What's new

An average HTer visits "high-end" with a Lexicon MC-1(long) (1 Viewer)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I didn't start this post, knowing you would want to read my review of a processor that's been out for awhile....but to just give the forum my perspective as an average owner of good quality electronics, but nothing that anyone would classify as "high-end." Below is a list of what I own:
Mits RPTV WS-55805
Sony 7700 (modified by MSB Tech with their progrssive board)
RCA DTC-100
Pioneer LD player
Martanz MA-700 monoblock amps (7)
Richard Gray Power Company 400's (4)
Atlantic Technology 350 series speakers
Atlantic Tech. 257's for center rears
SVsubwoofer (2)
Extron VGA switcher
Bettercables (all throughout the system)
All are items that I have researched and love each one. The one item that was missing was a digital processor. I had been using my former Denon 5700 and most recently a Technics 500 (until I could decide on a product)
I, like everyone have been waiting for the outlaw 950. During this time, I read many posts here and at the AVS forum about the Lexicon units and Logic 7 (thanks Randy G). This feature was what I was looking for......center rears (as in both right and left) with stereo. With the added benefit of being in a market when the former flagship (MC-1) was available for one third of the list price of $6,000 through the (preowned) trade-in program for the MC-12.
What did the Lex do for my HT sound system? I saw numerous improvements (I used soundtracks that I used many times to demo for others...so I knew what I was listening to for the sake of comparison):
1) Better detail. This was very evident in the surrounds. The rears showed get detail during Saving Pri. Ryan.
2) True panning effects stood out....both in acuracy and richness of sound. The Episode One soundtrack was amazing. The over all perspective of being in the middle of all the action was more intense than before.
3) More bass than I could ever want....I still trying to bring the bass down a notch (too much for my wife).
4) A more fuller soundstage is created. I was always happy with the Denon's front sound stage...but the Lex created a rich fuller sound and better accuracy in right and left detail...no bleeding from the center. But the most improvement came in the rear soundstage. In the fact, that now I have one! As I said in the above comments, I feel like I'm directly in the middle of the action (when the soundtrack dictates).
Bottomline: Am I happy with this high end unit at $2,000, you bet!!! Would I have paid $6,000...not on god's green earth. 1) I don't want to spend that kind of money for my HT gear (unless it's a FPTV
wink.gif
). 2) I'd have to upgrade my speakers and treat my room to really take full advantage of what the Lexicon can do.
Again, this is not a vanity post. It's just I have always wondered (and I thought some of you might too) what a high end upgrade might do for my system and would I get the best bang for the buck (thanks SVS & Bettercables). The answer is not at the MSRP price.
Take Care,
Ron Boster
[Edited last by Ron Boster on November 17, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

Excellent job on this post. When I did my big upgrade from my old Sony 333ES and Paradigms to B&K Ref 20, Anthem MCA5 and Sonus Faber speakers, I did it all at once, and have always wondered about the effects of each individual component. Congrats on the Lex and enjoy!!!

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you find a MC1 for $2000.00? Can you get me one? I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Try AVS forum....www.avsforum.com (Jason Turk w/the AV Science store) [email protected] (Steve w/Sound and Video) or [email protected]. All have been advertising used units for $2,000-$2,500. All are authorized dealers. The up side besides price was the transferable warranty. The downside was once the unit has been used for trade-in...it can't be used for that purpose again. For me, this didn't matter... because I don't believe even at net(MSRP minus trade-in value), the cost of a future Lex. product will be in my price range.
Good Luck
Ron
[Edited last by Ron Boster on November 17, 2001 at 01:56 PM]

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Great post Ron. I've been hanging on to my Acurus Act-3 with the hope of Mondials' future upgrade/trade-in on their next Pre/Pro. $2000-$2500 on the MC-1 makes it very tempting.
------------------
Enjoy the Toys!

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I've had a couple of email quesitons asking for a comparison between Prologic II and Logic 7...sorry, since I haven't heard Prologic II yet, I can't compare the two. I can say that Prologic sources benefit greatly by L7. A good example is Raiders of the lost Ark. It really brought some life into the soundtrack. TV programs vary in effects. The Victoria Secret Fashion show (I was able to listen and watch at the same time) sounded as if it was recorded in 5.1 while listening in L7 mode. Something in mono doesn't offer anything in the sides or rear effects....but creates a front soundstage (benefits vary by program).
One last very positive point about the MC-1. It was a breeze to set up. The manual is well written. The remote is layed out very nicely and the on-screen menus were well thought out. Really easy to set up. I worried it was going to be a tough assignment when the manual is 75 pages long and an additional book comes in the box on the theory of sound (or something to that effect).

J

John Morris

Ron: Congrats on your new system control panel! I guess we know where the next local meet is gonna be...
biggrin.gif

How did you like the MC-1 for two channel music? Was it quiet? Does it have an analog bypass? Does it have a 5.1 direct input with full analog bypass for SACD playback?
Thanks.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on November 18, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
let me congratulate you... (and gloat a tad:). I just did similar thing.
My situation is different - my TV room is set up and working, no changed in audio on agenda for next 18-24 months. I still have a second room - living room 2 stories high, 17x19x32, with openings to kitchen and other rooms. approx 9000 cu f. Major pain to fill up with sound.
Well, few weeks ago I brought from Canada 2 pairs of Active-40. That made some difference, when driven by Denon-3300 in matrix mode. Today I visited my friendly dealer in Laurel, MD - they have some kind of sale - and was presented with possibility to get a pair of Studio-ADP (to make a full set f Reference line), and .... MC-1. They did not had a DC-2 (I do not need video track), but they had a trade-in MC1. After some haggling, I was on my way home lighter of 3k$, but with speakers and MC-1 in trunk.
Let's hook it, and do a quick calibration; source is a cd-changer in another room, DAC-Denon-5800. Logic-7, cup of coffe...
What a difference... much more bass, very good dynamics. All speakers are set to large - untill I get out of doghouse, make some moneuy, order SVS. Seamless enveloping; without having a chance to set panorama, still it is marvellous. I would have a hard time deciding between Denon 5/7 stereo and party mode; for now it is L-7.
BTW, if anyone want to swap DC-2 for MC-1 with some additional $$ changing hands, I am open to such idea.
Back to listening...
_zjt

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Hey John:

I never listen to 2 Ch music through that system...so I can't answer your questions. And, if I remember analog bypass is not possible, but I can't say with 100% certainty, By the way, it will be a long drive to my house. I'm now living in Kansas City, Mo (but you are always welcome!!).

ZJT:

Congrats on a very intelligent choice!

derek

Second Unit
Ron, could you be a bit more specific in your comparisons between the Technics 500 vs 5700 vs. MC-1 regarding the high/low points of each?

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Derek, if you want to compare MC-1 vs Denon 3300 vs Denon %800 (sorry, no Technics at hand), we can arrange a small HTF meeting at my place - I am half way between Dulles and Leesburg.

_zjt

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Derek:

It's been over 6 months since I had the Denon in my system. Of all the improvements listed above, the only area that Denon competed in was the front soundstage. But, it did suffer from center channel bleeding into the right/left channels at times. Otherwise the Lex was superior in all of the area's listed in my first post.

To compare the Technics with the Lex isn't fair. The difference between the two is the difference between an HD signal and cable.

The Technics for it's price point is a nice unit. My one complaint is the bass crossover is 100, so I felt I lost some mid-range from the AT 350's.

Ron

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Merc asks:

How did you like the MC-1 for two channel music? Was it quiet? Does it have an analog bypass? Does it have a 5.1 direct input with full analog bypass for SACD playback?

The MC1 doesn't have any form of analog bypass whatsoever. It is all digitized. That is the one complaint some folks have with it. For myself It doesn't matter as I would go full on HT w/o zero music on this type of unit.

This might affect Darrel McBane's questions too as I know he is a 2 channel guy(atleast I've seen in the posts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks