What's new

3D An Advance Look at "3-D Rarities" from the 3-D Film Archive and Flicker Alley (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm amazed that your Panasonic didn't come with at least one pair! I thought they all did. Mine in 2010 came with three pairs on a Best Buy/Magnolia deal. It's too bad the frames were so shoddily made that now only one of those pairs survives.

Jbug

Agent
Real Name
June
Interdimensional said:
... you may be aware that The Owl and the Pussycat is actually coming to blu-ray, also in June. I tried to contact the official Halas and Batchelor site as well as the distibutor Network, to inquire if they'd be releasing the 3-D version of the short and to encourage them to do so, but that was about a month ago and I never heard back from them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halas-Batchelor-Collection-Blu-ray-Whateley/dp/B001QT451E

They haven't mentioned anything about 3-D in the product descrption, so I'm doubtful, but still hoping. I'd see it as a missed opportunity.

I hate when folks don't reply. It was a legitimate correspondence.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hi Bob,

The following is listed for the Hollywood 3d titles:

M.L. Gunzburg Presents Natural Vision 3-Dimension (1952)

It Came from Outer Space trailer (1953)

Rocky Marciano vs. Jersey Joe Walcott (1953)

Hannah Lee trailer (1953)

Stardust in Your Eyes (1953)

The Maze trailer (1953)

Doom Town (1953)

The Adventures of Sam Space (1960)

I’ll Sell My Shirt (1953)

Miss Sadie Thompson trailer (1953)

Boo Moon (1953)

But I don't see this listed (came from your web site)

ICFOS_RUSS_02.gif

ICFOS_RUSS_03.gif

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Mostly flat, or what were called "2D for 3D" trailers.

There were only a dozen or so "3D for 3D" trailers. They were made to follow the 3-D feature.

In fact, the ICFOS trailer has the original notice at the beginning telling people to keep their glasses on for a preview of the next 3-D attraction!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
How come the trailer for "It Came from Outer Space" is available for restoration/distribution but not the movie itself? Does someone other than Universal own the rights to the trailer?

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
...There were only a dozen or so "3D for 3D" trailers. They were made to follow the 3-D feature...

I'm a little confused. If ICFOS was Universal's first 3-D feature, what did the 3-D trailer play with?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
3-D features that were in release at the same time include Bwana Devil, House of Wax, Man in the Dark, Fort Ti and Sangaree.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Jbug said:
... you may be aware that The Owl and the Pussycat is actually coming to blu-ray, also in June. I tried to contact the official Halas and Batchelor site as well as the distibutor Network, to inquire if they'd be releasing the 3-D version of the short and to encourage them to do so, but that was about a month ago and I never heard back from them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halas-Batchelor-Collection-Blu-ray-Whateley/dp/B001QT451E

They haven't mentioned anything about 3-D in the product descrption, so I'm doubtful, but still hoping. I'd see it as a missed opportunity.

I hate when folks don't reply. It was a legitimate correspondence.

I should say that Network have since responded, and I need to correct myself, their response came 2 weeks to the date of my inquiry to them(I had contacted H&B back in February).

unfortunately..

Thank you for your email.

A 3D version of this film is not something that we are doing for this
release. It may be something that we are able to arrange for a future
edition but this is not something that is currently scheduled.

Kind regards,
Network

I'd like to hope such an edition will materialize, but it seems a slim hope. Perhaps if I'd got in touch sooner there might've been time to change the plan; it may have been a case of being unaware rather than unwilling.

I was hoping I'd be able to compare their 3-D with Boo Moon in June. Oh well.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Bob, I'm wondering about the trailer for Hannah Lee.

I saw the feature at one of the Expos. Perhaps you will agree it has excessive amounts of positive parallax, which on that particular film can be measured in feet instead of inches. It is very difficult to fuse the left and right images. I wondered for a long time if this were the fault of the Stereo-Cine camera rig. But much of the Marciano-Walcott fight was filmed with the same camera system, and when I finally saw that one at Expo III, I was absolutely pleased with the beautiful 3-D.

In prepping the trailer for the upcoming Rarities release, did you and Greg have to correct the stereo window placement? And if you happen to know any information, would you care to comment on what may have gone the matter in the original photography for the feature Hannah Lee?

I hasten to add, if by some miracle the current rights holder ever allowed a Blu-Ray release of Hannah Lee, I'd buy two copies in a heartbeat.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm going to ask Greg to respond but I don't believe the trailer has the excessive parallax issues that are found throughout the surviving prints of the feature.

For that reason, I believe the problem may have been introduced by Pathe Labs during printing. In fact, Jack Broder ultimately sued the lab for "botching the lab work and ruining the films potential."

The trailer needed a great deal of restoration work to prep for the Blu-ray, including very severe color fade mis-matching between the panels. The final result is stunning and illustrates just how good it can look with a bit of TLC!

Sadly, the current rights holder has had elements for nearly 30 years and has never bothered to inspect them. He "thinks" he has left/right materials but isn't sure. I offered to inspect and evaluate (for free) but he declined. Sigh...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Furmanek said:
Sadly, the current rights holder has had elements for nearly 30 years and has never bothered to inspect them. He "thinks" he has left/right materials but isn't sure. I offered to inspect and evaluate (for free) but he declined. Sigh...

Sigh... this I don't understand.

I understand (don't agree with, but understand what they're thinking) Paramount turning down Gretchen Wayne's 3D "Hondo" master, or Universal's seeming disinterest in putting out their other classic 3D titles, or Warner only doing one classic 3D title a year, or Sony not rushing to put out Blu-rays for titles they already have 3D masters of, etc., etc. I don't agree with the thinking and the decision making, but I can usually put on my business hat and understand why they're not putting out the thing I want in the timeframe I want it.

But I just don't get how someone would turn down an offer like that from you. If you're the rights holder for a particular title, wouldn't you want to know what you have? I could understand the mystery rights holder saying, "Bob, I appreciate your work in inspecting these elements, but I just don't think it's worth the cost at this time to get them into playable shape". But the whole putting the head in the sand thing and not even being interested in taking care of your elements? I don't get it at all. I don't want to sound too harsh towards someone I've never met and who may have perfectly reasonable motivations that we just don't know about, but that said, it doesn't sound like responsible ownership to me.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
His attitude was "The elements are safe in deep storage so there's no reason to touch them."

But if you don't know what you have and film cans have not been opened in over 3 decades, that's a recipe for disaster.

Google the term Vinegar Syndrome.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Furmanek said:
His attitude was "The elements are safe in deep storage so there's no reason to touch them."

But if you don't know what you have and film cans have not been opened in over 3 decades, that's a recipe for disaster.

Google the term Vinegar Syndrome.
At the very least, I thank you for fighting the good fight, Bob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks