What's new

Amazon Feud with Disney, Warner (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Kino direct doesn't outside of NY and KY and Deep Discount as well

I looked up my state's laws and it turns out internet sales tax is not collected from "smaller" e-commerce sites, for whatever reason. The things you learn!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As to Amazon, they have become largely unusable to me. I live in an apartment building, and about 6 months ago Amazon has started using their own delivery drivers. The drivers are supposed to deliver to the front desk, but instead they just show up and call me to be let in. If I'm not home (which is 90% of the time they deliver) they send the package back as undeliverable. My building's management has contacted Amazon, put up signs, but these drivers flat out don't speak English and nothing gets through to them.

If Amazon have half a brain - and they have more than that - they will quickly discover that using people like that is losing them business and they will change their arrangements.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A couple things to note:

Amazon is now saying that Rogue One is in stock for immediate shipment and Prime delivery on Friday if I were to order within the next four hours. Obviously, I don't need another copy since I already got it from Wal-Mart on the first week of availability, but up until now Amazon has marked it as "Temporarily out of stock." I wonder, if they finally have a permanent stock, if this might be a sign that the Disney feud is close to ending.

The real test, of course, will be when we can pre-order the next newly announced Disney title.

Also, my Awesome Mix Vol. 2 which I posted about a few days ago is out for delivery, so it's coming today for sure. Based on this, I'm inclined to think that they are just running low on that specific CD, rather than this being indicative of a wider Disney CD problem. And, my next Amazon delivery (a book due out tomorrow) shipped on time and is expeted to arrive as scheduled tomorrow. So that also makes this delay look like an anomaly.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
How can there be an internet retailer that doesn't charge you sales tax? If your state collects sales taxes on internet purchases, wouldn't that apply to all of them?

Your state may have a sales tax on Internet items, however, the Internet site must have a physical presence in your state in order to be forced to collect that state's sales tax. Smaller Internet sites based in states other than yours will probably not charge you your state sales tax.

LEGALLY, YOU are required to send the sales tax on that item to your state. It would be interesting to find just one person who has ever done that!

In Florida, we used to have no sales tax collected by Amazon, and then Amazon built a shipping facility here, so now we pay taxes through Amazon.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
with this going on, I wonder if it is part of the reasoning that certain titles did not get announced. Specifically I am thinking of certain Marvel TV series that were Amazon exclusives last time, Season 3 of AOS and S2 of AC, both exclusive's to Amazon but only in North America, I believe that they were normal releases everywhere else. As stated before the real looser in this is the consumers.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
amazon is opening a bricks-and-mortar outlet here in Australia which will augment its Australian online presence.
I hope they don't try to divert Australian customers to the Australian outlets .. not because that would make merchandise attract GST (that would be defrayed by cheaper postage) but because copyright restrictions would prohibit sales of most US Blu rays.
I guess I can get around that by virtue of a VPN but everything's conspiring against Australian buyers! Paranoiac? For good reason....

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, the 2017 Beauty and the Beast blu-ray is still not available for pre-order.

I hope you are right though.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
LEGALLY, YOU are required to send the sales tax on that item to your state. It would be interesting to find just one person who has ever done that!

Hello my name is Ray, and I must admit we have actually sent in money for sales tax to the state of Illinois. Yeah, I'm just too damn honest, it's an issue at times ;)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It appears the Amazon-Disney war is ended. Evidence: the re-release of Bambi is pre-orderale!
Your turn, Warner.

Not clear yet. Pinocchio, Moana, Doctor Strange all had short windows where it was up, but it didn't last long and then it was gone until after release.
Even the vaulted Bambi was still available for years on Amazon so Bambi just doesn't seem to the high demand item the others are.
If when BatB shows up and how long it lasts will be much more telling, but if Rogue One didn't get Amazon to cave in, why now?

At least until Guardians 2, The expected fall signature (?Lion King), and Pirates 5 show up should be the next stress point.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There is still something shady going on. 3D versions of Doctor Strange, and Moana --oddly enough the two titles I had pre-ordered long before the power struggle--simply vanished. No "temporarily out of stock" on the page disclaimer, as the pages for both are gone.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
There is still something shady going on. 3D versions of Doctor Strange, and Moana --oddly enough the two titles I had pre-ordered long before the power struggle--simply vanished. No "temporarily out of stock" on the page disclaimer, as the pages for both are gone.

The current issue with Disney started at the end of November though- well before those 2 went up. A lot of items very briefly came up for preorders, but went OOS very quickly and took ages to ship for most people. Rogue One may have have a brief preorder though I don't remember it ever being active,.

Doctor Strange 3D seems to have otehr problems since almost no retailer other than BBY and DMC have had it in stock for over a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks