What's new

American Dad Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
There has been some discussion of American Dad in the Family Guy thread and I thought it was time to break this funny show out into it's own thread.

I gotta tell ya, American Dad has definately shown some great moments. I was afraid it was going to be too much like Family Guy, but I believe that it stands on it's own.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I only saw one ep so far (where they think the alien is dead). Please tell me the others are better than this episode.:frowning:

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I'm watching it, but i'm not enjoying it.

Granted there a few funny parts of the show, but I'm reading too much into this show and it's satire, but for many reasons i can't discuss it on this board.

I just read the Fox picked up AD for next season.

Paul

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have watched all the episodes so far, and probably will keep watching given the fact that it is on after FG.

So far I still have mixed feelings about the show. I think I would like it more if it weren't on after FG. Too similar I guess.

I am glad they explained how the Alien came to live there. I think they mentioned this in the episode on after the super bowl, but I can't remember.

I hope this means that they will explain the fish next :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, I thought it was great. At least they poke fun at both sides. Klaus wanting to be put in the washing machine with Francine's bras? I thought it was hilarious.

Yeah, I can see where some of the jokes could offend people for political/racial/whatever reasons. But hey, I have a thick skin and choose to find the humor in things.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a rip off after the first 2 episodes, but I have found it funnier during the past 2. I will keep watching it. It has some great moments...which makes me think that it is hurting Family Guy because they may have moved some of the jokes over to AD.

James T

Screenwriter

I don't think it hurts either show. It's the same with Futurama/Simpsons. If you have two different settings, the jokes will rarely cross over.

American Dad is pretty funny. Not as funny as Family Guy, but still pretty funny.

The best line from American Dad so far is when the Alien knocks out the two girls in the house and asks the brother, "Did you see them? The two black guys who did this." I was cracking up at that time. It was so wrong, but it caught me off guard. I'm surprised FOX let that on the air.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
James: Yeah that line is my favourite of the series thus far...

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I am becoming a fan of AD. At first I wasn't sure but its got some crazy humor that I am beginning to appreciate.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw the pilot and it caused me physical pain. I can't stand this show, not because its anti-conservative commentary borders on outright bigotry, but because it is not funny in the slightest.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've seen every episode so far as well, and the show has grown on me. I still find the humor to be far riskier than FG's, and even offended me a little. However I just let it slide because with this sort of schitzo humor, a bad or offensive joke is quickly replaced by a really funny one in the blink of an eye.

I like imagining that FG and AD are related to one another, you could almost imagine the two families living in the same nieghborhood, just on different streets, although I think that AD takes place in Washington so I know that isn't the case.

Although, with McFarlane's brand of humor, I can almost guarentee that a charactor or two will either be mentioned or even make an appearance on each other's show's at some point. :)

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
While I agree that some of the jokes can be way out there, I still enjoy this show just as much as Family Guy. I too often wonder if at some point we're gonna see a crossover episode between the shows. I think it could be really hilarious if they pull it off right. I put all the episodes on my computer so when I feel like watching them they're right there. Saves having to fumble with tapes or other recording devices.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
actually, i think its set in Langley, Virgina.. isnt that where the CIA HQ is? at least from what i remember of Mission Impossible it is :p)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Ive made several posts in the family Guy thread and thought i would make my way over here to. I like this show alot and have since the pilot episode. I think it is definitely taking some time for some people to warm up to it and getting over the initial thought of it being just a Family Guy clone.

Great episode last week to by the way.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, the pilot was not good. Everything after that has been excellent, in my opinion..

There does seem to be quite a few "black" jokes on the show. Did anyone notice the beginning of episode 105, after Stan completes his training excercise? There is a subtle racial joke in there. You see people sweeping up and carrying boxes but they are all black people.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone see the American Dad last week when they went to the Sci-Fi convention?

The funniest moment came when when the Star Wars Kid showed up to try to take on the dad. I was laughing for at least a minute. I think that was the funniest joke I've seen on the show so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks