What's new

3D An Advance Look at "3-D Rarities" from the 3-D Film Archive and Flicker Alley (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Richard, the link is just below the artwork.

Order2.JPG

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Hi, Bob, I want you and Greg and Jack and everyone else involved to know I've already ordered my two copies. Thank you so much for all you have done and continue to do.

I am absolutely delighted with the line-up on this disk, so what I'm about to ask is purely out of curiosity, and not meant as any kind of criticism or veiled grumpiness:

I was half expecting to find Stereo Laffs (aka A Day in the Country), Campus Panty Raids, and the trailer for Gun Fury on this disk. Are you able to mention the present status of these particular items?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you for all your orders and support!

Mike, the two Lippert shorts only exist in VERY faded anaglyphic prints. We were originally planning to include them but felt that with further restoration, we could extract better left/right masters. I'd rather take our time to release the best possible version. Rest assured, they will be included on a future release.

So far as the trailer, we had to keep the set at the 150 minute mark and there simply wasn't room.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Bob Furmanek said:
So far as the trailer, we had to keep the set at the 150 minute mark and there simply wasn't room.

Makes sense. 5 hrs of HD content (2.5 per eye) is about the compression maximum of a BD-50 without sacrificing quality.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Todd J Moore said:
Ahh...sounds like there could be a Volume Two down the line! I like that idea! :D

I'm in for Vol. 2--There's so much pioneering pre-50's material on the disk, seems like there should be some of the Golden Age left for a second collection.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
To be honest, there is more material but the cost of licensing is a killer.

This entire project was done entirely out of pocket and I'm not a rich man.

Thankfully, the great people at the National Film Board of Canada were VERY supportive and gave us a rate we could afford to license their four newly restored Norman McLaren films.

On the flip side, I tried to license some material from the BFI and the rates were exorbitant. I tried negotiating (ie pleading) with no success.

So they have several wonderful restored 3-D films from 1951/52 that nobody will get to see...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
More's the pity. Shame on you, BFI! These releases are labors of love and, we hope, some small profit. Bob has to eat, after all his efforts!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob Furmanek said:
To be honest, there is more material but the cost of licensing is a killer.

This entire project was done entirely out of pocket and I'm not a rich man.

Thankfully, the great people at the National Film Board of Canada were VERY supportive and gave us a rate we could afford to license their four newly restored Norman McLaren films.

On the flip side, I tried to license some material from the BFI and the rates were exorbitant. I tried negotiating (ie pleading) with no success.

So they have several wonderful restored 3-D films from 1951/52 that nobody will get to see...

I've seen some of the BFI's 3D material and whilst I deplore their mercenary attitude, tbh you're not missing much.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I know, I've seen the shorts. It would have been nice to include at least one in the set. They're exceptionally well photographed even if they are a bit on the dull side.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Is the one at the zoo...I'm blanking on the name here...one of the BFI shorts? If so, that might be one of the few worth a darn. Maybe The Owl and the Pussycat, too. Nah. Owl and the Pussycat sucked.

If you were gonna license, I'd almost suggest trying for the Universal musical shorts. All three of them were spectacular. What about The Black Swan short?

I know, I know. I'm getting carried away. There again, there's only a few 3D shorts not on the disc that I'd really dig seeing again. This looks fantastic, I have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks