What's new

Attention 3D Enthusiasts: Please help get MONEY FROM HOME on 3D Blu-ray from Olive Films (1 Viewer)

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
Watching a film where the cinematography was actually composed for 3D, such as Money From Home, in 2D is like watching a color film in B&W, or a stereo film in mono. I want to see a film the way the film makers intended to be seen, and as such I will not be buying a 2D bluray. Further, releasing a 2D bluray will siphon off enough buyers to make a future 3D bluray even more economically unfeasible. Olive, you have seriously offended me. There is nothing I need to own bad enough to do business with a company that treats it's customers like dirt.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I got a similar e-mail response from Olive Films. If anything, this may let them see that many want this and maybe they will one day consider a signature 3d bluray. I keep wondering why they say "our 2017 release" and not just our bluray. Could that be speculation that perhaps 2018 or 2019 they might reconsider a 3d bluray? or is that wishful thinking on my part?

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Received Olives email and oh so disappointed, but it at least confirms to me anyway by the tone of it that they may have perhaps been the wrong ones to handle such valuable 3D cargo of this quality. Just my personal opinion and with love for the boys in it.

So, if it needs help from some sort of Kickstarter you can count me in if it were possible. With such a fine world class cast in this, the only Dean and Jerry feature film in 3D ever and a studio like Paramount this must happen and I will commit what I can.

Ultimately who would not grasp the chance to see two of the finest entertainers topping the A list in 3D? Come on!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure if it will help, but I sent an email in to support the cause.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And it only took them 3 minutes to reply with the canned response already listed.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I imagine we are all thoroughly disappointed about MONEY FROM HOME, but this situation points up how much we have to be thankful for in Kino Lorber's support of vintage 3-D on Blu-Ray.

How about one more e-mail, everybody? How about a quick line to Kino Lorber thanking them for all they do for us 3-D fans, and telling them how much we all look forward to their upcoming Paramount releases? If you've pre-ordered THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, maybe mention that too.

Kino Lorber deserves to hear kudos for their diligence and hard work.

From their very own website:

[email protected]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The responses received, especially the one to Ron about the street date being set in stone, suggest to me that the disc has already been authored and replicated, and has been shipped to retailers or soon will be. If that's the case, it's understandable that they wouldn't want to do a recall. Unfortunately, the time to have reached out to them might have been before it got so far along in manufacturing, but obviously we didn't know to ask.

I'm not sure that anything can change a company's mind if they've decided on what they're going to do. And since the number of people who will read this post on this forum and respond is less than the number of 3D enthusiasts in existence, they probably won't get enough emails to think, "Holy crap, we've made an unimaginable mistake". I fear that they'll get just enough emails to think there are a few crazies out there, enough to give the impression that there's not a 3D audience out there. But, on the other hand, I wonder how many other not-officially-announced titles get any sort of email traction. I think overall it's a good thing for us to have written, even if we ultimately do not get the desired response.

I bet that last night, this wasn't on Olive's radar at all. By this afternoon, they've had to create a form letter to handle the responses. I hope they, and other similar companies, eventually recognize that us 3D enthusiasts can make a small but not insignificant contribution to their bottom line. I hope Bob Furmanek doesn't mind me sharing this, but he once told me (referring to Kino's releases of 3D Film Archive titles) that Kino's not looking to get rich on the 3D titles, that they cared about getting them out there, and that as long as they weren't losing a fortune on it, they were worth doing. I wish more companies would take that kind of attitude to heart. And the thing is, by supporting the release of 3D titles that aren't guaranteed to be giant sellers, they're building so much good will with me that I'm now more likely to make blind buys of other (non-3D) Kino titles. It's not even a payback thing, but simply, since I've enjoyed the 3D titles I've blindly bought from both a technical and artistic point of view, I'm more willing to give other Kino titles a chance with the knowledge that they've got a good library and that I tend to enjoy the stuff they release.

I think the surest way to success for a boutique home video label in 2017 is building good will among the shrinking group of physical media supporters, and the surest way to shoot yourself in the foot is to engender bad will among that same group.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sadly, a flat release on Blu-ray seriously jeopardizes the chance of this film ever getting a 3-D release on Blu-ray for all the reasons already stated in this thread.

Unless, after the Olive license has expired, someone like Kino could pick up on it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And it only took them 3 minutes to reply with the canned response already listed.

God, that must have required about three keystrokes from them. Highly personalized response. Good for Olive, a true customer-friendly company. The Black Book comes out of the drawer.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Late to the party here, just caught up with this.

What a hopeful and exciting start to the day, and what a THUD of a conclusion.

What a missed opportunity!

No sale, Olive.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I see a few posts detailing the possible reasons for this were either edited or deleted, glad I got to read them earlier and would love to hear the whole story!

Anyways, although Olive has put out a number of great titles and a ton of movies that likely would NEVER be on Blu-Ray otherwise, they really don't seem to know what they're doing. Their earlier Blu-Rays had obvious compression artifacts, including Dragonfly Squadron. They eventually got better on that, but they put out "Cheech and Chong's Corsican Brothers" AND "Fatal Beauty" with MONO sound, despite those being released in Dolby Stereo and every format they'd been on previously was in stereo! How in the world could that slip past "Quality Control"? They also put out "Last American Virgin" and "Fatal Instinct" with music replacements without mentioning that anywhere on the packaging- oddly enough Fatal Instinct has a commentary track WITH the original music but on the main track it's been replaced!

Seeing as how the word is that older movies don't sell very well anymore, you'd think that the people who still do buy them would be the most picky about quality, and Olive doesn't seem to see that or have very much internal quality control. While I'm grateful for some of the titles they've put out, their previous screw-ups and now this doesn't make them look good at all.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Unless, after the Olive license has expired, someone like Kino could pick up on it.

Unless Kino decides to expand their territory into Region B like Criterion and Arrow have, it's unlikely that they'll fund a 3-D restoration. Kino is fine with breaking even, but they won't lose money on a title. These 3-D titles need buyers with regular HDTV's to buy the title or else it's unlikely to break even. With Olive flooding the market with DVD's and 2-D Blu-Ray's on top of the DVD's already published by Legend, a 3-D release likely won't work in Region A unless there's a Kickstarter campaign.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Morning all from this side of the pond.
To wrap up my own thoughts, Olive most disappointing circular mail and now off our radar here. Perhaps one day we many have the opportunity to put some money into the 3D project, that's if we are still breathing.

I will take the guidance above and support Kino to the limit as I have done with all the classic 3D Blu-Rays and beloved Bela Lugosi films. Off topic sorry but also a passion of mine. You never know another distributor may throw something from the 3D screen to fans, I for one was pretty amazed when Jaws 3D came out from Universal.

Enjoy your 3D film friends :thumbs-up-smiley:

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I also just wrote along the same lines. Seems they are digging their heels in for the 2-D only. Makes no sense and they do repeat themselves in that standard reply which I assume I will also get back from them. One would think if Paramount was interested in Bob's plan that that would clinch it? Head in the sand attitude from Olive.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not to be the naysayer here, but the cost to create a restored 3-D version of a 3-strip film, done properly, would be astronomical, and not financially feasible without pre-sales at a high street price.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Not to be the naysayer here, but the cost to create a restored 3-D version of a 3-strip film, done properly, would be astronomical, and not financially feasible without pre-sales at a high street price.
I don't know what elements Bob planned on using for Money From Home but he has shown about the best "bang for the buck" results around with his restorations previously. If we don't get to see something ever because it can't be done "properly", then I'll take the best he can do. Okay, he probably can't do a from-the-ground-up restoration on Money from Home like Warner did on House Of Wax. He has shown, however, he can get really good results with his specialized team using less-than-optimal elements. His work on Inferno is great, using IB positive prints. Look what his team did with the faded elements on Gog and Those Redheads From Seattle. The best Bob Furmanek and his team can do is good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks