What's new

Ghosts (US) (2021) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Has anyone seen the new American TV comedy series called GHOSTS? I watched the first two episodes and I found it to be totally unfunny. None of the actors playing ghosts were even the slightest bit funny. I will watch more episodes in the hope that it gets to improve. I have my doubts however. GHOSTS is the American version of the British series of the same name. I watched the 3 British seasons seen so far and it was indeed hilarious and it was a very addictive series to watch. All the actors playing ghosts were very funny and they also had a great script to work with. The writers of the American series need to watch the British series and see just how hilarious that was .I can't wait for series 4 to be screened. Why couldn't the British series be shown on American television rather than having to endure a woeful American remake of the classic British series?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have been loving it, the American version. (I don't have HBO Max so I can't check out the British original.) I think it has gotten stronger and more ingratiating each week, and now the ghosts are becoming individuals that I look forward to seeing on a weekly basis. I don't care for the husband character. He's a party poop who wears out his welcome quickly, but everyone else is a hoot.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We’ve watched 2-3 episodes and find it unfunny. Our main complaint is the ghosts aren’t real people but just card board cutouts. It’s like they had a list of stock characters to choose from and just checked off a few boxes. Yeah, I’m aware of the irony of complaining the ghosts aren’t real.

I didn’t know this was a remake and will check out the original on HBO MAX.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am really liking it. I went in with zero expectations and was wondering how it would work. I don't know the overall plan, but I hope we get to see the main ghosts eventually get "sucked off" as they call it. I really like that they are expanding her seeing ghosts to everywhere she goes. This opens up more possibilities.

If the series lasts long enough to get the hotel opened, I can see some really funny stuff could be possible with guests coming through.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Is the British series finished or ongoing?
Not sure if there will be a series 4. I do hope so as this British series is the funniest show that I have seen in a long, long time. Series 3 only recently finished. I watched 7 episodes of the American series and I still found it to be totally unfunny. Anyone who saw the British series will know just how hilarious it was. Every ghost was a brilliant character and each one so very funny. Incredible screenplay and superb acting . The American version is so pathetic in all cases.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just watched the first 4 episodes of the British version on HBO Max. I have to disagree with Peter. I think the new American version is better. It might just be whichever one you see first sets up your expectations. I am finding the British one just too British if that makes sense.

I usually like British humor but I am finding the fresher, American version more fun to watch. I like the "nerd" husband in the new one better than the "clueless" one in the British one as well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure if there will be a series 4. I do hope so as this British series is the funniest show that I have seen in a long, long time. Series 3 only recently finished. I watched 7 episodes of the American series and I still found it to be totally unfunny. Anyone who saw the British series will know just how hilarious it was. Every ghost was a brilliant character and each one so very funny. Incredible screenplay and superb acting . The American version is so pathetic in all cases.
I'll have to see if I can find the British version. I wasn't aware it was a copy of a Britcom. I generally love British comedy but have avoided the US series as the promos look just awful.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I just watched the first 4 episodes of the British version on HBO Max. I have to disagree with Peter. I think the new American version is better. It might just be whichever one you see first sets up your expectations. I am finding the British one just too British if that makes sense.

I usually like British humor but I am finding the fresher, American version more fun to watch. I like the "nerd" husband in the new one better than the "clueless" one in the British one as we

I usually like British humor but I am finding the fresher, American version more fun to watch. I like the "nerd" husband in the new one better than the "clueless" one in the British one as well.
Glad you like the American Version but as I said before, I found it to be TOTALLY unfunny. GHOSTS is supposed to be a comedy. British comedy is the best in my opinion, I find most American tv comedy series to be riddled non stop with canned laughter which I refuse to watch. The British and French know how to write comedy that is extremely hilarious like the British series of Ghosts was. American humor generally leaves me cold. DERRY GIRLS is another British series that is the funniest series that I have seen in many,many years. Several of my friends think the same. The third season has been delayed because of covid. Maybe the Irish accents in DERRY GIRLS would be too hard for some Americans to understand.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree that British comedy in general is good. I also agree it is different than American comedy. That doesn't necessarily make one better than the other.

I think everyone agrees that canned laughter is a bad thing and I have noticed that it is slowly going away, at least on the sitcoms I still watch. I will have to pay attention this week and see if Ghosts has canned laughter. I don't think so but I wasn't really looking out for it.

I think the other major reason the American version works better for me is the character archetypes were tweaked to be more relevant to us. I don't think the stiff upper lip British Army Officer is as funny to us, or the Bard.

I have actually watched the BBC version through the first episode of season 2. I am now worried if I keep watching it might be spoil some of the US versions plots. I think I will hold off watching more until the US version catches up.

It is actually quite interesting to able to compare the 2 version side by side like this and see what the writers did, what they kept from the original etc.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think the other major reason the American version works better for me is the character archetypes were tweaked to be more relevant to us. I don't think the stiff upper lip British Army Officer is as funny to us, or the Bard.
I’ve only watched one episode of the British versions and find the characters more real, more relevant. The American version characters are just caricatures to me. But that’s me and you are you.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I've enjoyed the US version so far. I liked Rose McIver in iZombie and here. Unless the UK version appears on BBCA I probably won't get a chance to watch it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So is the star Rose McIver
Ghosts-star-Rose-McIver-excited-to-return-to-supernatural.jpg

Or her two clones - Joanne Garcia or Amy Adams
art8.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've enjoyed the US version so far. I liked Rose McIver in iZombie and here. Unless the UK version appears on BBCA I probably won't get a chance to watch it.
We watched all of iZombie and I still missed that it was the same actress in Ghosts.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The more I get through the BBC version, the more I am sure that the main reason I like the US version better is the husband character.

Michael, in the BBC version, is just a horrible, selfish person some times and a complete moron most of the time. I can't sympathize with him at all.

In the US version the husband (Jay) is just a nerd. He is much nicer in general. This weeks episode he really enjoyed playing D&D with them and told Samantha that he was happy to not be an outsider for once. It felt like more true to life (so to speak).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
He has been my least favorite character from the beginning, but this week gave me a good reason to warm toward him, and I'm slowly enjoying his presence as part of the cast. Sure have missed Thorfinn the last two weeks, however.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I do hope they get more into why the ghost are still trapped. What the unfinished business was that is keeping them there. I would have thought that Pete would have been "sucked off" after his story about his ex and seeing his grandchild. What is keeping him here now?

I think it would be cool if they would rotate out (suck off) one of the ghosts from time to time by having Samantha help resolve the issue. This would clear the way to bring in a new ghost/character. The BBC version has not done any of this (yet?) so I guess that is not where the story is going.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have enjoyed the American "Ghosts" I was a bit disappointed in the latest episode, "Trevor's Pants". It was OK but not the best episode.

The odd thing is that for hundreds of years the ghosts have remained the same . Nothing happened to them until Jay and Samantha came to live in the house and in the short period they have lived there all of the sudden there is much growth in how the ghosts relate to each other..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks