What's new

American Gladiators 2008 (1 Viewer)

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm not mistaken, the glads on the old show did different events while here, the same glads appear on the same events. Hell, Crush is hot, but is she the only one who will wrestle on that platform? How unphysical is Hellga anyway?

Also I miss the Breakthrough and Conquer.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I really though Crush was out of line for using her foot get the contestant to let go. At the end with the women, it was the most pitiful display I've seen. I can understand they were tired, but the bragging on how they were going make the top eight, then not even qualify was pathetic.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I knew Christine was out when she lost her shoes. You can't take the travellator in socks. I don't know what all the talk about tomboy was, though, because she looked all girl to me. :)

In the intro segment at least, Hellga looks like Kristin Chenoweth's butch sister.

Justice is a bit of a bastard. Once again, it looked like the contestant made the safe zone in Gauntlet, but Justice kept hitting and pounding to cost him the event. I forgot to go back and check before deleting the episode, so maybe you have to have your feet in the zone, but Son was definitely in it with his upper body.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Times after events on 01/14/08:
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/58/htf_imgcache_24099.png] [/url]

Times after events on 01/21/08:
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/5a/htf_imgcache_24100.png] [/url]

Why did Monica lose 20 seconds, and Molli lose an entire mintue? I think they even said "3:13" for Molivann, which is what made me notice. I think it's stupid that they aren't just letting the winners advance. Molivann was taking his time, waving at the crowd at the end of his race, because he knew he was destroying the other guy he was up against.

If they're going by strictly time, it shouldn't matter if you win or lose. Someone can lose in the 1st round with the 2nd best time, and not advance?

Theoretically, the 4th place person on their list can be the 7th or 8th best time, depending on how many contenders there are.

aldamon

Second Unit
I noticed the time changes, too because it was a big deal when Monica finished faster than Andy. What happened?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I hope this isn't the archaic way of thinking not to have a woman do better than a man. That would take the integrity right out of the whole show. I'm a fan of physical competition but that would just be wrong.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The timing deal is weird. Typically, they will give a time, call it unofficial, then calculate an official time later...but in that instance it is hard to imagine you'd be off to the degree that it is off in this case. It could just be a simple error. I really don't know.

I suspect but don't know for sure that this is done so they can use fields of 24 contestants instead of fields of 32 or 16. 16 gives you only 4 episodes of first round matchups, then 2 episodes of semis and then one final. Using 32 would give you 8 episodes of first round matchups 4 of second round, 2 of semis and then a final. It could be that NBC didn't want to commit to so many episodes especially for season one.

However, the problem you mention is an interesting one and not only possible but it is one I have a hard time imagining won't actually happen.

I guess their explanation would be that you're not really competing against the other guy so much as you are the entire field and honestly that's probably the best they could do.

Just IMO of course but I do agree it could be an issue and fun to see how they'd work around the potential problem.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Episode 5 recap

I thought Kim had a shot but then...the eliminator happened and her performance was so bad it might be a future disaster film.

The men's competition will be real interesting. Anthony is the only 1 who I didn't see compete in Round #1.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Some good competition with the men, but the chiropractor I thought was pretty funny with some of his evasive moves during the ball game, and hilarious when he was trying to dodge those 100lbs balls going across bridge. Sorry I forgot the names of the events nonetheless as far as the women were concern I was disappointed with Kim's performance during the eliminator. I said to my wife she might as well go around the course and the 46 year old woman looked like a man to me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

He and Laila Ali are the worst parts of the show, bar none. They need someone with a bit of charisma. These two just read off the prompter-badly.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Anthony was a pretty impressive athlete. I don't think his time stood for very long, though. At the time, it was the best of the show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked all the competitors, so I was sorry to see Anthony and Siene go. But, Evan and Shanay deserve to advance. Evan's great.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Semi-final episode 7 recap

So it is Evan and Alex in the men's final and Monica and Shanay in the women's final. I was hoping Preacher Andy would make it that guy entertained me greatly. They should make him host instead of Hogan.

The finale is Sunday but unless something dramatic happens I don't see how Evan and Monica don't end up winning. Monica and Shanay could be a closer contest but if Alex is going to beat Evan and his blazing eliminator times he's going to have to go in to that event with a big head start.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't know. I think Evan/Alex is going to be fun Eliminator to watch. Evan's quick, but Alex just doesn't give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks