc with a digital code (and assuming it actually redeems as 4K), the movie will still play as HD if I don't have any 4K equipment, correct?

Thought process behind this one - Deadpool 2 Blu-ray/Digital combo is $9. Deadpool 2 4K/Blu-ray/Digital combo is also $9. I figure if it's the same price, I might as well future proof and get the 4K.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Might be a dumb question, but if I buy a 4K disc with a digital code (and assuming it actually redeems as 4K), the movie will still play as HD if I don't have any 4K equipment, correct?
That is correct. If you have 1080p equipment, the stream will play in HDX quality, even if you have the 4K UHD digital version in your library. That’s how it works with Apple and Vudu. Amazon’s a little strange, as they have separate UHD and HDX versions of programs, and it can be a pain finding the correct one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just bought some UHD films for $4.99 on Vudu and they ported over to iTunes in 4K.

Sucker Punch
Hidden Figures
In The Heart Of The Sea
Get Hard
Miss Perigrine

And more...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just bought some UHD films for $4.99 on Vudu and they ported over to iTunes in 4K.

Sucker Punch
Hidden Figures
In The Heart Of The Sea
Get Hard
Miss Perigrine

And more...
I did the same thing yesterday morning with different titles except for Sucker Punch.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While one of the perks of Movies Anywhere is that you can shop for the cheapest price and then it gets transferred across all platforms, I’m finding myself wanting to curtail buying at any site other than iTunes. This is mainly because I want to future-proof my purchases. If you buy an HD title at iTunes, it will automatically upgrade to 4K should that option become available in the future. But if you buy in HD on any other site, you are stuck in HD until you re-buy.

(I think google play also has free 4K upgrades for content purchased through them, but who buys anything there?)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While one of the perks of Movies Anywhere is that you can shop for the cheapest price and then it gets transferred across all platforms, I’m finding myself wanting to curtail buying at any site other than iTunes. This is mainly because I want to future-proof my purchases. If you buy an HD title at iTunes, it will automatically upgrade to 4K should that option become available in the future. But if you buy in HD on any other site, you are stuck in HD until you re-buy.

(I think google play also has free 4K upgrades for content purchased through them, but who buys anything there?)
Yup, I shop around, but I tend to buy most of my titles from iTunes for the reason you stated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm pretty certain another big iTunes sale is coming as we get closer to Christmas. I, along with some family members bought several iTune gift cards for myself at Best Buy, Amazon and even Target. Best Buy and Amazon $100.00 worth of gift cards discounted to $80.00 with a limit of two $50.00 gift cards at Best Buy. I believe this offer is still active at BB. At Amazon, you have two different options to buy iTune gift cards discounted at 20%. The maximized amount for each option is $100 worth for $80.00. One option is a $100.00 gift card that is mailed to you that you can purchased for $80.00, there is a limit of one. The second Amazon option is limited to two $50.00 gift cards that you can purchased for $40.00 each, those gift cards are sent via email to you. I think the Amazon offers have expired, but you can double check. Target has a similar active sale for iTunes gift cards in which you purchase two $50.00 iTunes gift cards with the second $50.00 gift card discounted at 30% and if you use your Red Card you get another 5% off which figures to $100.00 worth of iTunes gift cards for $80.75. Target has no limits on this gift card sale, but you can only buy two $50.00 gift cards for each transaction to get the full benefit of their discounts.

Needless to say, I'm stocked up for any more Christmas sales at iTunes as well as for 2019.:)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm pretty certain another big iTunes sale is coming as we get closer to Christmas. I, along with some family members bought several iTune gift cards for myself at Best Buy, Amazon and even Target. Best Buy and Amazon $100.00 worth of gift cards discounted to $80.00 with a limit of two $50.00 gift cards at Best Buy. I believe this offer is still active at BB. At Amazon, you have two different options to buy iTune gift cards discounted at 20%. The maximized amount for each option is $100 worth for $80.00. One option is a $100.00 gift card that is mailed to you that you can purchased for $80.00, there is a limit of one. The second Amazon option is limited to two $50.00 gift cards that you can purchased for $40.00 each, those gift cards are sent via email to you. I think the Amazon offers have expired, but you can double check. Target has a similar active sale for iTunes gift cards in which you purchase two $50.00 iTunes gift cards with the second $50.00 gift card discounted at 30% and if you use your Red Card you get another 5% off which figures to $100.00 worth of iTunes gift cards for $80.75. Target has no limits on this gift card sale, but you can only buy two $50.00 gift cards for each transaction to get the full benefit of their discounts.

Needless to say, I'm stocked up for any more Christmas sales at iTunes as well as for 2019.:)
You and I think alike Robert. I always buy discounted iTunes gift cards to load up my account. Costco had them on sale this week for 79.49 ($100 value). This was online purchase and email delivery. When you buy movies on sale with discounted funds you are doing some serious saving!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You and I think alike Robert. I always buy discounted iTunes gift cards to load up my account. Costco had them on sale this week for 79.49 ($100 value). This was online purchase and email delivery. When you buy movies on sale with discounted funds you are doing some serious saving!
Yeah, I saw that Costco deal, but there isn't a Costco within 60 something miles of me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
New releases from Lionsgate cannot be redeemed so they are accessible on iTunes in any way, correct? I just got the UHD disc of “First Blood” and the only services that appear to be available are Vudu or Fandango.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
New releases from Lionsgate cannot be redeemed so they are accessible on iTunes in any way, correct? I just got the UHD disc of “First Blood” and the only services that appear to be available are Vudu or Fandango.
Make sure you redeem that title on Fandango and not Vudu. It’s the only way so far to have it in 4K on Vudu. If you redeem directly on Vudu it will be only HD for some reason.

Edit: Sam is right you can buy the four movie collection on iTunes for $9.99 and three of them will be 4K/Dolby Vision. The last Rambo film still is only HD which hasn't been released on 4K/UHD disc.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
All 4 Rambos were on iTunes for $9.99, I'd get that.

Too late. I bought the 4K UHD disc for $7.99 on Amazon during their Black Friday deals (it was actually free using some Amazon credits), and the disc was waiting for me when I returned home last night from northern Michigan. I only like the first film anyway, so really didn't want the entire set.

Make sure you redeem that title on Fandango and not Vudu. It’s the only way so far to have it in 4K on Vudu. If you redeem on Vudu it will be only HD for some reason.

Edit: Sam is right you can buy the four movie collection on iTunes for $9.99 and three of them will be 4K/Dolby Vision. The last Rambo film still is only HD which hasn't been released on 4K/UHD disc.

Thanks, but I never use Fandango -- although I do have an account that I set up a long time ago to get a free movie. I already redeemed through Vudu. While it would be nice to have the streaming version in 4K, I do have the 4K disc to watch at home. I claim the streaming versions mainly to give me a larger selection of things to watch when we travel, and 4K is not currently an issue in that case. I do sometimes end up selling the disc of something claimed if I end up not being enamored with the film, but I already am familiar with the Rambo films and will probably be hanging onto this disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today was my first time using FandangoNow even though I had an account with them beforehand. I didn't want to use them, but when I found out that none of the Rambo movies would appear in 4K on Vudu if I redeemed my codes there, it left me no other choices.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Lots of classic Westerns on sale at iTunes for $4.99 including many John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and John Ford titles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Lots of classic Westerns on sale at iTunes for $4.99 including many John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and John Ford titles.
I saw those. I ended up grabbing 6 Paramount Westerns that aren't on Blu-ray. These days I'm buying more digital product than discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks