What's new

3D An Advance Look at "3-D Rarities" from the 3-D Film Archive and Flicker Alley (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The one at the zoo is A SOLID EXPLANATION. It's okay.

If I had money to burn, I would try for OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT strictly for the animation angle. I thought it was good.

Because of the licensing costs AND the music clearance, it's pretty unlikely the Universal shorts will ever see a release. It's too bad because they're pretty good, with HAWAIIAN NIGHTS being the best of the group.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Bob, do you believe there is a chance for Popeye, Ace of Space (1953) and Third Dimensional Murder (1941) to be released in 3D in the near future?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm not sure where the rights are with Popeye at the moment.

So far as the Pete Smith short, that's with Warner Bros. Sadly, their 3-D releases have not included any shorts.

I'm not optimistic.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Bob Furmanek said:
If I had money to burn, I would try for OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT strictly for the animation angle. I thought it was good.

... you may be aware that The Owl and the Pussycat is actually coming to blu-ray, also in June. I tried to contact the official Halas and Batchelor site as well as the distibutor Network, to inquire if they'd be releasing the 3-D version of the short and to encourage them to do so, but that was about a month ago and I never heard back from them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halas-Batchelor-Collection-Blu-ray-Whateley/dp/B001QT451E

They haven't mentioned anything about 3-D in the product descrption, so I'm doubtful, but still hoping. I'd see it as a missed opportunity.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Do the BFI have a digitized 3-D version of that? I presume at this stage their disc is close to finalized, so I dunno if it'd be possible to change whatever their plans are.

I'm so glad you were able to license the Mclaren films. I look forward to seeing what you can do with those Lippert shorts somewhere down the line. I was also wondering if you plan to include the Top Banana 3-D material in some later release. I suppose that'd just be the trailer, only partly in 3-D.

Incidentally any 3-D trailers you can include in later releases will always be welcome extras. I'd like to think they might raise interest and lead to 3-D releases down the line, but if nothing else it's good to have a taste of what these films had to offer.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I wish I knew. My correspondence with the BFI has been minimal and not very fruitful, I'm afraid.

We might use more trailers on future projects, thanks!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Interdimensional said:
... you may be aware that The Owl and the Pussycat is actually coming to blu-ray, also in June. I tried to contact the official Halas and Batchelor site as well as the distibutor Network, to inquire if they'd be releasing the 3-D version of the short and to encourage them to do so, but that was about a month ago and I never heard back from them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halas-Batchelor-Collection-Blu-ray-Whateley/dp/B001QT451E

They haven't mentioned anything about 3-D in the product descrption, so I'm doubtful, but still hoping. I'd see it as a missed opportunity.

Run Time: 2325 minutes on Amazon. Thats some pretty long shorts! :lol:

Dstevenb

Grip
Real Name
Dwight
Ordered and included a link to purchase on my facebook page. This looks reaaly good and it will be a joy watching in 55" 3d glory!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
From THRILLS FOR YOU.

Thrills-glasses (2).gif

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Bob, got another question about the Burlesque shorts. I was at your site and counted 13 of them having been done, 8 by Sonny, and 5 others. Something Weird has anaglyphs on six and a flat copy of I'll Sell My Shirt. How many of the 13 (14 if you count College Capers) does the Archive actually have? I'm just curious. I know they're all pretty terrible shorts, but if you did have all 13 and could be bothered with restoring them, you could always do a 3D Blu Ray called When 3D Was Naughty. :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
So far, we've restored three of the Sonney shorts. The elements are in rough shape and rapidly deteriorating. We're going to get to the remaining titles as soon as we can. I'LL SELL MY SHIRT needed a LOT of work!

The faded anaglyphs previously seen and released from old prints are useless. We need to work with the original left/right elements.

The Sonney shorts are not terrible at all. In fact, they're a fascinating record of mid-century burlesque comedy. The Beetlepuss Lewis & Charlie Crafts routine in 3-D RARITIES is pretty funny. It's played very well at our test screenings!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Please note: since the initial content list was published, there has been a slight modification.

The 3 minutes of Lumière test footage is no longer available for this release. We regret this change and still hope that you will enjoy the many other rare treasures and supplemental bonus features.

This specially-curated collection of 3-D RARITIES runs 147 minutes.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Now I'm more sad than ever that my 3d Panasonic plasma did not come with any glasses when I bought it in 2011 from amazon. And since Panasonic glasses cost hundreds of dollars per pair, I'll never use the 3d features. Otherwise I'd definitely be buying this.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
eBay has many 3D glasses that work with Panasonic 3D TV's. I'm not sure which ones work with your TV.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I guess whoever my seller was finally sold out of these, but they work perfectly with my Panasonic VT25 (2010 model), and are even more comfortable and seemingly better built than Panasonic's. I got them for a close-out price of around $18.

http://goo.gl/H3OADJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks