What's new

American Gladiators 2008 (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That King of the Hill game looked intense. the Gladiators were throwing the contestants off like they were rag dolls. LOL

I felt bad for the Marine Woman. She knocked herself silly when she hit her head on the steel bar underwater. You could tell she was dazed for the rest of the course. Got to love those marines. She lept going and finished even with blood running down her face. Semper Fi.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The producers must tell the contestants to mouth off and be wise-arses.

And also. It's totaly unfair to the male contestants....They have to go against Superman! ;)

On a more perverted note.... I wouldn't mind being pinned down by some of the female gladiators. "Why..Hello." :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I enjoyed it. I thought they went over the top with some of the stuff (the multiple-angle replays of the contestant collapsing during the first Powerball game), but it didn't detract from the show too much.

I was afraid they were going to pull a "Deal or No Deal" and have a commercial break in the middle of an event, but thankfully they didn't do that.

I'll keep watching it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
They seemed to be trying to sneak a little off the Ninja Warrior with a few of the obstacles and having folks now fall into water instead of mats.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I watched episode 2 tonight, was busy last night so could not watch the premier. I also reviewed it for my website.

A few notes on the Gladiators. Toa is a cousin and stunt double for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Justice is Justice Smith who was a contestant in one of the WWE's Tough Enough contests.

Gina Carano, AKA Crush, is one of the top female mixed Martial Artists in the world and her next fight will be Feb. 16 on Showtime.

Wolf is just awesome.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see old friends on the HTF are checking out the show. I'm serving as the supervising sound editor on this one, so I popped in to see what the guys here we're saying about the show.

Of course, we had to finish all sound design and mixing on the first 3 hours in about 4 days... over the new years holiday: I didn;t sleep much last week.

Hope everyone keeps watching!

\Vince Maskeeper

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Very cool, Vince. (Not the lack of sleep, but the HTF connection.)

And yes, Gladiators has a Season Pass from me on the TiVO. As long as they're made, I'll be watching.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I liked the original but don't really remember how it was presented. This new version is horrible, though. What's with the multiple camera angles? The editing is terrible. Instead of being able to follow what's going on, it just makes it confusing. Sometimes, a simple wide shot is the best way to show something. The crowd reactions seem really fake and the hosts add nothing. Get rid of Hogan, brother.

Vince, nice to see you back here and nice to see you having some success in Hollywood.

~T

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am watching and liking this show. The only real complaint I would have is the places and ways they go to commercials. It seems sort of sudden. I guess that would be the "editing".

I really like that it is in HD. A lot of the reality shows are not so I appreciate it even more.

I don't mind Hulk.

It seems that this show is doing well in the ratings so hopefully we will get a full season.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It's funny to see the gladiators after the event and how they act. Wolf never gets out of his character. Even after he still glares and talks smack. While Titan seems to appreciate "amatuers" and compliments them after.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought this was awesome. When I first heard about the new version, I was worried that it would just be the AG name and nothing else. No, this feels exactly like the original and not a cheap knockoff like Battle Dome. I liked all of the contestants, and emphasizing their bios makes you root for a favorite the whole time. Anthony was an amazing athlete, and I hope he goes far. Siene made the eliminator look easy, though I know I'd still be trying to climb that cargo net a week later.

I hated the commercial placement, though. Building excitement by cutting to a commercial right after the whistle blows to start an event was a :thumbsdown:. There were a couple of times in the first episode where they would show one contestant finishing an event and then cut to a commercial before showing the other contestant's go at it, and I hope they will stop that practice as well. Also, the two hour premiere was a bit much, even for me. I hope three hours right off the bat wasn't overkill for the general audience, though Casey's posts suggests it might not have been a problem.

Finally, a new Knight Rider? If it's any good, it's another NBC show to add to my lineup. The majority of what I watch is on that network this year.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

I was laughing so hard when the Hulkster called that one contender 'brother' about 6 times in the course of 30 seconds!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The commercial placement on Monday's show bugged me more than it did on Sunday for some reason. Am I the only one who finds it amusing watching these people try to climb up the "travelator" (call it what it is - a treadmill). Although I feel bad when someone has a 30-second lead only to end up losing because they can't get past that part of the Eliminator.

It's not actually a show ... yet. They're airing a two-hour TV movie next month, which is basically acting as a pilot. If people like it, they'll likely pick it up as a series for next fall (pending resolution of the strike, of course).

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I actually get a bit annoyed. Since a guy lost the other day (he kicked ass in most of the competitions) that should have won.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The whole eliminator section sort of removes any advantage you get when you win the first 4 contests.

They might as well not give points for the first 4 rounds. 4 or 5 seconds isn't really much of an advantage when it comes to whether or not you can get up the treadmill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks