What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Attention 3D Enthusiasts: Please help get MONEY FROM HOME on 3D Blu-ray from Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
At this point, it's worth mentioning: after all the hard work and favors we pulled in December 2014 to make this happen, their cost for a fully-restored 3-D master was going to be $6,000.00.

Is Olive doing this out of spite?

Heck, we could raise the $6k for them through an Internet fundraiser.

Would they be happy with that?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
At this point, it's worth mentioning: after all the hard work and favors we pulled in December 2014 to make this happen, their cost for a fully-restored 3-D master was going to be $6,000.00.
Is it just a matter of the money with Olive, or is it like MGM and The Alamo where they just seem to be stubborn for some other reason?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, over a temper tantrum and spite this company is depriving fans the opportunity to own this film in 3D as it was originally released.

THAT is BIZARRE and very very SAD!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got a similar version of that letter. Unfortunately, I will not be buying this 2D release. Haven't decided if I should politely respond with that, or let their letter go unanswered - not sure that further communication would make a difference.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got a similar version of that letter. Unfortunately, I will not be buying this 2D release. Haven't decided if I should politely respond with that, or let their letter go unanswered - not sure that further communication would make a difference.

I wrote back and proposed that the Internet community would raise the $6k needed to restore this film.

I am certain there will be no further reply, but I put it out there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Good idea. I just wrote back a very quick response, thanking them for their time, reiterating that I have no interest in a 2D version, but would gladly pay a premium price for a 3D version should they reconsider.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Since it was only $6000.00, I'm surprised Paramount couldn't pay for it since they would own the DCP, let alone the publicity from it showing at the TCM Festival would be a good thing.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I replied to their stock email:

Hello Olive Films,
I've purchased a lot of your films in Blu-ray...and I mean a lot. This decision not to release Money From Home in 3-D is very disappointing to me and countless others who feel you really let down the 3-D enthusiasts, Jerry Lewis fans, and people who appreciate film's heritage.
I won't be buying any 2-D only version.
John

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wrote back and proposed that the Internet community would raise the $6k needed to restore this film.

I am certain there will be no further reply, but I put it out there.

I was wrong....

Hi again Ron,

We appreciate the enthusiasm and support demonstrated by this. Our decision for the 2017 release to feature the Standard version of the film was due to a wide variety of reasons. While we're very humbled by your community's offer, it won't affect the 2017 release of the film. At the moment, this May 30th Standard version release is set in stone. We do listen to and take customer input into consideration, so thank you for reaching out again.

Best regards,
Olive Films

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I got the same cookie-cutter response as your (initial) reply, Ronald, and yours, Allen -- though of course they took the time to personalize your response with a nod to your Dragonfly Squad reference.

So it seems they're saying, yes, it will be in 2D.... but gorgeous 2D.... (pfffft!)

Maybe the operative wording here is "At this present time"....

Anyway, at least they took the time to respond, which is more than you can say about many (most?) DVD distributors. Which makes it all the more surprising they wouldn't take the extra time and effort to do this right.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
MONEY FROM HOME flat is sub-par Martin and Lewis. Seeing it in 3-D brings the film to life and makes all the difference in the world.

The only reason it was seen flat in 1954 theatrically was 3-D was dying at the boxoffice and many theaters lacked the equipment to project it properly.

There's no excuse for a flat Blu-ray in 2017.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I will not be buying this title, either. If Olive had the means of getting this out in 3D and then refused to do so based upon one phone exchange, then furthermore, I have lost faith in Olive in general.

This entire thread will be e-mailed by me to Olive, not that it will produce any results other than a form letter in return.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I have a few questions.

1) When does Olive Films' license for Money From Home (1953) end?

2) What are the options we have going forward after Olive Films' loses the license? Will a foreign publisher (Panamint, Indicator, etc) be interested in doing it for a region B release? Kickstarter campaign?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
There's no excuse for a flat Blu-ray in 2017.

Bob, if nothing else, a DVD distributor (presumably... if they're logical...) will act in their self-interest.... telephone-temper-tantrums notwithstanding. So that begs the question, What data do the distributors (or we...) have at this stage that would point up the wisdom in opting for 3D over 2D when presented the options?

At this point we've got several '50s classics of varying genres (and some '60s-'70s not-so-classics for which many of us stepped up to the plate) that have been released in 3D blu ray by various studios/distributors. What have the sales trends been? Do we 3D enthusiasts have "case studies" to present to the distributors, to convince them they're leaving real money on the table if they issue titles in 2D over 3D?

I realize Olive Films may not open up their P&L to you, but did they not do well financially with Dragonfly Squadron? And, if not, why not? If Olive's experience with Dragonfly was not sufficient to persuade them to do another 3D release, maybe there's a lesson there? Maybe a tweak to the pricing and/or marketing might make the difference?

Like any other business, they're going to rely on internal and external data. If 3D sales have outstripped 2D sales for the same -- or comparable -- '50s titles, that's the pitch to these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks