What's new

American Gladiators 2008 (1 Viewer)

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
what boggles my mind is why nobody gets a running start on that thing. Yes the mat from the previous section is about what looks like 10 ft back, but start running hard on that mat, then your momentum should carry you easily to the rope and climb up much easier. But they all just try to do it with no momentum. I guess it is much easier to see that when youre not in the heat of the competition

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think by the time they get to the travelator they are about beat, too tired to get that good running start.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The travellator was the subject of many tweaks during the original run. When it first appeared, it was at the beginning of the course and players could run up the ramp if they failed after three attempts. Later, it was moved to the end of the course, and only two attempts were necessary. Finally, the contestant had to attempt the travellator for a full minute before being allowed to use the ramp. Since the best times so far have been around the 2:30 mark, this last solution would be no good at all. I think the best thing would be to move it to the beginning if they aren't going to let people bypass it, or keep it at the end and give them a certain amount of attempts before they can move on.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Episode 3 recap

Monica just owned the Eliminator tonight.

They still did the annoying prepare for the event, then take a break but I only recall it happening once tonight. One time too many still as I don't like it.

The men's contestants were both charismatic guys and actually the women had some personality as well.

Hulk is still Hulk but when he rattles off 5 or 6 catchphrases in just a few seconds it can be a site to behold.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Last night's episode was my first one and actually I enjoyed it. The kids were all over it and the wife (surprisingly) enjoyed it as well. That guy getting hurt in the first round was a surprise that makes the show interesting. I thought the gymnast would be the underdog and weak but she had some really great moves over the bull riding, horse riding, trash talking chick in the blue.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Hebrew Hammer was either the third or fourth person (Contender and Gladiator) to get hurt so far this season. That has to worry someone on the production side.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I believe all of the people hurt (where they had to forfeit) were injured in the basketball competition.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, in the news and notes column I posted on my website yesterday, I linked an article which shad quotes from NBC, chiefly Ben Silverman, which said that they did indeed test the Gladiators for steroids. It also said that they signed an agreement subjecting them to tests at any time.

You can believe it or not believe it and quite frankly, even if they did test for steroids and everyone passed...it doesn't mean they're not using, it could mean they're just not getting caught.

As for HGH, considering no reliable test for HGH even exists yet, that would be a no. The best test available for HGH only works if the stuff has been taken within 72 hours of taking the test and that isn't going to cut it.

Hope that answered your question.

In other Gladiators news, another strong rating

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Last week American Gladiators finished #9 in adults 18-49 in all programs on television.

The things that were ahead of it were bigtime football games, Family Guy, CSI, L&O SVU, Grey's Anatomy, Extreme Makeover and Sarah Connor Chronicles (not necessarily in that order).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They keep saying the winner will have a shot at being the next American Gladiator, but all of the contestants are puny compared to the gladiators.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
unless there is some super stud or incredibly hot woman we havent seen yet, none of the contestants we have seen yet could be gladiators. At least not very good ones. So I doubt any of them will be.

Gina Carona, did have some pretty sweet throws in the one where the challengers have to get the balls in the buckets

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
American Gladiators is a lot of fun to watch. I'm now officially a fan.

I wonder why competitors have yet to dive head first to get under the floating column of fire when they tackle the Eliminator. In theory, it'd seem to be the best strategy as going in feet first seems counterproductive since they need to reorient their bodies in order to get to the other side. Otherwise, I wonder if diving is even permitted.

Seeing those who've so far made it into the final eight, barring elimination due to having the slowest times in the Eliminator, made me wonder how many shows are recorded in one day.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"I wonder why competitors have yet to dive head first to get under the floating column of fire"

I was wondering the same thing, and then I saw 1 woman just swim into an underwater metal bar and cut up her face. I think that bar would stop me from diving in head first, as I wouldn't want to run into it. With the way they are dropping like flies anyway, I'm sure there is something being said about diving in head first....

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Several, I seem to recall that the entire season was taped over the coarse of a couple of weekends. Could be wrong, but that's what is floating in my mind.

Regarding the contestants having a chance to be Gladiators. If you remember in the original show, that was supposed to be one of the prizes in the first season as well but then was never mentioned again.

As for the size of these contestants, while the Gladiators are pretty big...a lot of them aren't what I would consider all that great. Besides, there are certain ways for people to put on size if they want to look like their co-workers and they can do it without failing a drug test. Now I'm not saying that any of these contestants would try to Uh, beat the system, if chosen to be a Gladiator only that it is...possible to do it.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
It must have been a treat to have seen the action live. I think I caught glimpses of cheerleaders in the audience areas. I'm guessing that, among other ways to foster crowd participation, they prompt the audience to give the Rome-gladiatorial-type thumbs down gesture or is that from earlier incarnations of the show?

Relatively speaking, Wolf appears to not be as large as some of the other gladiators. There's sheer size, then there's speed, agility, cunning, etc. Each gladiator has perhaps some varying proportion of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks