What's new

Amazon Feud with Disney, Warner (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I ended up cancelling both of the orders a while back for Moana, and Doctor Strange, after Amazon could not ship them. I had no idea the feud started way back in November.

I think I will give Best Buy my business for the 3D releases.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is the Warner half of the feud over? I'm not sure

Amazon currently has Lego Batman up for preorder. It does not have Kong: Skull Island up (that comes out 7/18). It does have up for preorder all the Warner/DC/CW shows (Flash/Arrow/Supergirl/Legends/Gotham).

It does not have Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017) up for preorder. That disc comes out in less than a month.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It does not have Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017) up for preorder. That disc comes out in less than a month.

Yes, but that was only announced today. Perhaps they won't be putting things up for pre-order until the studios announce them, which would be reasonable. If it is not posted by this weekend, I would agree something is fishy. I can't figure out why Bambi would be pre-orderable if the feud is not over. Who knows?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The preorder status itself has little to do with the impasse. Quite a few Disney since this whole thing started have either had preorder pages and even took orders briefly (Doctor Strange, Pinocchio, Moana, etc). They didn't last last, ended up mostly being delayed shipping, had short/no order page after release for quite a while (some never did).

Bambi is unusual in that it's order status has stayed up the longest, but the number of items ordered is likely very small given it's lesser interest amount non collectors and even that it was available pretty readily while it was technically in the vault. The BatB order will give a better answer -- if/when/how long an order page stays live. Since the Announcement was yesterday, BBY and Target have both updated their page, and Amazon still has nothing I'm not optimistic

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bambi has been removed now, and BATB is still not up yet, so I guess this stupid feud continues. Lego Batman remains available, albeit for an obscene price point, so maybe they've patched things up with Warner at least? Between the two studios, I buy far more Disney product.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Obscene -- I guess if meaning higher than you'd like, maybe but it's normal Amazon pricing?

It's 24.99 which has been pretty common for High profile WB lately esp 2+ week pre release,
3D is 29.99, and 4K is 29.27 which isn't out of line with other WB though that's an odd price.

Pretty much as expected right in lock step with BBY, Target, and Walmart. I wouldn't expect them to be priced less than the Big 3. Even Bullmoose has those same prices which is a bit unusual for them not to be a few dollars cheaper

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's worth noting that Amazon has is accepting orders for Bambi again. They say that it is in stock for shipment now and, if I bought it now, I would get it Thursday with Prime.

Of course, I don't need to double dip on Bambi so I'm not going to test that, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Beauty and the Beast, however, remains unavailable despite streeting today, and obviously Amazon will lose a lot more sales on that one than on Bambi. So the feud is not over. Wonder why Bambi, if it is in fact available now, should be an exception to this bizarre standoff.

After my negative experience with Best Buy this morning detailed in the Roundup thread for this week, I would really like to screw BB out of a sale by ordering it from Amazon...but since they don't have it available, Amazon loses my business again.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It's worth noting that Amazon has is accepting orders for Bambi again. They say that it is in stock for shipment now and, if I bought it now, I would get it Thursday with Prime.

Of course, I don't need to double dip on Bambi so I'm not going to test that, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Beauty and the Beast, however, remains unavailable despite streeting today, and obviously Amazon will lose a lot more sales on that one than on Bambi. So the feud is not over. Wonder why Bambi, if it is in fact available now, should be an exception to this bizarre standoff.

After my negative experience with Best Buy this morning detailed in the Roundup thread for this week, I would really like to screw BB out of a sale by ordering it from Amazon...but since they don't have it available, Amazon loses my business again.

Glad to know "the feud" is ending. I still think there should be a showdown by both parties on family feud!!

Hoping my Lego batman blu ray ships on time next week!!!
Crazy that it's at $25!!! Pricing has really gone up on new releases!!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Beauty and the Beast is now available on Amazon, for delivery tomorrow. No idea if this means the feud is over - I'll wait and see what happens with the next Disney pre-order. I got mine in the mail from Target today, with a spiffy book/disc set.

BTW, the Warner side of the feud appears to be finished, but can anyone tell me why the blu-ray (not 3D) of Kong Skull Island is $36?!?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Beauty and the Beast is now available on Amazon, for delivery tomorrow. No idea if this means the feud is over - I'll wait and see what happens with the next Disney pre-order. I got mine in the mail from Target today, with a spiffy book/disc set.

BTW, the Warner side of the feud appears to be finished, but can anyone tell me why the blu-ray (not 3D) of Kong Skull Island is $36?!?

It follows the usual pattern. Many Disney's will get a short window of preorder then go OOS until release day then open orders briefly and go OOS/Backordered very quickly again. Many people waited 3-6 weeks for Amazon orders of Doctor Strange or Moana to ship ordering during those brief windows. I think the low volume of Bambi orders likely made it look different, but it still followed the same overall pattern just in slow motion.

I'm guessing the next major preorders will be Pirates 5 (Labor Day +/- 1 wk release) and Guardians 2 I'm guessing for mid September release. Then Cars 3, Spiderman Homecoming, Thor. Probably the Fall Signature release (best guess Lion King) will show up in October. .

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm guessing the next major preorders will be Pirates 5 (Labor Day +/- 1 wk release) and Guardians 2 I'm guessing for mid September release. Then Cars 3, Spiderman Homecoming, Thor. Probably the Fall Signature release (best guess Lion King) will show up in October. .

Though Marvel is producing it for them, Spider-Man is being released by Sony per their ownership of his film rights. So *if* the Disney-Amazon feud is still going on then, it would be exempt because Sony will be distributing that disc.

You should be correct on Guardians. Captain America landed on September 13 last year after theatrical release on May 6, so they'll probably use the same week for Guardians, which would be September 12 off of a May 5 theatrical.

Pirates is another question. On Stranger Tides arrived on disc on October 18, 2011 after a theatrical release that was a week earlier than Dead Men Tell No Tales on the calendar this year. However, Dead Men is grossing less than Tides did and will likely disappear from theaters sooner, so you might be right that the Blu-ray release may be sped up.

I suspect that Guardians will be the next one announced, and then we'll see what Amazon does with the pre-order of it.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Got mine from the Disney movie club and it arrived yesterday (Monday).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

That is Warner's standard retail price for Blu-ray combo packs, although no one ever ends up paying that much because stores discount it. So, as of right now, it hasn't been discounted by Amazon yet.

Wonder Woman is up for pre-order already, too, and since it just opened in theaters, that, I think, is how we can really tell that the Warner side of this feud is finished. Wonder Woman is also currently not discounted, but I would be very surprised if a discount doesn't kick in for both Wonder Woman and Kong closer to their respective release dates.

I went ahead and clicked the pre-order button on Wonder Woman this morning so that I don't have to keep monitoring the price, since with their pre-order price guarantee they'll just give me the discount when it appears. On the bizarre off-chance that it doesn't get lowered before release, I'll cancel it and get it elsewhere, but I really doubt I'll have to do that.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Though Marvel is producing it for them, Spider-Man is being released by Sony per their ownership of his film rights. So *if* the Disney-Amazon feud is still going on then, it would be exempt because Sony will be distributing that disc.

You should be correct on Guardians. Captain America landed on September 13 last year after theatrical release on May 6, so they'll probably use the same week for Guardians, which would be September 12 off of a May 5 theatrical.

Pirates is another question. On Stranger Tides arrived on disc on October 18, 2011 after a theatrical release that was a week earlier than Dead Men Tell No Tales on the calendar this year. However, Dead Men is grossing less than Tides did and will likely disappear from theaters sooner, so you might be right that the Blu-ray release may be sped up.

I suspect that Guardians will be the next one announced, and then we'll see what Amazon does with the pre-order of it.

Explains a lot with Spiderman that was confusing me. I saw a preview during BatB with a Disney label and a Disney Release Calendar, but I couldn't for the life of me figure how Disney got that. I thought Iron Man might have pulled something.
Hard to know with Pirates -- Bluray release is so much different than 2011 I don't think that could tell much, but Jungle Book last year had an April theatrical release and Aug 30 Bluray.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the Warner side of the feud appears to be finished

'Unforgiven' UHD still isn't available. I have yet to see it in stores. I had it pre-ordered, and eventually cancelled it.

This feud is beyond irritating. Maybe I can get this two week old "new release" sometime by the end of this year!:angry:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
'Unforgiven' UHD still isn't available. I have yet to see it in stores. I had it pre-ordered, and eventually cancelled it.

If it hasn't been seen in stores either, might it have been delayed by the studio to a different release date? I don't buy UHD titles so I don't know, but this seems like it might be an isolated incident related to a specific title rather than being indicative of the feud.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw a preview during BatB with a Disney label and a Disney Release Calendar, but I couldn't for the life of me figure how Disney got that.

All the trailers I have seen have had the Sony/Colombia Pictures logo and the Marvel Studios logo. I'm not sure what you've seen, but it is being made by Marvel as part of their regular slate of films, but paid for and released by Sony.

Jungle Book last year had an April theatrical release and Aug 30 Bluray.

You are right about that. I would not be surprised if you are correct that Pirates will end up in September, especially as quickly as it seems to be eroding at the box office. However, if they're using September 12 for Guardians, I would think that Pirates will likely be a couple weeks after that nearer to the end of the month. I would be very surprised if it were to be released around Labor Day because that would be a shorter window than Guardians, which was released first. But then, I didn't expect them to release Beauty and the Beast until Labor Day and that Blu-ray is sitting on my desk next to me as I type this, so obviously their release patterns are changing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If it hasn't been seen in stores either, might it have been delayed by the studio to a different release date? I don't buy UHD titles so I don't know, but this seems like it might be an isolated incident related to a specific title rather than being indicative of the feud.

Maybe. I have noticed in other threads people mentioned they purchased it in stores, so it has been released. I'm not sure as to why the shortage of this particular title. It is odd.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't know how to explain Unforgiven, then. The optimist in me says maybe it just really oversold expectations and they need to print more copies?

Anyway, I also just noticed that The Lego Batman Movie standard DVD-only release is listed on their site, but currently unavailable for order. (See here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJKXY4R). This likely would not affect anybody on this forum I am guessing (I have the Blu-ray on order), but it's interesting.

Then again, even when Disney and Amazon were cooperating, many times last year the DVD-only versions of their releases were never pre-orderable, and only came in stock after the release. I presume this is a part of Disney's strategy to discourage DVD sales in favor of getting more people to buy Blu-ray whether they need it or not. So perhaps Amazon is now doing the same thing with Warner titles.

Out of curiosity, I signed up to receive an email notification from Amazon when the standard DVD of Lego Batman is available for order, so I'll be interested to see when I receive that notice. If it is just a strategy to goose Blu-ray-inclusive pre-orders and not indicative of a larger problem, then it should pop up for sale in about a week when the disc is released.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks